Which region, if any, would you want to see a sequel to? - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Which region, if any, would you want to see a sequel to?

Follow Season On Twitter Add Season on Facebook

Default Re: Which region, if any, would you want to see a sequel to?

Sinnoh.

Although my favorite is Hoenn I'd like a remake for that rather than a sequel but with Sinnoh, there is more they can expand on with Team Galactic. They could introduce new characters, areas and expand the storyline as they did in B2W2 which could become very creative with Sinnoh.
    Jenneta likes this.

Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ideally, I'd like to see every region get some kind of BW2 sequel, I think the idea has tons of potential (even if BW2 didn't fully utilize that potential), and it'd be a great way for us to continually revisit regions while still keeping the games fresh (because seriously, who wants to see a remake of a remake?). Here's some of the ones I'd like to see the most, though:

-RB2 and GS2. Yeah, I know these games have been remade already (and Kanto has been seen in every gen until 5th), but they can do better than a straight remake for these regions. I'd like to see changes in region design, Pokedex, and storyline that are present in more modern games. So here's what I think they should do for that:

-Split the two regions up. Having them both in one game kind of detracts from their design, and causes problems in pacing and Pokemon distribution. So it'd be better to focus on these regions with an individual game. Move Johto's Pokemon League elsewhere so they don't have to share the one in Indigo Plateau. Cut off access to Rt. 26 and 28 (Kanto) or Rt. 22 and Rt. 23 (Johto)
    -Bring the region design up to modern standards. Increase each region to about Hoenn or Sinnoh size at least. Spread out the gyms so they're not all back to back. Include some more diverse environments, we don't really see very many mountainous areas, volcanic areas, snowy areas, etc., most of the routes in Kanto and Johto are fairly generic.
    -Improve/balance out the Pokedex. By modern standards, the Kanto and Johto dexes are absolutely pitiful, there's too few Ghost, Dragon, Dark, and Steel types. So add in plenty of options for those types. Also, add in any new evolutions that may have been introduced in later gens, as well as some random ones to keep things fresh. In Johto's case, they should actually consider removing some 1st gen Pokemon that don't really fit that well (since many of them were just there for the sake of including all 1st and 2nd gen Pokemon in the Johto Dex) to make room for 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th gen Pokemon (since anything above 300 is too large for a regional dex IMO).
    -Change the storyline path a bit more drastically to make it feel fresh. This was one area where BW2 could've used some improvement, it was nice that they changed the storyline path, but it didn't change all that much since you still followed that stretch from Castelia to Mistralton midway through the game. Let's see something more interesting. For instance, Johto could start out in a new citysection west of Olivine (accessible by a cave that also allows you to walk to Cianwood until you get Surf), and then travel east toward Ecruteak, down and around South Johto, and then finish off in an expanded northern area of Johto. Something like that, in which the new storyline path follows as little of the original as possible.
    -Bigger emphasis on storyline. Let's face it, the storyline wasn't really that great in the originals, it was basically Team Rocket doing bad stuff for the sake of doing bad stuff. I'd like to see them as more of a threat in this game, not just pulling off a string of (relatively) petty crimes compared to other teams' plans. They don't have to set out to destroy the world or anything, but do something more clever than what we've seen of them.

-RS2: If I'm jumping on the 3rd gen remakes bandwagon, this is how I'd do it, instead of some boring retread through the same game I played 10 years ago, let's see them reference the old game in a new way. You'd accomplish all of the same things as a straight remake, but with many similar changes that I listed above which keeps the game from becoming stale for older players.

-BW3: This needs to happen sometime if Unova wants any shot at redemption. BW2 was a novel concept, but poorly implemented due to bad Pokemon distribution, and just all around thoughtlessness as far as the implications of changing the storyline path (and if you don't understand what I mean by that, then ask yourself why in Arceus' name the Day Care is post game in BW2). So Unova needs another sequel, and it needs to be done right. Here's what they need to do:

-Significant changes in the regional design and storyline path. Unova's design in BW1 was horribly linear, and guess what? That's still true in BW2. They need to add more branching paths through the game, and design the storyline path a bit more cleverly to give the game a good amount of exploration. And don't have us go basically down the same path we did in BW1 and BW2, that's boring. Differing storyline paths are a lot more meaningful if you visit old areas at completely different times (like East Unova being after the 6th gym, or Southeast Unova being post game). What if you visited Southwest Unova late in the game, for instance, and fought Cheren and Roxie much later? What if Skyla was your first gym leader? Stuff like that.
    -Make sure crucial gameplay mechanics are available at reasonable spots in the game. I'm mainly referring to the Day Care here. There is absolutely no reason to keep such an important feature to the gameplay in a post game area, by all means this should've been moved to an earlier game area (Flocessy Ranch, for instance, would've been a good spot).
    -Change the Pokemon distribution to provide a sense of balance throughout the game. This was another thing that really bugged me in BW2. Okay great, there's 150 new Pokemon in the Unova Dex. Too bad most of them aren't even available until after the 6th gym. This was definitely something that they should've put more thought into, because it caused plenty of problems in terms of the number of viable options available earlier in the game, and several of them didn't even have a reason to be that late in the game (I'm looking at you Gligar and Pelipper). And the fact that about 20 of them were post game is insulting, it completely defeats the purpose of them being in the Unova Dex in the first place.
    Last edited by Bolt the Cat; 16th June 2013 at 01:55 PM.

Red
    Blog Entries
    Follow Red On Twitter Add Red on Facebook Add Red on Google+
    Visit Red's Youtube Channel

I want a sequel to Sinnoh, if anything to clear up the mythology and give us some direct answers to the origins and history of the Pokemon world. I loved the folk stories and all the other implications, but I like to receive some cold, hard facts. As a massive fan of mythology I believe pokemon is a great source to elaborate and create something really fascinating, and I believe that story just belongs in Sinnoh.
    Jenneta likes this.
    Y: COMING SOON
    BLACK: 4213-4161-1545
    SOULSILVER: 3741-1763-4063

-You're really irritating.
    -Does irritating mean 'fun'?

Living the Pokemon life. Jenneta's Avatar

I would just love a sequel to Sinnoh and Hoenn. Sinnoh is my favorite region, and I would love to see a plot involving Team Galatic and Arceus and updated battle sprites and such, and it would be nice if they could make it to where we could walk with our Pokemon. :3
    And for Hoenn a new team and plot. ;D Maybe some more areas to explore, too.
    But yeah. Sinnoh and Hoenn would be awesome for remakes. x3.
    3DS Friend Code is: 5215-0992-6785 Friend Safari is Combee, Beautifly, and Venomoth.
    Used to be Dark Type Princess~, now Jenneta and going to keep it that way. :)

Blog Entries

Visit HM02's Youtube Channel

A sequel to Hoenn would be great. I just want to be able to go back to that region. Also, what happened to Team Magma/Aqua? If the player caught Groudon, Kyogre, or Rayquaza, they could potentially create land, or destroy it...

Pokemon X Friend Code : 0447 - 5738 - 4720

I would like to see a remake of R/S/E since they're my favourite. :D

Blog Entries
    Follow Chime Nume On Twitter Add Chime Nume on Facebook Add Chime Nume on Google+
    Follow Chime Nume on Tumblr Visit Chime Nume's Youtube Channel

A sequel for Hoenn because... 1.) Kanto has had a sequel if you count G/S/C. 2.) Jotho is not suitible for a sequel. The region is too small. 3.) Sinnoh isn't good enough for a sequel. 4.) Unova already had a sequel. So, Hoenn would be perfect. Everyone likes Hoenn and it would be pretty cool for it to have a sequel as well as a remake.

Ever Grande City. The most amazing forum on the internet! Come on down and join EGC today!
    Banner made by me.

Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Krina View Post
    Jotho is not suitible for a sequel. The region is too small.
    That's not a legitimate reason for Johto to be out of the running. Sequels can make changes to regional design, so it's very much possible that they could give Johto a massive expansion to make it Hoenn/Sinnoh size. In fact, that's the reason I'd say Johto is one of the games most in need of a sequel (tied with Kanto for the same reason).

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Definitely Hoenn because Hoenn really needs more attention

Hoenn. I'm really hoping Hoenn gets a better plotline... Magma/Aqua were the villains that made the least sense, IMO.

Pokémon Truth Tea Pourer BlackButterfree's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow BlackButterfree On Twitter Add BlackButterfree on Facebook Add BlackButterfree on MySpace
    Follow BlackButterfree on Tumblr Visit BlackButterfree's Youtube Channel

Red, Green, Blue and Yellow got sequels in Gold, Silver and Crystal.
    Black and White got sequels in Black2 and White2.
    The only games to not have sequels are Ruby Sapphire and Emerald, and Diamond Pearl and Platinum.
    Since Gen. II were sequels of Gen. I, and Gen. III took place at the same time as Gen. I, with Gen. IV happening alongside Gen. II, I'd actually love remakes of Emerald and Platinum put together as paired versions, with the Platinum remake featuring a travel to Hoenn, where you defeat Magma and Aqua's revived forces, making it a sequel to the Emerald remake. And in the Emerald remake, you can visit Unova (before Gen. V's events). Sounds overly complicated but it'd be so epic, and it would tie in all the regions together.
    Quote Originally Posted by flamewarflipsides View Post
    The thing about the notion of sequels is that to a certain degree, the nature of a sequel, and how good it would be, would depend on the game it's coming from. That is, GSC as a response to RBY is way different from BW2 as a response to BW1. A sequel to any region would be very different depending on the events of the previous games in that region.

GSC was very much about expanding the universe of Pokemon rather than expanding the story. The characters who have story arcs in it either have very general (and I would argue unsatisfying) arcs, or are fairly far removed from the player emotionally. For example, Red is little more than an easter egg. Blue went from nearly being champion to being gym leader, with little fuss about how that effected him. Only Professor Oak and Giovanni get anything approaching character arcs, and the latter only in the remakes as a few throw away lines.

No, the focus of GSC as an expansion was expanding mechanics and the way the world worked: GSC introduced items and breeding, and HGSS introduced the walking thing (which has been backtracked upon, natch).

The Unova arc is much different. Unova has been character- and story-driven from the start. We are in some ways secondary in the early game to watching Cheren struggle to exceed others' standards, Bianca struggle to meet others' standards at all, and N wrangle with opposing sets of standards. In some ways Unova is the first story in the series, as well, where these pre-programmed NPCs really attempt to engage with our feelings and opinions. Consider the constant questions about whether you have a dream, and whether you're satisfied with your choices.

Naturally BW2 followed from this, with complex and fairly satisfying character arcs for four of the major players from the previous generation: Bianca, Cheren, N, and Alder.

If we go back and get sequels for Johto, Hoenn, or Sinnoh, we can't expect them to feel like GSC/HGSS or BW2. Why? Because they're responding to different things.

To be completely honest, I only really want a Unova sequel. That is, I only want a sequel to the story of N. I would like to see a game about where N went after BW1. I would even try it if the mechanics differed substantially from the mainline games because I care that much about N. Another game set in or around Unova, that dealt with ideas from Unova, would be satisfactory. I want to keep talking about the ethics of Pokemon training. I want to keep looking at what you have to do to change yourself, or the world. I like the deep, psychological, even cerebral place that set of games went.

If I were to see sequels to DPPt, I would expect them to be very centered on power and the metagame, and I would expect them to deal extensively with themes of the pursuit of power, of societal use and distribution of power, and how people get their way. I want to see what happens to the remains of Team Galactic with a power vaccuum, without their culty leader.

If I were to see sequels to RSE, well, that's harder. RSE has a better plot than RBY/GSC in terms of development, but it wasn't very character driven. Wally's evolution was treated more like a subplot than anything. The theme of RSE seemed to be balance and the relationship between man and his environment, so I would expect a sequel plot to deal with that same idea. Still, the whole "we're going to pursue extremism until it endangers even everything we care about, then act shocked at our own stupidity" plotline has already been done and resolved. There's no room to really develop Hoenn any more along that line without drawing in elements from another region of the game.

Ergo, I would expect a RSE sequel to center on remnants of Team Plasma or Team Galactic operating in Hoenn, and I would expect Latios and Latias to be the central Pokemon. Those two groups made their bread and butter on extremism, and they're the only good fit for it. Magma or Aqua trying again would be trite, especially after both Team Rocket and Team Plasma have had a second go at it. Magma or Aqua or both assisting the PC in stopping either Plasma or Galactic would work.

Along that line, I think Plasma would work better for that story than Galactic, since the rank and file members of Plasma are portrayed as much more human, since the nature of the team after their first defeat has been set up, and the natural schism in the group welcomes discussion about extremism.

So, with all that laid out, here is what I would like to see in the next Pokemon sequel:

Region: Hoenn
    Villainous Team: Plasma splinter group still advocating the extreme separation of humans and Pokemon, possibly formed by, lead by, or backed by one of the Pokemon N was given as a child
    Villainous Team Leader: One of the seven sages who is not Ghestis, Zinzolin, or Rood
    Pokemon Professor: Birch or his child
    Champion: May or Brendan
    Prominent Trainers: Steven, Wally, Birch's Child, N, Hilda/Hilbert (as informed by memory link; Hilbert by default), Rosa/Nate (as informed by memory link, Rosa by default, or Nate by default if BW1 with female PC is linked but no BW2 is linked), possibly Cynthia, Barry, Dawn, Lucas, Red, Ethan, Lyra
    How the main character gets drawn into the villain plot: Starter is stolen
    Primary goal of the villainous team: Hack the graphical pokemon storage system and use it to release all captured Pokemon in the wrong regoin
    Supplementary region: Sinnoh, where you must go to rescue your starter after defeating the team.

Plot: A splinter faction of Team Plasma advocating the forceful separation of humans and Pokemon begin abducting Pokemon in Hoenn, which has gotten less attention from powerful trainers in recent years. The Plasma faction is taking the Pokemon it's stealing, sending them to other regions, and setting them free, forcing the Pokemon to separate from their trainers. The PC would receive his or her pokemon before they started making major moves in the region, but quickly have their "starter" stolen. The whole game would be a quest to get it back before it makes its way to the port in Slateport, where it would be sent to another region. Or, possibly, you don't make it in time and have to go to that other region, likely Sinnoh, to get it back. Team Plasma's ultimate plan would be to obtain the source code for the graphical box system created by Lanette and hack into it, allowing them to steal all the Pokemon of all trainers in every region and set them all free in the wrong region.

At some point, they would actually manage to break into the system, and so your team would be locked to whatever you had out for the final portion of the fight against them. However, you would stop them before your Pokemon are sent to another region, or after only a small number of them are.

TLDR: A good sequel to a Pokemon game takes the really important aspect of the previous game and expands on it. Since Dppt was driven by Team Galactic, a good sequel would have to keep using Team Galactic. Since RSE was driven by the idea of extremism being bad, and since Team Magma/Aqua not learning their lesson would be stupid, an RSE sequel would have to have a villainous team from another region taking whatever they did before to preposterous extremes. Galactic wasn't really clear on its goals, so you'd have to use Team Plasma. Ergo, I hope to see a Hoenn-centered game where an extremist faction of Team Plasma has come and plans to hack into the graphical PC system created by Lanette to set Pokemon free in regions they're not from in order to prevent them from reuniting with their trainers, forcing separation between humans and Pokemon.

TLDR of TLDR: Extremist Team Plasma wanting to force all humans and Pokemon apart legit (and not just to create a power vaccuum) go to Hoenn and try to hack Lanette's stuff to mess up PCs EVERYWHERE.
    I really love that idea, but I don't really like the idea of having your starter stolen. That's always my strongest Pokémon and my most devoted partner. I wouldn't mind if they it was more like B2W2 and the stolen Pokémon belonged to someone you know. Maybe the mom's? Let's face it, we need a Pokémom who can battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanesque-Marionette View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pidgeot View Post
    Unova. But I mean a region directly south of Unova,
    Delaware?

Eh, chalk me up for another Hoenn sequel wanter. Besides my love of the region itself, it'd also be easy to see Magma or Aqua continuing even if Maxie or Archie have reformed, as other people could still think it was only the former leaders' overestimation of themselves that led to their downfall, not because their inherent goals were wrong. Contrast to Galactic, which Platinum made clear is pretty much over and done with as a villain organisation (would be nice to see what their surviving Admins are up to though).

On the subject of Sinnoh however, looking at the strong mythic background they were trying to give it, I'd probably be more interested in a prequel for the region.
    A prequel would be amazing. Not only would a Sinnoh PREQUEL be the first of its kind in the Pokémon series, but Sinnoh is my favorite region.
    Last edited by Shiny Celebi; 1st June 2013 at 11:36 AM.

Blog Entries

Oh, here it is.
    Hoenn, definitely. It is the best region.

NOT Sinnoh. Sinnoh sickens me.

Pokémon Truth Tea Pourer BlackButterfree's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow BlackButterfree On Twitter Add BlackButterfree on Facebook Add BlackButterfree on MySpace
    Follow BlackButterfree on Tumblr Visit BlackButterfree's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhem Uaid View Post
    Oh, here it is.
    Hoenn, definitely. It is the best region.

NOT Sinnoh. Sinnoh sickens me.
    What's so wrong with Sinnoh?

Blog Entries

The layout is pig-stoopid, and the cities suck. When I look at Veilstone City I feel sick to my stomach.
    Extended Sig | URPG Character

BLUE: The color of sarcasm!
    Brought to you by Frummagem, Inc.

I just don't "feel it" for Sinnoh either, probably my least favorite.
    Ruby/Sapphire have a lot of potential for a sequel, and one for those would please me VERY much.

Quote Originally Posted by Quirky Circuit View Post
    I want a sequel to Sinnoh, if anything to clear up the mythology and give us some direct answers to the origins and history of the Pokemon world. I loved the folk stories and all the other implications, but I like to receive some cold, hard facts. As a massive fan of mythology I believe pokemon is a great source to elaborate and create something really fascinating, and I believe that story just belongs in Sinnoh.
    Something "for certain" would probably be considered religiously offensive in the real world, so that wouldn't really be feasible.
    Last edited by Shiny Celebi; 1st June 2013 at 08:42 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast