FAQ: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-5) - Page 227

Page 227 of 346 FirstFirst ... 127177217225226227228229237277327 ... LastLast
Results 3,391 to 3,405 of 5184
Like Tree209Likes

Thread: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-5)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gen 5)

Quote Originally Posted by Anser View Post
    Nevermind, I found the Shuppet. Wow, that is annoying for sure. I befriended five Pokémon in total, so that means I'm going to have to wait FIVE DAYS to have them all in my game?!
    You can only send one befriended Pokemon to your game. Once you end your DW session, your list of befriended Pokemon is cleared, and you will have to befriend the other Pokemon again during the next DW session.

Claims: , , Turboblaze, Fusion Flare ➝ icon/banner ★ pixiv

Default Re: Simple Questions/Simple Answers v.4 (Gen IV/V)

Sorry if this should be obvious, but I'm not sure if the answer's a straight no, or if I just can't find the proper method yet :) I'm working on building a Pokémon suitable for trapping the wandering Legendary, and I pulled up Mean Look, its variants, Shadow Tag, and its variants. I noticed on Shadow Tag that my favorite Pokémon of all time, the Litwick family, has Shadow Tag as its Hidden Ability. I know I can't get a Generation V Pokémon in the Dream World before B2W2 are out, but it doesn't seem to be in the Dream World to begin with, unless the list simply isn't complete yet [since I don't think all B2W2 information is available yet?] or if there's some other, more arcane method for acquiring a Hidden Ability Litwick.

If it's simply not possible, I'll go with a Mean Look Misdreavous or something; I already have one of those I can level, and a spare Dusk Stone to use. But I'd vastly prefer a Chandalure. Even if I have to find somebody in Japan to trade with me, I'd prefer to go that route if it exists :)
    Last edited by lostdrewid; 23rd August 2012 at 11:51 AM.

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

Dream World Litwick isn't available anywhere yet, even in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavender Frost View Post
    Dream World Litwick isn't available anywhere yet, even in Japan.
    Damn, was afraid that might be the case, but I had to hope. Thank you for the quick response!

I wanna raise a Nidoran male in White.
    I have now read too much about EV and IV, and it makes my head spin :(

First off - What would you guys recommend as a nature for my Nidoking (Yes, I plan to make him a Nidoking)
    I haven't decided on his moveset, so I don't know if I want Sp. Atck og Attack to dominate. But I do want him to strike hard and strike fast. Should I sacrifice sp.dfc or Defence? Neutral?

Quote Originally Posted by Arctander View Post
    I wanna raise a Nidoran male in White.
    I have now read too much about EV and IV, and it makes my head spin :(

First off - What would you guys recommend as a nature for my Nidoking (Yes, I plan to make him a Nidoking)
    I haven't decided on his moveset, so I don't know if I want Sp. Atck og Attack to dominate. But I do want him to strike hard and strike fast. Should I sacrifice sp.dfc or Defence? Neutral?
    Ok, let me help you with this.

IVs stand for "Individual Values". Individual Values are like your Pokémon's genes. You can't see them or change them. Each Pokémon has IVs in its six different stats. By this, I mean all Pokémon have a certain amount of IVs in HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense and Speed. The IVs are represented in numbers that vary from 0 to 31. The higher the number, the better that stat will be. This means you will always want your Pokémon to have 31 IVs in its stats, because that means it will be great at that. There are ways to see if your Pokémon has good IVs in one stat, though, and it's looking at its characteristic. Below your Pokémon's description (where it says where and when you caught it, and its nature) you can see a description. This description marks the Pokémon's stat with the highest IVs. Here's the list of all the characteristics and how many IVs it can represent: Characteristic - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Also, you can go to the Battle Subway, where there's a blue-haired guy who will tell you your Pokémon's best stat and how great it is. If he tells you "It can't be better in that regard", it means it has 31 in the stat he mentioned.

Now, EVs stand for "Effort Values". Every Pokémon yields EVs in different stats. That means, when you defeat them, they "give you points" in a certain stat. For example, if you defeat a Machop, you will gain 1 EV in Attack. If you defeat an Abra, you will gain 1 EV in Special Attack. If you defeat a Zubat, you will gain an EV in Speed.

The highest amount of EVs you can put to a single stat is 252, and the total of possible EVs for a Pokémon is 510. That means, you can max two stats (meaning you can put 252 in two different stats, and then you'd be left with 6 EVs). That would mean, if you want a Pokémon to have 252 EVs in Attack, you would have to defeat 252 Machop, Lillipup, Patrat or whatever Pokémon that yields EVs in Attack. However, there are many ways to make this process much easier and quicker:

First of all, you can buy Vitamins. Each vitamin gives you 10 EVs in a certain stat, and you can only give a Pokémon 10 vitamins per stat. Let's say you give 10 Proteins to your Nidoran. 10 Proteins x 10 EVs in Attack that each one of them gives you = 100 EVs in Attack. There are still 152 EVs left to reach the maximum of 252.

Now, get your Pokémon infected with Pokérus. What is Pokérus? It's a beneficial virus that makes a Pokémon gain twice the EVs it would normally gain when defeating a Pokémon. If your Nidoran has Pokérus, when it defeats a Patrat, instead of gaining 1 EV in Attack, it will gain 2 EVs. Neat, isn't it? (Before you ask, there isn't a specific way to get Pokérus. It's easier to find a shiny Pokémon than to get Pokérus, so go figure. You can always ask here for a Pokémon that has Pokérus so it can "infect" your Pokémon).

However, there are still other ways to make this easier. At the Battle Subway, you can buy power items, which are like bracelets. Each of them costs 16 Battle Points. There are six braces: one for HP, one for Attack, one for Defense, one for Special Attack, one for Special Defense and one for Speed. Now, what do these braces do? They make you gain 4 EVs more than you normally would in a certain stat.

Let's say your Nidoran is holding the Power Bracer, which is the bracelet that gives you 4 EVs in Attack. You just defeated a Lillipup. Good, that's 1 EV in Attack, + 4 EVs you get from the Power Bracer, means you get 5 EVs. But wait, you have Pokérus, which multiplies this number by 2. This means you end up getting 10 EVs in Attack for every single Lillipup you defeat. If you defeat 15 Lillipups, you'll get 150 EVs. If you add that to the 100 you already had from the Proteins, that means you have 250 EVs. Now, you can remove the Power Bracer and defeat one more Lillipup to get the 2 EVs left. There you go, you maxed your Attack stat! That, paired with 31 IVs in Attack will make your Nidoking a beast. It would be great if your Nidoking also had 31 IVs in Speed and you maxed that stat with 252 EVs in Speed.

Now, about that Nidoking. I trained one myself, and here's how I trained it:

Nidoking @Leftovers
    Jolly nature 252 Attack / 252 Speed / 6 HP

-Poison Jab
    -Earthquake
    -Megahorn
    -Sucker Punch

Its IVs are 17 HP / 31 Attack / 18 Defense / 6 Special Attack / 11 Special Defense / 29 Speed

I hope all this helped! I really wanted to make it as less confusing as I could... Feel free to ask anything you don't understand ;)

EDIT: Something I forgot to add: ALL new Pokémon, whether they're newly caught, at whatever level, or newly hatched from their Eggs, have 0 EVs overall. They have no EVs in any stat. Even if you catch a level 95 Pokémon, it will have 0 EVs, meaning that if the Pokémon is new at whatever condition, you can start their EV training from scratch. Also, if you make a mistake by defeating a Pokémon that yields EVs you don't want, there are special Berries that can help you decrease the EVs you have. It's always important to have in mind how many EVs you have given your Pokémon and in which stats.
    Last edited by Anser; 2nd September 2012 at 04:48 PM.
    Narcisse likes this.

Good job Anser. That came across clearer than most stuff I've read ^^

More questions!

How do I get a Nido with the IV qualities I want? I also want it to have the hidden ability Hustle (and Sheer Force in the end)

Also, Sucker Punch was a good idea. How can I easiest breed that through to my Nidoran?

In my head this seems a little complicated

Are the pre-orders for the English versions of B2W2 out yet?

一級空手家! Water Max's Avatar Bulbanews Writer
    Blog Entries
    Follow Water Max On Twitter Add Water Max on Facebook
    Add Water Max on Linkedin Follow Water Max on Tumblr Visit Water Max's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by goombario64 View Post
    Yes, by your local time I think you live in North America and B2W2 release in that continent on 7 October.
    Staff member of Bulbanews (Writer).
    Original Poster of the Kingdom of Pokémon [v1.5]-[v4].
    I've claimed Cacturne, Suicune, Hustle, Hydro Cannon and Gary.

Is the Pokemon Platinum Prima Guide useful enough? Shall I buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by Arctander View Post
    Good job Anser. That came across clearer than most stuff I've read ^^

More questions!

How do I get a Nido with the IV qualities I want? I also want it to have the hidden ability Hustle (and Sheer Force in the end)

Also, Sucker Punch was a good idea. How can I easiest breed that through to my Nidoran?

In my head this seems a little complicated
    That's good to know; EV training was very hard for me to understand when I started learning about it so I explained everything in the way I would've liked someone to have explained it to me. I'm glad to know that you understood! Now, about your questions:

You can't control IVs, so it's all a matter of luck. You can always use an IV Calculator to get an approximate of your Pokémon's IVs, and have the Stats Judge tell you your Pokémon's overall potential (decent, above average, relatively superior or outstanding). To get Pokémon with Hidden Abilities, you have to create an account on Pokémon Dream World and try to find a Nidoran there. All Pokémon found in the Dream World have their hidden abilities. Sucker Punch is a tutor move, so you have to teach it to him in Pokémon Platinum (or you can wait until Pokémon Black 2/White 2 gets released). I'm not sure if tutor moves can be bred through, though.

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

What are the odds (in percentage) of a wild Luvdsic in Ruby holding a Heart Scale?

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Welcome to the New Age... yourlilemogirl's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow yourlilemogirl On Twitter
    Visit yourlilemogirl's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye Blue Monday View Post
    What are the odds (in percentage) of a wild Luvdisc in Ruby holding a Heart Scale?
    50%

Click to see my Trade Want/Offering Thread(:

Quote Originally Posted by Water Max View Post
    Yes, by your local time I think you live in North America and B2W2 release in that continent on 7 October.
    So where would I go to pre-order it online?

一級空手家! Water Max's Avatar Bulbanews Writer
    Blog Entries
    Follow Water Max On Twitter Add Water Max on Facebook
    Add Water Max on Linkedin Follow Water Max on Tumblr Visit Water Max's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Water Max View Post
    So where would I go to pre-order it online?
    Any website which sells video games such as Gamestop (here is the main page for preordering Pokemon Black and White 2 on the Gamestop webiste) or Amazon (see these links for Black 2 and White 2). I live in the UK so I don't know many chain stores in the USA which sell video games.
    Staff member of Bulbanews (Writer).
    Original Poster of the Kingdom of Pokémon [v1.5]-[v4].
    I've claimed Cacturne, Suicune, Hustle, Hydro Cannon and Gary.