Should Generation 1, 2, and 3 games be released for iOS devices or Nintendo E-shop? - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Should Generation 1, 2, and 3 games be released for iOS devices or Nintendo E-shop?

Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Should Generation 1, 2, and 3 games be released for iOS devices or Nintendo E-sho

Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    Nintendo eShop? Definitely. I wouldn't be surprised if in 2016, we see Red & Blue released on the 3DS Virtual Console and FireRed and LeafGreen on the Wii U one (as the Wii U will have GBA games). Just tweak them a bit to allow trading via the 3DS' and Wii U's wireless. 20th anniversary and all that.
    Nothing of what you just suggested makes any sense.

Why would they release remakes simultaneously with the originals but on different consoles? Why would they release games for the Wii U when Game Freak is against putting the main series on home consoles for communication reasons? And more importantly, how would you solve the problem of intra-console trading?

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Should Generation 1, 2, and 3 games be released for iOS devices or Nintendo E-sho

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    Nintendo eShop? Definitely. I wouldn't be surprised if in 2016, we see Red & Blue released on the 3DS Virtual Console and FireRed and LeafGreen on the Wii U one (as the Wii U will have GBA games). Just tweak them a bit to allow trading via the 3DS' and Wii U's wireless. 20th anniversary and all that.
    Nothing of what you just suggested makes any sense.

Why would they release remakes simultaneously with the originals but on different consoles? Why would they release games for the Wii U when Game Freak is against putting the main series on home consoles for communication reasons? And more importantly, how would you solve the problem of intra-console trading?
    The 3DS Virtual Console has Gameboy titles, not Gameboy Advance titles. The Wii U Virtual Console however, will have Gameboy Advance titles but does not have Gameboy titles. The 3DS may have received 10 GBA games as part of the Ambassador Program, but outside of said program, they aren't going to be released to the public. Personally, I think it would make more sense for the GBA games to be on the 3DS Virtual Console, but that's what Nintendo decided. Releasing RB for 3DS and FRLG for Wii U pretty much just guarantees them more money.

Other virtual console games such as Street Fighter II have been tweaked to allow for Wi-Fi matches. It wouldn't surprise me if any Pokémon game was made available on the Virtual Console was updated to allow for trading via local wireless (3DS) or Nintendo Network (Wii U). The former is more likely than the latter and it is possible that the Wii U Virtual Console skips the Pokémon titles entirely, or they released FRLG on the 3DS Virtual Console as a special thing.

As for intra-console trading, it would simply be locked out. With RGBYGSC, the data difference was too great to allow any backwards compatibility with RSE anyway. In-Gen trading could be made possible, as I mentioned earlier, by slightly tweaking the Gen I games to use the 3DS' local wireless and for Gen III, the Wii U's online capabilities. I'd hope that Nintendo and GameFreak avoid doing a Mario Kart Super Circuit where they ported it to the 3DS' Virtual Console (as part of the Ambassador Program), with no care for the multiplayer, therefore locking it down as a single player game.

You are quite right in that GameFreak prefer handhelds to consoles, but the reason why isn't because of communication reasons as a technical limitation. It's because of their philosophy of what the Pokémon series should be, that they want people to go out and meet each other physically in order to play games together - which ties with Nintendo's belief about the Wii and Wii U, that they want to bring people together again. With the introduction of Miiverse and the social interaction that has introduced to gaming, I feel that now a Pokémon game could survive on a home console.

Admittedly, I don't see much sense in Nintendo choosing to release GBA games on the Wii U Virtual Console opposed to the 3DS at all, but I'd rather they did release the Gen III games on the Wii U Virtual Console, as opposed to simply passing over them.

Blog Entries

The 3DS Virtual Console has Gameboy titles, not Gameboy Advance titles. The Wii U Virtual Console however, will have Gameboy Advance titles but does not have Gameboy titles. The 3DS may have received 10 GBA games as part of the Ambassador Program, but outside of said program, they aren't going to be released to the public. Personally, I think it would make more sense for the GBA games to be on the 3DS Virtual Console, but that's what Nintendo decided. Releasing RB for 3DS and FRLG for Wii U pretty much just guarantees them more money.
    Agreed on putting GBA titles on the Wii U but not the 3DS, but that's besides the point. It's pretty redundant to have both the remake and the original released at the same time.

As for intra-console trading, it would simply be locked out.
    Then this is the biggest barrier to making Pokemon games available on the eShop, it's not fair if you purchase several Pokemon games for your 3DS and then are unable to transfer Pokemon between them.

With RGBYGSC, the data difference was too great to allow any backwards compatibility with RSE anyway. In-Gen trading could be made possible, as I mentioned earlier, by slightly tweaking the Gen I games to use the 3DS' local wireless and for Gen III, the Wii U's online capabilities.
    I'm well aware of the differences in mechanics that prevented 2nd gen from being backwards compatible with 3rd. However, since people will most likely want to transfer their Pokemon to other games, it might be better if they retcon some of the mechanics to make backwards compatability more feasible. There'd certainly be no harm in going back and using the current gen IV system for those games since the player can't see IVs anyway, they won't even notice the difference.

I'd hope that Nintendo and GameFreak avoid doing a Mario Kart Super Circuit where they ported it to the 3DS' Virtual Console (as part of the Ambassador Program), with no care for the multiplayer, therefore locking it down as a single player game.
    They wouldn't be that stupid, that defeats the purpose of having them in the first place.

With the introduction of Miiverse and the social interaction that has introduced to gaming, I feel that now a Pokémon game could survive on a home console.
    That's a fair point about Miiverse, actually, I hadn't thought of that. So I guess it's possible, but it's probably better that new Pokemon games take advantage of Miiverse as opposed to older ones (6th gen Colosseum/XD, please).

Admittedly, I don't see much sense in Nintendo choosing to release GBA games on the Wii U Virtual Console opposed to the 3DS at all, but I'd rather they did release the Gen III games on the Wii U Virtual Console, as opposed to simply passing over them.
    Again, it's a matter of timing. I'd certainly love to see all of them on current gen consoles as well, but releasing RBY at the same time as FRLG is nonsensical, if they must have both, then release RBY first and then FRLG later.

Also, if we ever do get the original RBY ported, can we please get an international Green version analogous to Japanese Blue? That sounds like it'd be really fun.

Sorry, but I just think that its a terrible idea. Espcially on iOS systems. Considering that Apple products cost hundreds of dollars. It just wouldn't feel right.

As for trade ability with the games. The games were each made on a different platform and may be hard to convert to allow connect ability of any kind.

Blog Entries

Agreed on putting GBA titles on the Wii U but not the 3DS, but that's besides the point. It's pretty redundant to have both the remake and the original released at the same time.
    It wouldn't be redundant at all. If anything, it would generate lots of money for Nintendo as fans who own both systems will most likely buy both.

As for intra-console trading, it would simply be locked out.
    Then this is the biggest barrier to making Pokemon games available on the eShop, it's not fair if you purchase several Pokemon games for your 3DS and then are unable to transfer Pokemon between them.
    I'd also like to see what will happen with XY when they are released, as they will most likely be available for download from the eShop as well. Maybe they could release a Pokémon Transfer 3DS app with two modes - "Classic Mode" for Gen I-II and "Normal Mode" for Gen VI?

With RGBYGSC, the data difference was too great to allow any backwards compatibility with RSE anyway. In-Gen trading could be made possible, as I mentioned earlier, by slightly tweaking the Gen I games to use the 3DS' local wireless and for Gen III, the Wii U's online capabilities.
    I'm well aware of the differences in mechanics that prevented 2nd gen from being backwards compatible with 3rd. However, since people will most likely want to transfer their Pokemon to other games, it might be better if they retcon some of the mechanics to make backwards compatability more feasible. There'd certainly be no harm in going back and using the current gen IV system for those games since the player can't see IVs anyway, they won't even notice the difference.
    There's no way GameFreak would completely overhaul the systems again for the sake of old games. If they changed them to fit Gen III+ standards, they would have to rework the entire IV system and implement the personality value mechanics because back in the old days, things like shininess, gender and even Unown's form were decided by IVs. A lot of work for a mere virtual console port.
    Personally, I think it would be cool if it did happen, but I think it's unlikely.

I'd hope that Nintendo and GameFreak avoid doing a Mario Kart Super Circuit where they ported it to the 3DS' Virtual Console (as part of the Ambassador Program), with no care for the multiplayer, therefore locking it down as a single player game.
    They wouldn't be that stupid, that defeats the purpose of having them in the first place.
    And Mario Kart is best enjoyed as a multiplayer game, look where that went. One could argue that it was the main reason why a Pokémon wasn't included as one of the Ambassador titles though; in which case I hope they do start tweaking their games to do stuff like this as it's a likely possibility that that reasoning is why we'll never see a main series Pokémon VC title.

With the introduction of Miiverse and the social interaction that has introduced to gaming, I feel that now a Pokémon game could survive on a home console.
    That's a fair point about Miiverse, actually, I hadn't thought of that. So I guess it's possible, but it's probably better that new Pokemon games take advantage of Miiverse as opposed to older ones (6th gen Colosseum/XD, please).
    It wouldn't be a case of "If old games take advantage of it, new games won't" - there's Miiverse communities even for the old Balloon Trip, F-Zero and Punch Out! games. If Pokémon is rereleased on the Wii U eShop, there will be a community.

Again, it's a matter of timing. I'd certainly love to see all of them on current gen consoles as well, but releasing RBY at the same time as FRLG is nonsensical, if they must have both, then release RBY first and then FRLG later.
    It's not nonsensical. Not everyone who owns a 3DS has a Wii U and vice versa and fans who do will probably buy both, so it means more money.

Also, if we ever do get the original RBY ported, can we please get an international Green version analogous to Japanese Blue? That sounds like it'd be really fun.
    I'm not sure that would happen, as even our Red was heavily based on the Japanese Blue, more so than the Japanese Red actually.

Blog Entries

I'd also like to see what will happen with XY when they are released, as they will most likely be available for download from the eShop as well. Maybe they could release a Pokémon Transfer 3DS app with two modes - "Classic Mode" for Gen I-II and "Normal Mode" for Gen VI?
    What about 3rd gen? You'd need a third option for that, since it doesn't work the same way as classic trading (transfer one Pokemon from game A to game B, then transfer the other from game B to game A) or cross gen transfers (transfer 6 Pokemon from game A to game B). And of course, this app would need to be available for Wii U as well.

There's no way GameFreak would completely overhaul the systems again for the sake of old games. If they changed them to fit Gen III+ standards, they would have to rework the entire IV system and implement the personality value mechanics because back in the old days, things like shininess, gender and even Unown's form were decided by IVs. A lot of work for a mere virtual console port.
    Personally, I think it would be cool if it did happen, but I think it's unlikely.
    Well there were a ton of complaints about the lack of compatibility between 2nd and 3rd gen (as a matter of fact, some people still do. It even kind of rubbed me the wrong way initially), so I think that's something they want to avoid as much as possible. So more than likely, no compatability with current gen games = no Classic ports for you.

[QUOTE=Joshawott;4668363]And Mario Kart is best enjoyed as a multiplayer game, look where that went. One could argue that it was the main reason why a Pokémon wasn't included as one of the Ambassador titles though; in which case I hope they do start tweaking their games to do stuff like this as it's a likely possibility that that reasoning is why we'll never see a main series Pokémon VC title.[quote]

There's also the fact that multiplayer is (typically) not required for completing Mario Kart games, it's just a fun option to have. But with Pokemon, you need to trade with other games in order to complete the Pokedex. It may not be required to complete the main story, but it is required to 100% the game, and that's enough to make it

It's not nonsensical. Not everyone who owns a 3DS has a Wii U and vice versa and fans who do will probably buy both, so it means more money.
    Maybe, but I doubt it. And it's kind of pointless to have one on 3DS and one on the other. It makes more sense to have either every game on 3DS, every game on Wii U, or every game on both.

I'm not sure that would happen, as even our Red was heavily based on the Japanese Blue, more so than the Japanese Red actually.
    I was thinking more in terms of Pokemon distribution, actually. JP Blue has a unique set of Pokemon not seen in any international version, and that'd be somewhat interesting to see. But IDK, now that I think about it, that alone might not be worth it.

Blog Entries

What about 3rd gen? You'd need a third option for that, since it doesn't work the same way as classic trading (transfer one Pokemon from game A to game B, then transfer the other from game B to game A) or cross gen transfers (transfer 6 Pokemon from game A to game B). And of course, this app would need to be available for Wii U as well.
    If they release the 3rd Gen on the 3DS' virtual console, it could be possible that they will program it so a Gen IV game will read it as there being a cartridge in a GBA slot (even if obviously, the system doesn't have one). Not entirely sure if it would be possible, but it would be really convenient for GameFreak if it was. But then there'd be the issue of what would happen if you have multiple games on one system. Integrating Gen III into a hypothetical app might be the best bet.

Well there were a ton of complaints about the lack of compatibility between 2nd and 3rd gen (as a matter of fact, some people still do. It even kind of rubbed me the wrong way initially), so I think that's something they want to avoid as much as possible. So more than likely, no compatability with current gen games = no Classic ports for you.
    Or they could just put a note on the games saying that they are incompatible with newer titles. Most of the people who were pissy about it back then have got over it.

[quote][QUOTE=Joshawott;4668363]And Mario Kart is best enjoyed as a multiplayer game, look where that went. One could argue that it was the main reason why a Pokémon wasn't included as one of the Ambassador titles though; in which case I hope they do start tweaking their games to do stuff like this as it's a likely possibility that that reasoning is why we'll never see a main series Pokémon VC title.

There's also the fact that multiplayer is (typically) not required for completing Mario Kart games, it's just a fun option to have. But with Pokemon, you need to trade with other games in order to complete the Pokedex. It may not be required to complete the main story, but it is required to 100% the game, and that's enough to make it
    It's not really required in Pokémon either, unless you want to complete the Pokédex. Obviously, having a Pokémon game with trading and battling restricted due to a lazy port would absolutely suck as it would go against the main selling point of the games, but the lack of trading/battling wouldn't render a game unplayable.

Maybe, but I doubt it. And it's kind of pointless to have one on 3DS and one on the other. It makes more sense to have either every game on 3DS, every game on Wii U, or every game on both.
    It's simply limited to what old games are going to be available on each console's Virtual Console. Currently, we have:
    3DS: NES, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, SEGA GameGear. Gameboy Advance games were also made available for the Ambassador Program, but it was explicitly said that they wouldn't released to the public.
    Wii U: NES, SNES, Gameboy Advance. All games made available on the Wii Virtual Console are also available through the Wii Shop Channel in Wii Mode. The service has yet to officially launch but we know those consoles will have titles available.
    Seems like NES games are their only sharing point so far. Personally, I believe it makes more sense for Gameboy Advance games to be ported onto the 3DS as opposed to the Wii U anyway (imagine how pixelated GBA games are going to look on the average sized HDTV? >>).

I do hope Nintendo and GameFreak do figure out a way to get over the connectivity problem, as I'd hate to see Pokémon miss out on having its main series games on the Virtual Console (like Stadium and Stadium 2 did) because of it.

Blog Entries

Or they could just put a note on the games saying that they are incompatible with newer titles. Most of the people who were pissy about it back then have got over it.
    That wouldn't be enough, in fact all that would do is reopen old wounds. Releasing the old games on the eShop without finding some way to make them compatible with newer ones would just make people pissy all over again for being reminded that that happened in the first place.

It's not really required in Pokémon either, unless you want to complete the Pokédex. Obviously, having a Pokémon game with trading and battling restricted due to a lazy port would absolutely suck as it would go against the main selling point of the games, but the lack of trading/battling wouldn't render a game unplayable.
    Which is exactly why it's a problem, the trading and battling are too important to the gameplay to be left out. So is completing the Pokedex for that matter.

It's simply limited to what old games are going to be available on each console's Virtual Console. Currently, we have:
    3DS: NES, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, SEGA GameGear. Gameboy Advance games were also made available for the Ambassador Program, but it was explicitly said that they wouldn't released to the public.
    Wii U: NES, SNES, Gameboy Advance. All games made available on the Wii Virtual Console are also available through the Wii Shop Channel in Wii Mode. The service has yet to officially launch but we know those consoles will have titles available.
    Seems like NES games are their only sharing point so far. Personally, I believe it makes more sense for Gameboy Advance games to be ported onto the 3DS as opposed to the Wii U anyway (imagine how pixelated GBA games are going to look on the average sized HDTV? >>).

I do hope Nintendo and GameFreak do figure out a way to get over the connectivity problem, as I'd hate to see Pokémon miss out on having its main series games on the Virtual Console (like Stadium and Stadium 2 did) because of it.
    Which makes no logical sense whatsoever. I have no clue why Nintendo is being so thick headed about GBA games being on the 3DS either, but it needs to stop. Portable games are better suited for portable consoles, it's as simple as that. Hopefully considering the viability of having the king of all portable games on the eShop will help them see that.

Exxod, King of Armageddon ExxodKingOfDemise's Avatar

I think they should, that way Nintendo can make more money.(lol)
    People are going to do it anyway, and buying the game may be easier than just putting it in with an emulator, or whatnot.

Follow Spiffee On Twitter
    Follow Spiffee on Tumblr

Replacing the battery is not very hard at all so I really hope people aren't throwing their games away for that reason!! D:

But I do understand where you're coming from, and I think having the old Pokemon games in the eShop should probably happen sooner or later.

Oh yes. I thought of something. They might want to make another app to transfer them between them, like pal park or poke transfer. Just on one system. Also, if you got both say, red and blue on the 3ds, you should be able to somehow trade between those two, so you can CATCH EM ALL.
    Pokemon black 2 FC: 1077-8561-5185

Red
    Blog Entries
    Follow Red On Twitter Add Red on Facebook Add Red on Google+
    Visit Red's Youtube Channel

I am really flabbergasted than editions haven't yet appeared on the Nintendo eShop. I mean, the audience is there for these games. Just look at Final Fantasy 7 on the PSN, it sold like hotcakes, and it's completely outdated. My point is, making it work is all that matters. Graphics don't mean squat. BUT! Connectivity is critical, and I believe that may take some time. It's also why I believe we haven't seen them yet, I assume Nintendo wants these games to be compatible.
    Y: COMING SOON
    BLACK: 4213-4161-1545
    SOULSILVER: 3741-1763-4063

-You're really irritating.
    -Does irritating mean 'fun'?

Of course! I WOULD LOVE to replay these games again. I don't like piracy, so it would be amazing to play these.
    :DD
    Official PMD addict.
    :D

Blog Entries

Visit HM02's Youtube Channel

I think they should. It is able to be done on all Android devices and on jailbr***n iDevices. Anything is allowed in the Android Market, so they could definitely make money there. They would have to be approved by Apple to be in the App store, but I don't think that would be a problem.

If trading wirelessly was possible in these games, and it is possible, then it would be easy to "Catch 'em All!" We could have a modified GTS, for each platform, Apple and Android. The format for the controls would be either portrait or landscape, however the specific player wanted. The buttons would be transparent over the game itself in the landscape mode, for full screen. In the portrait layout, the buttons would be exactly the same as a GameBoy.

I know nothing about the Nintendo E-Shop except that it is possible. I know for a fact that it would be possible on phones because it has been done by pirates, just not Nintendo. They would make money on games that they no longer make any money on.

Sorry for the rant, I just want this to happen.

Pokemon X Friend Code : 0447 - 5738 - 4720

Follow Pikachu Bros. On Twitter
    Visit Pikachu Bros.'s Youtube Channel

oh no, not ios

i'm fine with them on the eshop, though
    Mega Gengar likes this.
    Pikachuhttp://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/0/0d/PinRS025.gifBros.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast