GEN III: Should Game Freak have used Leaf's original design in FRLG?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Should Game Freak have used Leaf's original design in FRLG?

  1. #1
    (-, - )…zzzZZZ Reila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,370
    Blog Entries
    59

    Default Should Game Freak have used Leaf's original design in FRLG?

    Not everyone knows, but Leaf/Blue had a different design in some Pokémon Red & Green artworks:



    A picture of Leaf's Pokémon Special counterpart, that shows her unused design more accurately:



    And for the sake of the comparison, here is a picture of Leaf's FRLG design:



    So, what do you think? Which design do you prefer? Personally, I like the prototype design the most. Her black dress is very cute, as are her hair and boots. The actual Leaf's design isn't bad though, but I am not fond of its color scheme. Her socks are really weird also. Though the red and green color scheme do make sense and match the games she is the protagonist. Still, I really think they should have used the prototype design, for the mentioned reasons and for it being more unique compared to the other female protagonist's designs.

  2. #2
    Good Bad Bug Glitchipedia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Knight Pokémon University
    Posts
    2,476
    Blog Entries
    30
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

    Default Re: Should Game Freak have used Leaf's original design in FRLG?

    Red also received a redesign—one he desperately needed to help differentiate him from Ash Ketchum a little better. Leaf's redesign was likely done to more closely match Red, which I think was necessary under the circumstances. I say they made the right call.

    YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

  3. #3
    You were in my way too. Cool and Spicy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    21

    Default Re: Should Game Freak have used Leaf's original design in FRLG?

    Wow, I didn't know this at all. Leaf's prototype design is better in my opinion, except for one little thing. A cute cocktail dress looking thing like that isn't the best attire to go on a journey with. I mean, at least she can move around in the skirt more. I'm assuming the dress would be more constricting in the movements. I think if they brought her back, in some sort of atmosphere that had contests or something similar, that would be a good look.

    Also I like the socks. Isn't that a fashion thing in Japan? I can think of a few characters from anime that have socks like that.
    Reila likes this.

  4. #4
    Akromatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,341
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Should Game Freak have used Leaf's original design in FRLG?

    I don't think that I would want to go on a journey across mountains, oceans, and deserts wearing a cocktail dress and high heels. I'm glad that Game Freak changed the design.

  5. #5
    (-, - )…zzzZZZ Reila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,370
    Blog Entries
    59

    Default Re: Should Game Freak have used Leaf's original design in FRLG?

    Quote Originally Posted by Akzivx V View Post
    I don't think that I would want to go on a journey across mountains, oceans, and deserts wearing a cocktail dress and high heels. I'm glad that Game Freak changed the design.
    Dawn's outfit isn't much different nor is Leaf's FRLG design (she uses a very short skirt, after all).

  6. #6
    Akromatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,341
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Should Game Freak have used Leaf's original design in FRLG?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reila View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzivx V View Post
    I don't think that I would want to go on a journey across mountains, oceans, and deserts wearing a cocktail dress and high heels. I'm glad that Game Freak changed the design.
    Dawn's outfit isn't much different nor is Leaf's FRLG design (she uses a very short skirt, after all).
    I never said that I thought that all the female protagonist's designs were practical. I mean, Dawn, really. Don't wear short skirts when you're in the coldest region. At least the B2W2 kids and the leaders had some sense to at least put on some more clothing, like Roxie's sweater or Burgh's spider silk shawl. Fashion kind of goes out the window when you're dead from frostbite and naked from hallucinations.
    Last edited by Akromatic; 22nd September 2013 at 05:31 PM.

  7. #7
    Registered User Swadloon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    111

    Default Re: Should Game Freak have used Leaf's original design in FRLG?

    No, I did enjoy the re-designs of all the characters. I just wish they had put Leaf in the early games, so we could choose her (and there wouldn't be any excuse to not put her in HG/SS).

    I would like they hadn't got rid of Kris either (I indeed like Lyra more than Kris, the fact they aren't supposedly the same character is just what bothers me).
    Last edited by Swadloon; 24th September 2013 at 04:06 PM.
    Jenneta likes this.

  8. #8
    (-, - )…zzzZZZ Reila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,370
    Blog Entries
    59

    Default Re: Should Game Freak have used Leaf's original design in FRLG?

    Quote Originally Posted by Swadloon View Post
    I would like they hadn't got rid of Kris either (I indeed like Lyra more than Kris, the fact they aren't supposedly the same character is just what bothers me).
    You know, I think they should have used Kris again in HGSS, with the usual outfit change (but not many changes! her original outfit looks pretty good, after all). In the end, there was no reason to change Kris to Lyra and I know that a lot of people didn't approve the change. And then, they could have used Lyra's design in BW, instead of Hilda's ugly obnoxious design :)

  9. #9
    Geek of the Games CynthiaLover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Dating Cynthia
    Posts
    978
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Should Game Freak have used Leaf's original design in FRLG?

    I forgot about early Leaf, back in the old Pokemon Adventures manga (boy, could that be a dark manga), though it's probably because I remember her other name: Green (Blue in Japan). I haven't seen that form of her in a while.

    I admit, Leaf's prototype design does look nicer, but I think GF made the right call redesigning her to what we know today. A cocktail dress isn't exactly practical, even if it fits her more mischievous and sneaky manga persona (poor Red, how many times did she sucker punch him in the manga?). So I think her FRLG design is better suited for not only travel, but given the fact she had to somewhat match Red's design (not exactly, obviously, but you get it), it made more sense to redesign her. Though I still think she's cuter in her prototype outfit...

    So I think her FRLG outfit is fine. I mean, her game persona isn't the same as her manga counterpart, so it fits the bill better.

    On a side note, I still think that Lyra should've never replaced Kris. I liked Kris better, and her design was quite sharp. She is much better than Lyra, so they should've just redesigned her as well, not outright replace her. But what's in the past is done, and there's nothing that can be done about it. Oh, well.
    Best Game Characters of all Time: Ryu 3, Nina 3, Ryu 2, Nina 2, Rei, Ratchet, Talwyn, Princess Pride, Megaman.EXE, Elecman.EXE, Bass. EXE, Tails, Geo, Sonia, Pit

    Best Anime Characters of all Time: Van, Fiona, Irvine, Cynthia, Yugi, Tea, Joey, Dark Magician Girl, Kuriboh, Yuma, Astral, Number 39: Utopia, May, Inuyasha, Miroku, Sango

    I apply Felix's Law: "Smile, tomorrow could be worse."


  10. #10
    Winds ღ Aulos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    184

    Follow Aulos on Tumblr

    Default Re: Should Game Freak have used Leaf's original design in FRLG?

    Quote Originally Posted by Swadloon View Post
    No, I did enjoy the re-designs of all the characters. I just wish they had put Leaf in the early games, so we could choose her (and there wouldn't be any excuse to not put her in HG/SS).

    I would like they hadn't got rid of Kris either (I indeed like Lyra more than Kris, the fact they aren't supposedly the same character is just what bothers me).
    There still wasn't any excuse to not put her in HG/SS.

    If they're going to use the excuse of "She wasn't in the original R/B/Y games", then I'm going to shoot back and question, if representing the "original" matters oh-so-much, why in the world was Kris allowed to be replaced by Lyra?

    "Oh, but it's just the female protagonist, so it doesn't matter". Is that it? Because sometimes I think that's the way that Gamefreak and some of the fandom thinks, and it disgusts me.

    Anyway, sorry for the off-topic. I think that the redesign of Leaf was good. She looks more like a trainer. Her redesign is actually one of my favorite trainer designs of the series.

  11. #11
    The Deceiver Pokemon Team Gaara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    The Sand Village
    Posts
    1,537
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Should Game Freak have used Leaf's original design in FRLG?

    I like Leaf's FRLG design a little better. It looks more kiddish (love the socks!), and, as mentioned, more practical. Her hair looks a little more normal, to me, too.

    The original design was cool with the gloves and all, but, she looked more like a Lass than a PC, and she lacked the signature/necessary PC hat.

  12. #12
    From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    In the wind
    Posts
    1,383
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Should Game Freak have used Leaf's original design in FRLG?

    FRLG's design is definitely my favourite. It matches far more the concept of an adventuring trainer and is more comparable to Red's (which, given they are essentially the same character, I'd think is important. Note I said comparable, not equal nor similar)

    She really looks like someone who'd be travelling around the region for a while. That she's dressed so casually to me makes an statment that she's not to focus on what she's wearing, she's just wearing clothes.
    Most of the other female protagonists look too specific on their clothing instead, trying to look specifically cute or cool or whatever... Ironically, the cocktail dress is pretty much the complete opposite of this. She looks like a trainer class.


    Maybe it's just me, but really, to me she simply looks like an strong trainer. Nothing else in particular. (Although her official art makes her look pretty badass, too.)
    Which I think is how it works best for a PC.

    [/overexposition]

  13. #13
    Face of mercy? NOPE Yato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Anywhere
    Posts
    6,664
    Blog Entries
    435

    Follow Yato on Tumblr

    Default Re: Should Game Freak have used Leaf's original design in FRLG?

    Iirc, the design of Leaf's prototype was based on an unused Lass/Beauty trainer class.

    I like her Gen3 design since it looks more a trainer

  14. #14
    Registered User Swadloon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    111

    Default Re: Should Game Freak have used Leaf's original design in FRLG?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aulos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Swadloon View Post
    No, I did enjoy the re-designs of all the characters. I just wish they had put Leaf in the early games, so we could choose her (and there wouldn't be any excuse to not put her in HG/SS).

    I would like they hadn't got rid of Kris either (I indeed like Lyra more than Kris, the fact they aren't supposedly the same character is just what bothers me).
    There still wasn't any excuse to not put her in HG/SS.

    If they're going to use the excuse of "She wasn't in the original R/B/Y games", then I'm going to shoot back and question, if representing the "original" matters oh-so-much, why in the world was Kris allowed to be replaced by Lyra?

    "Oh, but it's just the female protagonist, so it doesn't matter". Is that it? Because sometimes I think that's the way that Gamefreak and some of the fandom thinks, and it disgusts me.

    Anyway, sorry for the off-topic. I think that the redesign of Leaf was good. She looks more like a trainer. Her redesign is actually one of my favorite trainer designs of the series.
    I agree with you. I've always said what you said. But that canon thing is still an excuse everyone uses, since there are other video games which have it. I don't think Game Freak thought in any excuse for that, fans just interpreted that way, and Game Freak was like "ok, whatever".

  15. #15
    Fox Witch of Red Arylett Dawnsborough's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Arylettopia
    Posts
    135
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Should Game Freak have used Leaf's original design in FRLG?

    Yeah, I knew of this before. But it's still pretty interesting. I definitely agree with some others in that she looks more like a trainer, and therefore, more appropriate. It is a shame that she's kinda ignored all over the place, considering she's my favorite female trainer design thus far. Still, I think Gamefreak made the correct decision in redesigning her and they shouldn't really have kept the original design. It's just a generic Lass anyways, nothing of note and doesn't seem like an appropriate counterpart to red.
    Aulos likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •