GEN III: Should Game Freak have used Leaf's original design in FRLG?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Should Game Freak have used Leaf's original design in FRLG?

Blog Entries

Default Should Game Freak have used Leaf's original design in FRLG?

Not everyone knows, but Leaf/Blue had a different design in some Pokémon Red & Green artworks:

A picture of Leaf's Pokémon Special counterpart, that shows her unused design more accurately:

And for the sake of the comparison, here is a picture of Leaf's FRLG design:

So, what do you think? Which design do you prefer? Personally, I like the prototype design the most. Her black dress is very cute, as are her hair and boots. The actual Leaf's design isn't bad though, but I am not fond of its color scheme. Her socks are really weird also. Though the red and green color scheme do make sense and match the games she is the protagonist. Still, I really think they should have used the prototype design, for the mentioned reasons and for it being more unique compared to the other female protagonist's designs.

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

Default Re: Should Game Freak have used Leaf's original design in FRLG?

Red also received a redesign—one he desperately needed to help differentiate him from Ash Ketchum a little better. Leaf's redesign was likely done to more closely match Red, which I think was necessary under the circumstances. I say they made the right call.

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

You were in my way too. Cool and Spicy's Avatar

Wow, I didn't know this at all. Leaf's prototype design is better in my opinion, except for one little thing. A cute cocktail dress looking thing like that isn't the best attire to go on a journey with. I mean, at least she can move around in the skirt more. I'm assuming the dress would be more constricting in the movements. I think if they brought her back, in some sort of atmosphere that had contests or something similar, that would be a good look.

Also I like the socks. Isn't that a fashion thing in Japan? I can think of a few characters from anime that have socks like that.
    Reila likes this.

Blog Entries

I don't think that I would want to go on a journey across mountains, oceans, and deserts wearing a cocktail dress and high heels. I'm glad that Game Freak changed the design.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Akzivx V View Post
    I don't think that I would want to go on a journey across mountains, oceans, and deserts wearing a cocktail dress and high heels. I'm glad that Game Freak changed the design.
    Dawn's outfit isn't much different nor is Leaf's FRLG design (she uses a very short skirt, after all).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Reila View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzivx V View Post
    Dawn's outfit isn't much different nor is Leaf's FRLG design (she uses a very short skirt, after all).
    I never said that I thought that all the female protagonist's designs were practical. I mean, Dawn, really. Don't wear short skirts when you're in the coldest region. At least the B2W2 kids and the leaders had some sense to at least put on some more clothing, like Roxie's sweater or Burgh's spider silk shawl. Fashion kind of goes out the window when you're dead from frostbite and naked from hallucinations.
    Last edited by Akromatic; 22nd September 2013 at 05:31 PM.

No, I did enjoy the re-designs of all the characters. I just wish they had put Leaf in the early games, so we could choose her (and there wouldn't be any excuse to not put her in HG/SS).

I would like they hadn't got rid of Kris either (I indeed like Lyra more than Kris, the fact they aren't supposedly the same character is just what bothers me).
    Last edited by Swadloon; 24th September 2013 at 04:06 PM.
    Jenneta likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Swadloon View Post
    I would like they hadn't got rid of Kris either (I indeed like Lyra more than Kris, the fact they aren't supposedly the same character is just what bothers me).
    You know, I think they should have used Kris again in HGSS, with the usual outfit change (but not many changes! her original outfit looks pretty good, after all). In the end, there was no reason to change Kris to Lyra and I know that a lot of people didn't approve the change. And then, they could have used Lyra's design in BW, instead of Hilda's ugly obnoxious design :)

Blog Entries

I forgot about early Leaf, back in the old Pokemon Adventures manga (boy, could that be a dark manga), though it's probably because I remember her other name: Green (Blue in Japan). I haven't seen that form of her in a while.

I admit, Leaf's prototype design does look nicer, but I think GF made the right call redesigning her to what we know today. A cocktail dress isn't exactly practical, even if it fits her more mischievous and sneaky manga persona (poor Red, how many times did she sucker punch him in the manga?). So I think her FRLG design is better suited for not only travel, but given the fact she had to somewhat match Red's design (not exactly, obviously, but you get it), it made more sense to redesign her. Though I still think she's cuter in her prototype outfit...

So I think her FRLG outfit is fine. I mean, her game persona isn't the same as her manga counterpart, so it fits the bill better.

On a side note, I still think that Lyra should've never replaced Kris. I liked Kris better, and her design was quite sharp. She is much better than Lyra, so they should've just redesigned her as well, not outright replace her. But what's in the past is done, and there's nothing that can be done about it. Oh, well.
    Best Game Characters of all Time: Ryu 3, Nina 3, Ryu 2, Nina 2, Rei, Ratchet, Talwyn, Princess Pride, Megaman.EXE, Elecman.EXE, Bass. EXE, Tails, Geo, Sonia, Pit

Best Anime Characters of all Time: Van, Fiona, Irvine, Cynthia, Yugi, Tea, Joey, Dark Magician Girl, Kuriboh, Yuma, Astral, Number 39: Utopia, May, Inuyasha, Miroku, Sango

I apply Felix's Law: "Smile, tomorrow could be worse."

Follow Aulos on Tumblr

No, I did enjoy the re-designs of all the characters. I just wish they had put Leaf in the early games, so we could choose her (and there wouldn't be any excuse to not put her in HG/SS).

There still wasn't any excuse to not put her in HG/SS.

If they're going to use the excuse of "She wasn't in the original R/B/Y games", then I'm going to shoot back and question, if representing the "original" matters oh-so-much, why in the world was Kris allowed to be replaced by Lyra?

"Oh, but it's just the female protagonist, so it doesn't matter". Is that it? Because sometimes I think that's the way that Gamefreak and some of the fandom thinks, and it disgusts me.

Anyway, sorry for the off-topic. I think that the redesign of Leaf was good. She looks more like a trainer. Her redesign is actually one of my favorite trainer designs of the series.

The Deceiver Pokemon Team Gaara's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like Leaf's FRLG design a little better. It looks more kiddish (love the socks!), and, as mentioned, more practical. Her hair looks a little more normal, to me, too.

The original design was cool with the gloves and all, but, she looked more like a Lass than a PC, and she lacked the signature/necessary PC hat.

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FRLG's design is definitely my favourite. It matches far more the concept of an adventuring trainer and is more comparable to Red's (which, given they are essentially the same character, I'd think is important. Note I said comparable, not equal nor similar)

She really looks like someone who'd be travelling around the region for a while. That she's dressed so casually to me makes an statment that she's not to focus on what she's wearing, she's just wearing clothes.
    Most of the other female protagonists look too specific on their clothing instead, trying to look specifically cute or cool or whatever... Ironically, the cocktail dress is pretty much the complete opposite of this. She looks like a trainer class.

Maybe it's just me, but really, to me she simply looks like an strong trainer. Nothing else in particular. (Although her official art makes her look pretty badass, too.)
    Which I think is how it works best for a PC.

[/overexposition]

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Iirc, the design of Leaf's prototype was based on an unused Lass/Beauty trainer class.

I like her Gen3 design since it looks more a trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Aulos View Post

There still wasn't any excuse to not put her in HG/SS.

If they're going to use the excuse of "She wasn't in the original R/B/Y games", then I'm going to shoot back and question, if representing the "original" matters oh-so-much, why in the world was Kris allowed to be replaced by Lyra?

"Oh, but it's just the female protagonist, so it doesn't matter". Is that it? Because sometimes I think that's the way that Gamefreak and some of the fandom thinks, and it disgusts me.

Anyway, sorry for the off-topic. I think that the redesign of Leaf was good. She looks more like a trainer. Her redesign is actually one of my favorite trainer designs of the series.
    I agree with you. I've always said what you said. But that canon thing is still an excuse everyone uses, since there are other video games which have it. I don't think Game Freak thought in any excuse for that, fans just interpreted that way, and Game Freak was like "ok, whatever".

Fox Witch of Red Arylett Dawnsborough's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I knew of this before. But it's still pretty interesting. I definitely agree with some others in that she looks more like a trainer, and therefore, more appropriate. It is a shame that she's kinda ignored all over the place, considering she's my favorite female trainer design thus far. Still, I think Gamefreak made the correct decision in redesigning her and they shouldn't really have kept the original design. It's just a generic Lass anyways, nothing of note and doesn't seem like an appropriate counterpart to red.
    Aulos likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast