Which region, if any, would you want to see a sequel to? - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Which region, if any, would you want to see a sequel to?

Follow flamewarflipsides On Twitter Add flamewarflipsides on Facebook

Default Re: Which region, if any, would you want to see a sequel to?

The thing about the notion of sequels is that to a certain degree, the nature of a sequel, and how good it would be, would depend on the game it's coming from. That is, GSC as a response to RBY is way different from BW2 as a response to BW1. A sequel to any region would be very different depending on the events of the previous games in that region.

GSC was very much about expanding the universe of Pokemon rather than expanding the story. The characters who have story arcs in it either have very general (and I would argue unsatisfying) arcs, or are fairly far removed from the player emotionally. For example, Red is little more than an easter egg. Blue went from nearly being champion to being gym leader, with little fuss about how that effected him. Only Professor Oak and Giovanni get anything approaching character arcs, and the latter only in the remakes as a few throw away lines.

No, the focus of GSC as an expansion was expanding mechanics and the way the world worked: GSC introduced items and breeding, and HGSS introduced the walking thing (which has been backtracked upon, natch).

The Unova arc is much different. Unova has been character- and story-driven from the start. We are in some ways secondary in the early game to watching Cheren struggle to exceed others' standards, Bianca struggle to meet others' standards at all, and N wrangle with opposing sets of standards. In some ways Unova is the first story in the series, as well, where these pre-programmed NPCs really attempt to engage with our feelings and opinions. Consider the constant questions about whether you have a dream, and whether you're satisfied with your choices.

Naturally BW2 followed from this, with complex and fairly satisfying character arcs for four of the major players from the previous generation: Bianca, Cheren, N, and Alder.

If we go back and get sequels for Johto, Hoenn, or Sinnoh, we can't expect them to feel like GSC/HGSS or BW2. Why? Because they're responding to different things.

To be completely honest, I only really want a Unova sequel. That is, I only want a sequel to the story of N. I would like to see a game about where N went after BW1. I would even try it if the mechanics differed substantially from the mainline games because I care that much about N. Another game set in or around Unova, that dealt with ideas from Unova, would be satisfactory. I want to keep talking about the ethics of Pokemon training. I want to keep looking at what you have to do to change yourself, or the world. I like the deep, psychological, even cerebral place that set of games went.

If I were to see sequels to DPPt, I would expect them to be very centered on power and the metagame, and I would expect them to deal extensively with themes of the pursuit of power, of societal use and distribution of power, and how people get their way. I want to see what happens to the remains of Team Galactic with a power vaccuum, without their culty leader.

If I were to see sequels to RSE, well, that's harder. RSE has a better plot than RBY/GSC in terms of development, but it wasn't very character driven. Wally's evolution was treated more like a subplot than anything. The theme of RSE seemed to be balance and the relationship between man and his environment, so I would expect a sequel plot to deal with that same idea. Still, the whole "we're going to pursue extremism until it endangers even everything we care about, then act shocked at our own stupidity" plotline has already been done and resolved. There's no room to really develop Hoenn any more along that line without drawing in elements from another region of the game.

Ergo, I would expect a RSE sequel to center on remnants of Team Plasma or Team Galactic operating in Hoenn, and I would expect Latios and Latias to be the central Pokemon. Those two groups made their bread and butter on extremism, and they're the only good fit for it. Magma or Aqua trying again would be trite, especially after both Team Rocket and Team Plasma have had a second go at it. Magma or Aqua or both assisting the PC in stopping either Plasma or Galactic would work.

Along that line, I think Plasma would work better for that story than Galactic, since the rank and file members of Plasma are portrayed as much more human, since the nature of the team after their first defeat has been set up, and the natural schism in the group welcomes discussion about extremism.

So, with all that laid out, here is what I would like to see in the next Pokemon sequel:

Region: Hoenn
    Villainous Team: Plasma splinter group still advocating the extreme separation of humans and Pokemon, possibly formed by, lead by, or backed by one of the Pokemon N was given as a child
    Villainous Team Leader: One of the seven sages who is not Ghestis, Zinzolin, or Rood
    Pokemon Professor: Birch or his child
    Champion: May or Brendan
    Prominent Trainers: Steven, Wally, Birch's Child, N, Hilda/Hilbert (as informed by memory link; Hilbert by default), Rosa/Nate (as informed by memory link, Rosa by default, or Nate by default if BW1 with female PC is linked but no BW2 is linked), possibly Cynthia, Barry, Dawn, Lucas, Red, Ethan, Lyra
    How the main character gets drawn into the villain plot: Starter is stolen
    Primary goal of the villainous team: Hack the graphical pokemon storage system and use it to release all captured Pokemon in the wrong regoin
    Supplementary region: Sinnoh, where you must go to rescue your starter after defeating the team.

Plot: A splinter faction of Team Plasma advocating the forceful separation of humans and Pokemon begin abducting Pokemon in Hoenn, which has gotten less attention from powerful trainers in recent years. The Plasma faction is taking the Pokemon it's stealing, sending them to other regions, and setting them free, forcing the Pokemon to separate from their trainers. The PC would receive his or her pokemon before they started making major moves in the region, but quickly have their "starter" stolen. The whole game would be a quest to get it back before it makes its way to the port in Slateport, where it would be sent to another region. Or, possibly, you don't make it in time and have to go to that other region, likely Sinnoh, to get it back. Team Plasma's ultimate plan would be to obtain the source code for the graphical box system created by Lanette and hack into it, allowing them to steal all the Pokemon of all trainers in every region and set them all free in the wrong region.

At some point, they would actually manage to break into the system, and so your team would be locked to whatever you had out for the final portion of the fight against them. However, you would stop them before your Pokemon are sent to another region, or after only a small number of them are.

TLDR: A good sequel to a Pokemon game takes the really important aspect of the previous game and expands on it. Since Dppt was driven by Team Galactic, a good sequel would have to keep using Team Galactic. Since RSE was driven by the idea of extremism being bad, and since Team Magma/Aqua not learning their lesson would be stupid, an RSE sequel would have to have a villainous team from another region taking whatever they did before to preposterous extremes. Galactic wasn't really clear on its goals, so you'd have to use Team Plasma. Ergo, I hope to see a Hoenn-centered game where an extremist faction of Team Plasma has come and plans to hack into the graphical PC system created by Lanette to set Pokemon free in regions they're not from in order to prevent them from reuniting with their trainers, forcing separation between humans and Pokemon.

TLDR of TLDR: Extremist Team Plasma wanting to force all humans and Pokemon apart legit (and not just to create a power vaccuum) go to Hoenn and try to hack Lanette's stuff to mess up PCs EVERYWHERE.

A Hoenn remake would be great! There's just so much geographic potential for something like that... They could do a bunch of things with all the underwater territory, sunken ships, and so forth.
    rubyy likes this.

Has converted to Helixism Miles101's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hoenn seriously needs a sequel to redeem itself. It's hideously underrated and a sequel to the story (which I thought was a bit silly, but still fun) could save its hide.
    Sapphire likes this.

Hoenn needs a sequel badly. If you've noticed, every Pokemon game has had some type of remake or sequel (except for Pokemon Blue but then again technically it did) and it's time for Hoenn's turn.

Blog Entries

I wanna Kanto sequel, and also another Orre sequel.
    rubyy likes this.

Banner made by Sir Caprizant.

C-3

Hoenn and Sinnoh.

Honestly I'd like a RBY sequel or a GSC sequel. I know most of you think that GSC can technically count as a sequel for RBY, but it's not, the location is different and the trainers are different. Going by the logic that GSC is a sequel to RBY, you'd have to say that all the games are a sequel to RBY, which they technically are. The reason I want RBY and GSC to get true sequels is because I myself am I HUGE fan of Gen 1 and Gen 2, and FR/LG and HG/SS aren't really sequels, they're just updates on graphics and a little bit of updating on other things. Also, with RBY and GSC there isn't much of a plot, as already mentioned, mainly because in the original games they were just focusing on the game, and not the story, as a lot of games were back then, and then the remakes didn't get an update in the plot section in in the remakes. Also touching on the fact that the games have already hit this region several times, it's getting "old", what's wrong with having something in the same region or same area? Do you stop reading a book series or stop watching T.V series because it stays in the same geographical place or goes back to it? Now having it staying in the same plot place and same character place is boring, but there's nothing wrong with the same geographical location.

But to be honest, I just want them to keep making good games :3 I love Pokemon and I want them to keep making more games. Also, I have yet to play Black or White(*eep don't hate me!*), so I can't truly say I don't want to see another sequel to it, but I think another region should get it's turn first.

Blog Entries

Id love to see Hoenn again, by far my favorite region. it would be amazing to be able to battle all the gym leaders and explore the region again, not to mention doing with Pokemon from gen 4 and 5. if they were to remake it, they should defiantly add new places like forina and and alto mare that were in hoenn but exclusive to the anime. I still think steven stone should be in the game even if he is no longer the champion and lastly find out were the trick master went after you beat all his tricks.

Also i was very upset that unova got a sequel before hoenn and sinnoh did. if the were to make like a pokemon gray or something that would be fine, since that would be more of an updated version rather then a sequel. Like emerald was to ruby and sapphire. But the made a sequel like hg/ss was for johto. This is upsetting not because i didn't like unova but i was eagerly waiting for hoenn's sequel and it was next in line for one. The fact that they made a unova sequel worries me because this could mean that they completely skipped hoenn and sinnoh and will go to the next region and forget about them and never make a sequel.
    Last edited by rubyy; 26th November 2012 at 05:24 PM.

Automatic For The Ponies Romanesque-Marionette's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pidgeot View Post
    Unova. But I mean a region directly south of Unova,
    Delaware?

Eh, chalk me up for another Hoenn sequel wanter. Besides my love of the region itself, it'd also be easy to see Magma or Aqua continuing even if Maxie or Archie have reformed, as other people could still think it was only the former leaders' overestimation of themselves that led to their downfall, not because their inherent goals were wrong. Contrast to Galactic, which Platinum made clear is pretty much over and done with as a villain organisation (would be nice to see what their surviving Admins are up to though).

On the subject of Sinnoh however, looking at the strong mythic background they were trying to give it, I'd probably be more interested in a prequel for the region.
    Owain likes this.
    GIANT HOGWEED LIVES!

Visit Shadowmilll's Youtube Channel

If they would make a Hoenn remake, I would want to have it release during Gen VI because we could get new evolutions for the old Hoenn pokemon, like Luvdisc or Kecleon.

Master of Skarmory! Skarm-Flier's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd love to see a sequel to Platinum! Sinnoh was really interesting, and seeing what Team Galactic will do if they're reawakened under a new leader ( or if a new organization goes to Sinnoh, and well obviously, for me, the Sinnoh myths are the most interesting for me, so it'd be wonderful to have a Platinum sequel for the 3DS!

Hoenn best region
    best most creative vivid pokemon
    first region to have actual godly legendarys that dont look like robots
    its tropical like paradise
    has a graveyard mountain
    i love the music

Hoenn remake plz but change the plot

Visit Water-noctowl's Youtube Channel

Hoenn due to batteries.
    Last edited by Water-noctowl; 1st January 2013 at 02:33 PM.
    If you believe in the flying spaghetti monster post this in your sig. Don't just ignore this because he says if you deny me I will deny you in front of the beer volcano.

The Power of Electricity Jolty94's Avatar
    Follow Jolty94 On Twitter Add Jolty94 on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by flamewarflipsides View Post
    So, with all that laid out, here is what I would like to see in the next Pokemon sequel:

Region: Hoenn
    Villainous Team: Plasma splinter group still advocating the extreme separation of humans and Pokemon, possibly formed by, lead by, or backed by one of the Pokemon N was given as a child
    Villainous Team Leader: One of the seven sages who is not Ghestis, Zinzolin, or Rood
    Pokemon Professor: Birch or his child
    Champion: May or Brendan
    Prominent Trainers: Steven, Wally, Birch's Child, N, Hilda/Hilbert (as informed by memory link; Hilbert by default), Rosa/Nate (as informed by memory link, Rosa by default, or Nate by default if BW1 with female PC is linked but no BW2 is linked), possibly Cynthia, Barry, Dawn, Lucas, Red, Ethan, Lyra
    How the main character gets drawn into the villain plot: Starter is stolen
    Primary goal of the villainous team: Hack the graphical pokemon storage system and use it to release all captured Pokemon in the wrong regoin
    Supplementary region: Sinnoh, where you must go to rescue your starter after defeating the team.
    I completely agree. Having Sinnoh as another Region in the game would also be sooo fulfilling for me, especially siding with Hoenn. That would be pure genius, Hoenn & Sinnoh are my favourite Regions... I kinda went off Johto after I played through HG/SS waaay too many times with different Teams.
    Sapphire likes this.
    N is finished yet.

Hoenn! Hoenn of course. Ruby was my first and favorite pokemon game. So I'd love to see a sequel to that!
    Roses Die, but Ribbons Last Forever

Read my fanfiction, Within Our Crumbling World, and please review!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast