a question on breeding in g/s/c

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a question on breeding in g/s/c

Default a question on breeding in g/s/c

Hi there, I am a newcomer... not only for this forum but also for the pokemon world. I have completed my pokèdex in r, b and then started playing gold... and I think I missed up something about breeding. There's something I must have misunderstood about EGG MOVES or whatever.

Here's the problem.

I wanted to make a pure-water team for fun, and I wanted a Fighter in my team. Only choice is Poliwrath. But Poliwrath does not really learn any Fighting technique and there are not tms apart dynamic punch, so I decided to use (chain) breeding, starting from the only fighter which does not belong to breeding group 8: mankey.
    So I raised up a male mankey (breeding group 5) until it learned some decent attack (cross chop, seismic toss and karate chop. I deleted the 4th attack to keep an open spot for hypnosis which i like). Then I let him have... sex with a female Wooper (breeding groups 2 and 5: poliwag is group 2...). I had the egg. I walked to have him hatch and... the baby wooper ONLY KNEW WATER GUN AND TAIL WHIP!!! It didin't know ANY of the father's techniques as it should (or not?).

So I desperately started looking for infos in the web, and I found that, actually, not all of the father's moves can be bred but only certain "egg moves". But which moves are these, I don't know! How can I figure it out???

please give me some information if you can, and please also forgive me if my english is not so good... :)

Blog Entries

The Pokemon you breed it to has to be able to learn those moves. Check an online pokedex for details.

Just so Victoria, just so Mijzelffan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Mijzelffan On Twitter
    Follow Mijzelffan on Tumblr

yeah, you can't just give a pokémon every move it wants, it has to be able to get them from breeding, this are the moves available trough breeding for Poliwrath. But don't worry, Poliwrath learns Submission in level 35, which is a fighting move

Also, Poliwrath doesn't learn any fighting moves from breeding in G/S/C. The only fightning move it can learn without a Tm is submission

~Credit to CDB for the banner~

Ok i got it. I learned what "egg moves" are and I played a little bit.
    For example I gave a Charmender Bite and Rock Slide, sadly I discovered in Crystal I could give Crunch instead of Bite, but that's ok, I'm just experimenting.

One more thing didn't work however: i got an egg from a male rhyhorn with Crunch and Rock Slide (both obtained via breeding a female rhyhorn with a male Larvitar. So bad it took THREE trials to get a male Rhyhorn!!! GRRRR!!) and a Female Piloswine.
    In theory, according to the data I found on MANY websites, the resulting swinub should have learned both Crunch and Rock Slide, but it didn't. It only knew Rock Slide (oh, and tackle, of course). So I guess the data I found was not correct, or something is wrong in what I did?
    I'm playing with Silver right now.

Oh I also imported a Polywrath with Fissure and a Machamp with Earthquake and Rock Slide from Yellow. They're both male! But I guess that, via breeding, the baby will not get those moves, am I right? In fact those moves are not TMs in g/s and they are not egg moves, too... so bad.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Might be that you're looking at a later-than-GSC egg move list. Bulbapedia has them for all four generations, easily found. So. Yeah. Go for it.

But um, you realize you're playing a TEN YEAR OLD game. Right? Why didn't you go jump right into DPPt?

-i like those old games a lot and the fact that they are old doesn't matter for me. hehe, i'm a litttle bit old, too.... i've played games with much worse graphics and sound....
    -i haven't got a nintendo ds, and afaik you need a nintendo ds for crystal and pearl right? (moreover you know that you actually need two nds if you want to trade with yourself... which is a thing i must do cause i dont know anybody who plays pokemon... people think it's a game for kids maybe because of the anime, but i think it's a great rpg... it's a pity grownups don't understand it...) so i cant' play the 4th generation. i gave a look at the 3rd, tough. pokemon emerald. Seems nice. but it also seems that things are getting quite complicated. effort vaules, natures... it has always been a little annoying for me to look for a pokemon with good stats, and to train them to high level, now it's getting even worse... anyway, I will surely play emerald, but first let me have more fun with gold and silver.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pokenaab View Post
    -i like those old games a lot and the fact that they are old doesn't matter for me. hehe, i'm a litttle bit old, too.... i've played games with much worse graphics and sound....
    -i haven't got a nintendo ds, and afaik you need a nintendo ds for crystal and pearl right? (moreover you know that you actually need two nds if you want to trade with yourself... which is a thing i must do cause i dont know anybody who plays pokemon... people think it's a game for kids maybe because of the anime, but i think it's a great rpg... it's a pity grownups don't understand it...) so i cant' play the 4th generation. i gave a look at the 3rd, tough. pokemon emerald. Seems nice. but it also seems that things are getting quite complicated. effort vaules, natures... it has always been a little annoying for me to look for a pokemon with good stats, and to train them to high level, now it's getting even worse... anyway, I will surely play emerald, but first let me have more fun with gold and silver.
    Crystal is a gbc game so you don't need a ds for that.

I assume he ment DIAMOND and pearl.

dont worry though, lots of us on here are "too old" to play pokemon, im sure youll make some good friends on here who might live close to you.....

besides, with the WIFI on diamond/pearl/plat you can battle/trade with people all over the globe!
    I tend not to count my chickens before they hatch, it's a waste of my X-ray vision and mental cognition.
    ----------------------------------------------
    C:/DOS
    C:/DOS RUN
    /RUN DOS RUN

yeah I meant diamond, not crystal. sorry.
    but now i'm curious... you told me that many of you are "old" to play pokemon... well, I'll tell you my age then:

I'm 29.

Not bad, uh?

Gaga's Backup Dancer! shining-Celebi's Avatar

Also check the Day-care people don't erase moves; new moves take priority over learned moves so watch out.

That's happened to me. >.<
    For all your gaming needs including importing videogames from Japan and other countries, try Play-Asia(click below)
    BBlack and White now available for pre-order!

For questions, concerns, suggestions, help etc. on Play-Asia, message me, or leave a comment. ^ ^

gbfg

Blog Entries

Yeah good for HMs though

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

The effort values have been around since RBY, it's just that they weren't capped (so theoretically you could get a Pokémon with a 999 Speed stat just from beating so many Jolteon), and it's not really that hard. I mean, most websites have everything you need to know (Bulbapedia again, cough) and so all you need to do is figure out your strategy.

Blog Entries

Also stats rolled over past 999, so a Marowak with Thick Club using multiple Swords Dances will not surpass 999, but instead have the excess roll over starting from 1.

POKENAAB, 29 aint bad, cept your older than moi :P im 23
    I tend not to count my chickens before they hatch, it's a waste of my X-ray vision and mental cognition.
    ----------------------------------------------
    C:/DOS
    C:/DOS RUN
    /RUN DOS RUN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast