Should Generation 1, 2, and 3 games be released for iOS devices or Nintendo E-shop?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Should Generation 1, 2, and 3 games be released for iOS devices or Nintendo E-shop?

Default Should Generation 1, 2, and 3 games be released for iOS devices or Nintendo E-shop?

Hello everyone,
    The Pokemon Generation 1, 2, and 3 games should have a release on iOS devices as an app or the Nintendo 3DS E-shop. I have my hopes up that someday Gamefreak and the Pokemon Company would take putting old games onto the app store or Nintendo 3DS E-shop into consideration. There are three major reasons why I would love to see this happen:

1) A huge problem with videogames today is the issue of preservation; unlike books which can be read for thousands of years, video games are stuck to their original platform to deliver the medium. If one wants to experience the old pokemon games there is no other way to play them other than on older Gameboy systems , Pokemon Stadium, Pokemon Box (Gamecube), etc., as well as have a working pokemon cartridge. The internal batteries on these cartridges die out so less and less available copies of these older pokemon games exist each year, so many are forced to play these games on emulators since they have no other choice. The Pokemon company still claims that this is illegal, but many fans do it anyways because they do not have a reasonable way to play older games on new platforms.

2) It would make Pokemon A LOT of money!! Like everyone here, I want Pokemon to succeed as much as possible; they have brought about great games that many people enjoy today and I want the company to succeed well into the future. And People WILL buy old pokemon games on the app store or even the Nintendo 3DS E-shop. The older pokemon games alone would sell millions on these newer platforms, many fans would buy it!! And let's face it, currently the old generation games are currently making neither Gamefreak nor Nintendo any money. These older games can be bought at garage sales, Gamestop, ebay, or other retro-game stores, but neither Gamefreak nor Nintendo will see a cent of that money! So why not make money off of games that are currently making none?

3) The technology has already been proven possible. Both jail-broken iOS platforms and android platforms have a variety of emulators that allows one to play Gameboy and Gameboy Advance games. So I am sure an official app would not be that hard to make. If the Pokemon company released an official quality titles for new platforms they would also give us fans a reason to buy the games in a legal and convenient way.

Overall, I would love to see Pokemon take the steps to bring the franchise anywhere where more people can appreciate the growing franchise that all of us fans love so much, especially to a place where old pokemon games can be played on modern medium and purchased legally. An even better option would be to have it on the Nintendo 3DS E-shop. So hopefully someday, even a population out there that does not own a dedicated gaming device might be able to play and appreciate pokemon the same way we have for over 15 years.

So what are all your thoughts concerning this? Should Generation 1, 2, and 3 games be released for iOS devices or Nintendo E-shop?
    Last edited by boabiol; 23rd February 2013 at 11:05 PM.

Marukaite Chikyuu~ ShinySceptile1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Should Generation 1, 2, and 3 games be released for iOS devices or Nintendo E-sho

Oh yes so much. I would love that! Believe me, I'd throw bills at the computer for an opportunity like that. I don't like emulators that much, not since I accidentally destroyed my save file on Red Rescue Team, and a fail-proof version of those GB games would be brilliant on the eShop, in my opinion. I also agree with all your reasons. ^^
    boabiol and cassiem like this.
    Proud Claimer of Natalya Arlovskaya, Tino Väinämöinen, and Lukas Bondevik from Hetalia~! (= ヮ=)೨

Blog Entries

Default Re: Should Generation 1, 2, and 3 games be released for iOS devices or Nintendo E-sho

I don't know anything about the eShop, so I can't comment on that, but for phones? Definitely. As someone who wan't able to play most of the really early games, this is very welcome. I played the remakes, but I always wondered what it's like playing pokémon in colorless 8-bit (yes, I want them unaltered, except for the necessary tweaks to adapt them to iOS and Android). Plus, having the games on a phone means one less device to carry around. A phone is something you always have on your person, and by extension, the game is always accessible.

IMO, a good idea would be to bundle them with the remakes, so you have a side-by-side comparison. You have both your nostalgia-inducer and your awesomely modern remake.

[sources: sig gif|avatar]

Blog Entries

Maybe...

Blog Entries

Not yet. The games should be released on e-shop when the next generation games are out which would have an inbuild transfer system for them. Having them stand alone would be self defeating.
    Mega Gengar likes this.

Some Sort of Biscuit PokeBiscuit84's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit PokeBiscuit84's Youtube Channel

I'd love to see releases for the old games on the E-shop. I don't have a smartphone but I'm planning to get a 3DS, so it'd work well. If they were released easily and it was possible to trade with other people, it'd be great, because people could actually have a shot at catching all the Pokemon.
    I have returned!

Black friend code: 3740 0028 2021
    Black 2 friend code: 2967 8002 6163

iOS won't happen since iOS devices are competition for Nintendo, but there's absolutely no reason why they shouldn't be on the eShop. Nintendo have a somewhat illogical approach to their online services and their distribution of their old games which benefits neither them or the consumer, but thankfully this is an area they're improving in greatly.

Don't see any reason why not. People could only benefit.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. I'd love blue version on my 3DS. The nostalgia would be great.. My blue version's battery went kaboom. =/ Sad.
    <3 Pokémon.

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you’ll land among the stars.” – Brian Littrell

Blog Entries

Follow JLomb on Tumblr

OMG YES
    Boosh!

3DS FC: 3265-5253-3343

Minion of the Damned cityvillain's Avatar

Yes. All past Pokemons as a matter of fact should be available to the eShop. I have gba emu in my android phone that I play my Pokemon Emerald & Crystal with. But it's just never the same playing it with a Nintendo handheld console. It would be cool to see Pokemon Yellow or Heartgold or etc, in 3D.
    Kenta's Pokemon Party

Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pokemon games wouldn't really work on the eShop because it'd be harder to communicate between games. For instance, let's say you download a copy of Red and Blue onto the same 3DS. How would you trade between the two?

Furthermore, I think a lot of people would want to transfer their Pokemon to the current gen, and that wouldn't really work either because of differences in mechanics.

Silver Strategician LadyScathach's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree completely. Though honestly, I think they'll hold off on releasing these games on a new platform until they release the remakes of RSE. But yes, I would rebuy some of those GBA games. Take my money already.

YES! I would LOVE to have them on the e-shop. I hate knowing I have next to no chance of completing the Pokedex without having my mom get all of them on Internet, PLUS the system. Full support!
    Pokemon black 2 FC: 1077-8561-5185

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Nintendo eShop? Definitely. I wouldn't be surprised if in 2016, we see Red & Blue released on the 3DS Virtual Console and FireRed and LeafGreen on the Wii U one (as the Wii U will have GBA games). Just tweak them a bit to allow trading via the 3DS' and Wii U's wireless. 20th anniversary and all that.

iOS? No. Personally, I dislike iOS gaming as a whole, but Pokémon games wouldn't work on iOS, with having to drag the character along the screen and such.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast