FAQ: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-5) - Page 48
Page 48 of 356 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-5)

Welcome to the New Age... yourlilemogirl's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow yourlilemogirl On Twitter
    Visit yourlilemogirl's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Simple Questions/Simple Answers v.4 (Gen IV/V)

@woaska
    hmm? it was to my understanding that the items wouldn't work 100% of the time, only encourage that iv to be chosen :o
    but if this is true, then this is news to me! yay :)

as for Q #2, i mean like..

Let's say 2 pokemon both have perfect Speed, mk? And i really want that IV passed to the egg. If i give both parents a Power Anklet, is it now even more likely the baby will inherit the perfect speed iv from it's parents, or is that probability the same if only 1 parent has the anklet? (bottom line: does giving the same iv item to both parents help the odds of the baby getting that iv as opposed to only one of the parents holding the iv item?)

Click to see my Trade Want/Offering Thread(:

Quote Originally Posted by yourlilemogirl View Post
    @woaska
    hmm? it was to my understanding that the items wouldn't work 100% of the time, only encourage that iv to be chosen :o
    but if this is true, then this is news to me! yay :)

as for Q #2, i mean like..

Let's say 2 pokemon both have perfect Speed, mk? And i really want that IV passed to the egg. If i give both parents a Power Anklet, is it now even more likely the baby will inherit the perfect speed iv from it's parents, or is that probability the same if only 1 parent has the anklet? (bottom line: does giving the same iv item to both parents help the odds of the baby getting that iv as opposed to only one of the parents holding the iv item?)
    That's wrong. The EV-items work to 100% when breeding. Having a 31 IV'd attack Shellder holding a Power Bracer and breed with whatever, will result in offsprings with 31 IVs in attack, ALL will have it. (For example)

As I just explained, only one item is needed. A good combo is a power-item on one parent, an everstone on the other one (if the parent have the nature you want for your offspring.

Also, is it possible that two other IVs from your parents will be passed down to your offspring, but you can't do anything to control it (unless you doing RNGing). And the other three will always be complete random. But maybe you already knew that. :]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by woaska View Post
    That's wrong. The EV-items work to 100% when breeding. Having a 31 IV'd attack Shellder holding a Power Bracer and breed with whatever, will result in offsprings with 31 IVs in attack, ALL will have it. (For example)

As I just explained, only one item is needed. A good combo is a power-item on one parent, an everstone on the other one (if the parent have the nature you want for your offspring.

Also, is it possible that two other IVs from your parents will be passed down to your offspring, but you can't do anything to control it (unless you doing RNGing). And the other three will always be complete random. But maybe you already knew that. :]
    Mk great, thanks for clearing that up :D

Ya, i knew about the 3 random bits, though i had read from different sources (though outdated) that during the phase when the game chooses at random something to pass down, that it is possible for the same iv stat to be chosen, thus overwriting the previously chosen iv passed down (either by help of power item or by sheer randomness). So, going along with your example, even if the game gives the offspring the 31 in attack thanks to the power brace, (based on what i've read from smogon) can that be overwritten with another iv when it later goes on to determine the last 2 ivs (from the parents) to be passed on?

ie..
    -parent A passes on 31 in attk (holding power item)
    --offspring now has 31 in atk.
    ---parent B is chosen to pass on atk.(6) and sp.atk. (19)
    ----offspring now has a 6 in atk and 19 in sp.atk.

Ya, i knew about the 3 random bits, though i had read from different sources (though outdated) that during the phase when the game chooses at random something to pass down, that it is possible for the same iv stat to be chosen, thus overwriting the previously chosen iv passed down (either by help of power item or by sheer randomness). So, going along with your example, even if the game gives the offspring the 31 in attack thanks to the power brace, (based on what i've read from smogon) can that be overwritten with another iv when it later goes on to determine the last 2 ivs (from the parents) to be passed on?
    To be honest, I know very little about this overwriting stuff. I have never experience that another IV been in the place where I got the power item, so I would say, you're pretty safe with it, haha.

Blog Entries

To be honest, I know very little about this overwriting stuff. I have never experience that another IV been in the place where I got the power item, so I would say, you're pretty safe with it, haha.
    i hope you're right lol

if anyone else would like to hop in on this, feel free to enlighten me cuz i want to get to know the ins and outs of this stuff before i get frustrated while trying it 1st hand lol

Lick...Lick...Lick :P ShinyRiolu's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit ShinyRiolu's Youtube Channel

Default Re: What is a good Pokemon Black Team?

That's just great! Thanks a lot. Btw, is it the same in Pearl? I've only played Platinum and there you have to kill/catch Giratina to complete the game, right? Is it the same in Pearl but Palkia instead? If it is, can I kill it and make it respawn later?
    On behalf of PkmnGreen, lol, yes. At Turnback Cave I believe.

EDIT: my bad, I thought you meant Giratina. If you mean Palkia, then I'm unsure.

i hope you're right lol

if anyone else would like to hop in on this, feel free to enlighten me cuz i want to get to know the ins and outs of this stuff before i get frustrated while trying it 1st hand lol
    Well, I can't tell you I'm 100% sure because I've no source. But to be honest, I breed a lot of Pokémons, I check their IVs and the power item stat have never been anything different than the parents holding the item (31).

All I can tell you is to look it up on bulbapedia, I would do but I'm to lazy at the moment, I'll edit my reply once I'm feeling no-lazy(!), if you haven't confirmed by yourself first though.

ie..
    -parent A passes on 31 in attk (holding power item)
    --offspring now has 31 in atk.
    ---parent B is chosen to pass on atk.(6) and sp.atk. (19)
    ----offspring now has a 6 in atk and 19 in sp.atk.
    It is 100% guaranteed that one parent with one power item will pass that stat on. I've done it enough to be sure.

If you have one power item on each pokemon you are guaranteed to get one of those stats, I'm pretty sure that which one is chosen at random. If you get both, it was luck. It's usually safest to just put one item on one parent to be safe though.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Older Games: Simple Questions Thread

I have a question about emerald's battle frontier. I've just started with the battle frontier a little while ago and still haven't managed to get a streak long enough to go up against a frontier brain (I was close for battle factory tho!). When I finally get to this point will they approach you independently after you are back in the lobby of a battle facility or will they just replace one of those random NPC's you face during a run in a facility? Do you have an option of leaving and coming back at a later time to challenge them? Can u get a rematch with a frontier brain if you lose right away or have to go do a streak all over again?

Blog Entries

@AshK

The frontier Brain is the last NPC you challenge that round.
    You can save like you can inbetween other rounds, but if you reset or lose, you have to start over from round 1 and work your way back up to them.
    Which means fighting them twice if you lost on the match for the Gold symbol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miar View Post
    @AshK

The frontier Brain is the last NPC you challenge that round.
    You can save like you can inbetween other rounds, but if you reset or lose, you have to start over from round 1 and work your way back up to them.
    Which means fighting them twice if you lost on the match for the Gold symbol
    Thanks for quick reply! ugh, its gonna be so painful to get the gold symbols for facilities like battle factory and battle tower but o well.

Blog Entries

Well, I can't tell you I'm 100% sure because I've no source. But to be honest, I breed a lot of Pokémons, I check their IVs and the power item stat have never been anything different than the parents holding the item (31).

All I can tell you is to look it up on bulbapedia, I would do but I'm to lazy at the moment, I'll edit my reply once I'm feeling no-lazy(!), if you haven't confirmed by yourself first though.
    Quote Originally Posted by thetifftiff View Post
    It is 100% guaranteed that one parent with one power item will pass that stat on. I've done it enough to be sure.

If you have one power item on each pokemon you are guaranteed to get one of those stats, I'm pretty sure that which one is chosen at random. If you get both, it was luck. It's usually safest to just put one item on one parent to be safe though.
    ya, i've already check bulbapedia, and thanks guys. i guess the only other way for me to be sure myself, is to try this stuff again 1st hand :)
    thanks again guys for all the help! :D

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PkmnGreen View Post
    Don't think you can be one, but you can choose others at the start.
    Do you mean just restart each time until Backpacker is an option?

Blog Entries

Does anyone have any tips for the Visual contest in the DPPt Super Contests? I'm trying the Cool Contest Master rank (I got the Cute and Smart Master rank ribbons), and my pokemon is holding the Red Scarf, but I can't seem to get more than 6 hearts (And I'm usually ending up with 5, while the other contestants get 6-8). Sadly, my Pokemon's Sheen is full so I can't feed it any more Poffins, but the Cool stat is more than halfway (I tried to balance it out as best as possible between the 5 stats).

Is there anything else I can do to get more hearts (I've been trying to match the themes as best as possible)?
    3DS FC: 0387 9244 2121

i need help picking movesets for my current team

i am currently using:
    Lapras
    Crobat
    Tyranitar
    Infernape
    Garchomp
    Eelektross

I am also not sure if i should keep lapras, i would like to hear suggestions for any better ice types
    3DS FC: 2638 0331 2172