FAQ: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-5) - Page 230
Page 230 of 351 FirstFirst ... 130180220228229230231232240280330 ... LastLast
Results 3,436 to 3,450 of 5254

Thread: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-5)

Hell's Demon Fox Truthseeker4449's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Visit Truthseeker4449's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gen 5)

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGON PIRANHA View Post
    2 got any special advice on catching legendary without master balls?
    I would like to build on Lavender Frost's advice by saving just before you start the battle. It will save you quite a few headaches in the future. And avoiding using status moves or Pokemon with abilities that inflict damage to the target. You could also tailor your Poke Ball inventory to the specific legendary. For example, if you were trying to catch Groudon in HeartGold or SoulSilver, you should bring a few Heavy Balls. I would also bring one Quick Ball and use it from the start, it just might work.

As for the Exp Shares, you can get some through the lotto (Gens II - IV) and from the Battle Company and the Fan Club Chairman (Black and White only).

Super Moderator Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

Cool thanks i forgot to post the 3rd question.

Is there ways to get more than one EXPSHARE?
    You can have someone trade an Experience Share to you to get more than one.

Let's make this showy Captain Marvelous's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Truthseeker4449 View Post
    2 got any special advice on catching legendary without master balls?
    I would like to build on Lavender Frost's advice by saving just before you start the battle. It will save you quite a few headaches in the future. And avoiding using status moves or Pokemon with abilities that inflict damage to the target. You could also tailor your Poke Ball inventory to the specific legendary. For example, if you were trying to catch Groudon in HeartGold or SoulSilver, you should bring a few Heavy Balls. I would also bring one Quick Ball and use it from the start, it just might work.

As for the Exp Shares, you can get some through the lotto (Gens II - IV) and from the Battle Company and the Fan Club Chairman (Black and White only).
    Cool thanks that explains my WHITE which i haven't play in year having 2 EXPSHARE's i must have won it.
    as for HO-OH and KYOGRE what specialty balls do i use for them.

PS if iam bothering people with my i have only played roughly 48 hours of Pokemon experiance since emerald. 38 in platinum still have to beat the elite four and about 6 in WHITE and 4 in heartgold (which i am restarting if i can find somebody that will trade me a female charmander preferable shiny)

Hell's Demon Fox Truthseeker4449's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Visit Truthseeker4449's Youtube Channel

Cool thanks that explains my WHITE which i haven't play in year having 2 EXPSHARE's i must have won it.
    Net Balls would work well on Kyogre, I don't think are any that will work exceptionally well against Ho-Oh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you fight Ho-oh at night, you can use dusk balls, or a timer ball once the battle goes on long enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anser View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctander View Post
    I wanna raise a Nidoran male in White.
    I have now read too much about EV and IV, and it makes my head spin :(

First off - What would you guys recommend as a nature for my Nidoking (Yes, I plan to make him a Nidoking)
    I haven't decided on his moveset, so I don't know if I want Sp. Atck og Attack to dominate. But I do want him to strike hard and strike fast. Should I sacrifice sp.dfc or Defence? Neutral?

Ok, let me help you with this.

IVs stand for "Individual Values". Individual Values are like your Pokémon's genes. You can't see them or change them. Each Pokémon has IVs in its six different stats. By this, I mean all Pokémon have a certain amount of IVs in HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense and Speed. The IVs are represented in numbers that vary from 0 to 31. The higher the number, the better that stat will be. This means you will always want your Pokémon to have 31 IVs in its stats, because that means it will be great at that. There are ways to see if your Pokémon has good IVs in one stat, though, and it's looking at its characteristic. Below your Pokémon's description (where it says where and when you caught it, and its nature) you can see a description. This description marks the Pokémon's stat with the highest IVs. Here's the list of all the characteristics and how many IVs it can represent: Characteristic - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Also, you can go to the Battle Subway, where there's a blue-haired guy who will tell you your Pokémon's best stat and how great it is. If he tells you "It can't be better in that regard", it means it has 31 in the stat he mentioned.

Now, EVs stand for "Effort Values". Every Pokémon yields EVs in different stats. That means, when you defeat them, they "give you points" in a certain stat. For example, if you defeat a Machop, you will gain 1 EV in Attack. If you defeat an Abra, you will gain 1 EV in Special Attack. If you defeat a Zubat, you will gain an EV in Speed.

The highest amount of EVs you can put to a single stat is 252, and the total of possible EVs for a Pokémon is 510. That means, you can max two stats (meaning you can put 252 in two different stats, and then you'd be left with 6 EVs). That would mean, if you want a Pokémon to have 252 EVs in Attack, you would have to defeat 252 Machop, Lillipup, Patrat or whatever Pokémon that yields EVs in Attack. However, there are many ways to make this process much easier and quicker:

First of all, you can buy Vitamins. Each vitamin gives you 10 EVs in a certain stat, and you can only give a Pokémon 10 vitamins per stat. Let's say you give 10 Proteins to your Nidoran. 10 Proteins x 10 EVs in Attack that each one of them gives you = 100 EVs in Attack. There are still 152 EVs left to reach the maximum of 252.

Now, get your Pokémon infected with Pokérus. What is Pokérus? It's a beneficial virus that makes a Pokémon gain twice the EVs it would normally gain when defeating a Pokémon. If your Nidoran has Pokérus, when it defeats a Patrat, instead of gaining 1 EV in Attack, it will gain 2 EVs. Neat, isn't it? (Before you ask, there isn't a specific way to get Pokérus. It's easier to find a shiny Pokémon than to get Pokérus, so go figure. You can always ask here for a Pokémon that has Pokérus so it can "infect" your Pokémon).

However, there are still other ways to make this easier. At the Battle Subway, you can buy power items, which are like bracelets. Each of them costs 16 Battle Points. There are six braces: one for HP, one for Attack, one for Defense, one for Special Attack, one for Special Defense and one for Speed. Now, what do these braces do? They make you gain 4 EVs more than you normally would in a certain stat.

Let's say your Nidoran is holding the Power Bracer, which is the bracelet that gives you 4 EVs in Attack. You just defeated a Lillipup. Good, that's 1 EV in Attack, + 4 EVs you get from the Power Bracer, means you get 5 EVs. But wait, you have Pokérus, which multiplies this number by 2. This means you end up getting 10 EVs in Attack for every single Lillipup you defeat. If you defeat 15 Lillipups, you'll get 150 EVs. If you add that to the 100 you already had from the Proteins, that means you have 250 EVs. Now, you can remove the Power Bracer and defeat one more Lillipup to get the 2 EVs left. There you go, you maxed your Attack stat! That, paired with 31 IVs in Attack will make your Nidoking a beast. It would be great if your Nidoking also had 31 IVs in Speed and you maxed that stat with 252 EVs in Speed.

Now, about that Nidoking. I trained one myself, and here's how I trained it:

Nidoking @Leftovers
    Jolly nature 252 Attack / 252 Speed / 6 HP

-Poison Jab
    -Earthquake
    -Megahorn
    -Sucker Punch

Its IVs are 17 HP / 31 Attack / 18 Defense / 6 Special Attack / 11 Special Defense / 29 Speed

I hope all this helped! I really wanted to make it as less confusing as I could... Feel free to ask anything you don't understand ;)
    Yeah I'd also just like to say thanks for the way you've explained all this. I had never understood nor taken the time to understand any of it until I came across your post.
    Feels really good to finally have a grasp of this now! Thanks
    Last edited by Narcisse; 1st September 2012 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Mucked up the quotation

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Got any advice getting shiny pokemon and how do you breed them as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Got any advice getting shiny pokemon and how do you breed them as well.
    Shinies are pretty rare. Often if you want them you need to look for them. There's always the possibility of running into random shinies, as Ive done so before. I'd suggest just encountering lots of Pokemon and don't use Repels. Though there are other ways to get them. You can Soft Reset stationary Pokemon by saving the game right befor encountering the Pokemon and if it isn't shiny that time, reset the game and try again, though this can take a very long time to get a shiny. Masuda Method has better odds, to use Masuda Method for breeding shinies, put a Pokemon from your language game in the Daycare with a Pokemon from a different language game, such as a Japanese Pokemon. Make sure the Pokemon are in the same Egg group. Two of the same Pokemon will produce eggs faster. Make sure to use an Everstone if you want a certain nature or the male Pokemon knows any moves you want to pass down. When hatching the eggs, try having a Pokemon with Flame Body in your party which reduces the hatching time by half. This may take a long time to hatch a shiny baby Pokemon but it is much better odds than just encountering a shiny or resetting for one, though not all Pokemon can be bred, so breeding will not get you any Pokemon shiny that is unable to breed such as a Legendary.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedRag View Post
    Yeah I'd also just like to say thanks for the way you've explained all this. I had never understood nor taken the time to understand any of it until I came across your post.
    Feels really good to finally have a grasp of this now! Thanks
    You're very welcome! It's a very easy and quick process once you get the hang of it. It really pleases me to know my post was helpful to someone. Ask me any question you have!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When somebody uses an action replay on pokemon games whats the chance of something really bad going wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I made a tough bet! help!

Quote Originally Posted by justinhall8686 View Post
    okay so I made a drunk bet with my friend that I could raise a Venusaur in Pokemon Blue that could beat his Charizard because we were debating whether grass pokemon were good or not (i love them). Now I'm realizing this is a very tough task. Could you help me with any tips or suggestions or is this just not even possible? thanks!
    Umm well for a start pokemon and Alcohol do not go...

Anyway, I dont know how many pokemon you are alive, or if you are allowed to restore your health or not... If you can, go in with a lot of Full restores and (max) Revives.

I dont know the level or your friends charizard, but if its level 100, it might be impossible. The only thing I can recommend is you find out some moves that Venasaur can learn through levelling up or TM/HM learnset that are super effective against charizard. If you cant find any, then the only hope you have is sleep or poison powder...

good luck my friends, let this be a lesson to you not to drink ;)

Huge thanks to Blue Dragon for my EPIC avatar & sig

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When somebody uses an action replay on pokemon games whats the chance of something really bad going wrong?
    There is always a risk using a cheating device. I think if you are worried about screwing up your game to not use one or use only codes that are tested and confirmed to work the right way. If you are in doubt about any code or cheat, do not use it.

一級空手家! Water Max's Avatar Bulbanews Writer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Follow Water Max On Twitter Add Water Max on Facebook
    Add Water Max on Linkedin Follow Water Max on Tumblr Visit Water Max's Youtube Channel

Default Re: I made a tough bet! help!

Quote Originally Posted by mwetwe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by justinhall8686 View Post
    okay so I made a drunk bet with my friend that I could raise a Venusaur in Pokemon Blue that could beat his Charizard because we were debating whether grass pokemon were good or not (i love them). Now I'm realizing this is a very tough task. Could you help me with any tips or suggestions or is this just not even possible? thanks!
    I dont know the level or your friends charizard, but if its level 100, it might be impossible. The only thing I can recommend is you find out some moves that Venasaur can learn through levelling up or TM/HM learnset that are super effective against charizard. If you cant find any, then the only hope you have is sleep or poison powder...
    Venusaur can't learn any super effective moves against Charizard in Generation I. I agree that Sleep Powder and Poison Powder would be useful. I think if you want to defeat a Charizard with a Venusaur you should use TMs to teach it very powerful Normal type moves such as Hyper Beam or Double Edge, some good non-damaging moves such as Reflect or Double Team and finally Toxic which is the only damaging move which Venusaur will recieve STAB for and have a 1x normal effect on Charizard (Grass type moves are 0.25x not very effective against Charizard).
    Last edited by Water Max; 2nd September 2012 at 01:59 PM.
    Staff member of Bulbanews (Writer).
    Original Poster of the Kingdom of Pokémon [v1.5]-[v4].
    I've claimed Cacturne, Suicune, Hustle, Hydro Cannon and Gary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When do you get the pal pad in heart gold and soul silver?

Nope Setra's Avatar Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow Setra on Tumblr

When do you get the pal pad in heart gold and soul silver?
    I believe that you get it at a Pokemon center, at the bottom floor. If not there than its the first lady at the top floor.