Scary Rockets?

Thread: Scary Rockets?

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Scary Rockets?

I don't know about you guys but in RBY I found Team Rocket TERRIFYING. Maybe it was because I was 8 but even looking back over the sprites from each generation I can't help but feel with every passing generation Team Rocket (along with every other villainous team) have slowly gone from scary to funny.

What do you think?

Oh and I'm talking about the Grunts here rather than the bosses.

Yes, I am THAT gli. :P Gligar13's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Scary Rockets?

In RB, the sprites for them make them look like creepers.
    dA::YT::furaffinity::Yes, I DID claim Gligar.

It was probably the whips. Cueballs were scary too!

They tried to make them funny with the grunts such as the one guarding the switch at Game Corner but some of them were scarier like the ones killing Cubone's mother.Also the guy on Nugget Bridge is creepy with his persuations.

I don't think I was ever scared of them trying to think back on them I can't remember my opriginal thoughts of them. I kind of wish they would be scarier or more serious because a lot of times they do seem silly

Blog Entries

I was never afraid of Team Rocket but I was 13 when I played my first game(Yellow). Not that my age matters, I was never one to scare by fiction. When I was 7/8 years old, Jurassic Park was one of my favorite movies.
    Last edited by Moon Shadow; 1st June 2011 at 04:30 PM.

Blog Entries

Follow hurristat on Tumblr

Some of the RB rockets were kind of scary or creepy, but I was never scared by them. I think on some level, my 10-year-old self recognized that it's just a game.

I also found Team Rocket to be scary back in Red/Blue. The fact that they killed Pokemon just made me even more afraid of them. I think they're ok now, but they seemed a lot more serious back in the day.

Panne Cottontail Kakuna Matata's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Kakuna Matata on Tumblr

My first game was Silver. I can't recall my exact thoughts of them, but I don't believe said thoughts were that the Rockets were creepy. I do remember thinking the female Rockets looked like Cassidy.

I started in GSC, so perhaps my impression was slightly different. After seeing them on the show, I thought that the initial outbreak in Slowpoke Well was an isolated incident, and that it was just a throwback to the previous games. I didn't pay it any more mind for most of the game, except for finding the Rocket sitting outside the Radio Tower as odd. When I got to the Lake of Rage and saw one of their large-scale operations, it was a bit eye-opening to realize that in the games, they were a very real and organized threat. Their takeover of Goldenrod made this even more obvious - however, as I played through the games again, they became less and less of a perceived issue.

So, scary in a mafia-type way, or possibly in the way of a creepy underground lab, but not creepy in the way that most of you are thinking of.

Blog Entries

I remember them being pretty scary too, but not so scary that they gave me nightmares. From what I do remember from playing Yellow as a kid, the boss creeped me out more than the grunts. I found the grunts actions more sad then scary, especially with the killing of a Pokemon.
    Vaporeon, Flareon, Jolteon, Espeon, Umbreon, Leafeon, Glaceon.
    Can only evolve into one...

Blog Entries

Maybe it has something to do with being eight at the time ?_?

But I will admit the characterization of the grunts have gone towards a more "silly" direction, which was at least justified with Team Galactic.

The ghosts in Lavander town, and that creepy kid going "then what's that white hand on your shoulder" are creepy, and I still think they are. When I think about it, the existence of ghosts have gotten less scary in future generations even though they actually gave them sprites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Igzz View Post
    They tried to make them funny with the grunts such as the one guarding the switch at Game Corner but some of them were scarier like the ones killing Cubone's mother.Also the guy on Nugget Bridge is creepy with his persuations.
    The entire Nugget Bridge was just full of creepiness. "I did my best, I have no regrets"

I never thought of Team Rocket as scary. However, they are the in-game villains I like the most. While every other "evil teams" since (Aqua, Magma, Galactic, Plasma) has a goal that they think is the best for humanity and/or Pokémon, Team Rocket's plans was for nothing but evil and selfishness. I cannot hate the other teams at 100%, because even though their plans are wicked and uses methods that I despice, they do it for something they believe is good.
    Team Rocket knows that their actions are all bad, and don't care. They don't care at all what to become of humans and Pokémon, as long as they can earn some profit from it.
    I don't think, or hope, that Team Rocket will return as the main villains in future Pokémon games, but I do hope for another team that is just as cruel and nasty as the Rockets so that I can beat them up good without that feeling of bad conscience deep, deep inside.

I never thought of Team Rocket as scary. However, they are the in-game villains I like the most. While every other "evil teams" since (Aqua, Magma, Galactic, Plasma) has a goal that they think is the best for humanity and/or Pokémon, Team Rocket's plans was for nothing but evil and selfishness. I cannot hate the other teams at 100%, because even though their plans are wicked and uses methods that I despice, they do it for something they believe is good.
    Team Rocket knows that their actions are all bad, and don't care. They don't care at all what to become of humans and Pokémon, as long as they can earn some profit from it.
    I don't think, or hope, that Team Rocket will return as the main villains in future Pokémon games, but I do hope for another team that is just as cruel and nasty as the Rockets so that I can beat them up good without that feeling of bad conscience deep, deep inside.