Pokemon MMO on future?

Thread: Pokemon MMO on future?

Default Pokemon MMO on future?

http://gonintendo.com/?p=43420

My opinion, also posted on GoNintendo. (which comes from a previous post in fact):

Shit. No thanks. Noooooooooooooo thanks. I don’t want to loose my life on an MMO… T_T Reasons has been stated on a post before.

I can agree that the story is not the best, but in the end, that is even what makes Pokemon a valuable, special game. While I agree that the addition of a GREAT story would make the game twice as good, I’m personally satisfied by its currenty state. I mean, come on! It’s one of the rare games that can be played for HUNDREDS of hours without being boring. In addition to that, one does not need to play HUNDREDS of hours even after a long time in order to be good at it. It’s nothing like an MMORPG. It’s just the combination of MANY elements that are found on several games. It combines strategy, preperation, heat of the moment, and even an action-feeling without it even being an action game.

Like I have said many times on the past, Pokemon turning onto an MMORPG would fail. I don’t want to spend my whole life for Pokemon. I love Pokemon, I’m the biggest fan, and it certainly changed my life rootly, but I won’t accept it to turn my life into a game. Its current state lets me being into things and being a GREAT trainer, even by playing just a little. The heating periods, when I’m playing with my friends, it can be 10 hours per day, but that’s just rare cases, and should stay rare, because else they wouldn’t even be special.

So, don’t say Pokemon should be an MMORPG. It would be great if some elements like optional limited MMO-like things were to be added, but if the whole game turned into a 100% MMORPG, there is a high chance that I would probably stop playing. And note that my name is Ash_Pokemaster.

If they were to make a Pokemon MMORPG, I hope they will AT LEAST not make it a main Pokemon game, and even more, than it will be well made. Although I probably don’t plan to play much. :P

why would you have to lose your life to a pokemon mmo? Don't let the laziness fool ya, mmo's don't have to be grind feasts. The same formula that makes pokemon great for hundreds of hours is the same one that would keep it from being a grind feast(i.e. trying to catch every pokemon and having a team so instead of raising one char to be INSANELY powerful you could just keep working on new pokemon to add options to your team.) I'd rather them make GS Remakes myself as I wouldn't play a pokemon mmo.
    Last edited by Laughing Bat; 24th May 2008 at 11:54 AM.
    3DS FC: 4570-7605-2787

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

It’s one of the rare games that can be played for HUNDREDS of hours without being boring.
    I pretty much stopped reading after that point.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

when you need more, have+ bell02+'s Avatar

You don't have to get addicted to an MMO, that's more of a stereotype. I've played MMO's in the past and didn't get addicted...

That said, Places like Go Nintendo are always speculating about a Pokemon or Animal Crossing MMO, and I say that it is more wishful thinking. To be honest, Animal Crossing as an MMO would pretty much break the game and turn it into an enhanced chat program. (Leaving Nintendo to focus mainly on the online rather than improving the franchise, aka it'll make Wild World +)

Animal Crossing was more than just Trade and communication with other players it was about living in a little peaceful world. Now I believe it should have online features and MMO elements, but that is another topic.

As for Pokemon, in the past I've thought about how to handle a Pokemon MMO, but to be honest, thinking about what would make it amazing and how to handle it would probably take up too much space on a disk. By design, it also would be best to be built around expansion packs, something the Wii wouldn't be good at right now. Then you have to consider how to separate it from the game boy games, an addictive MMO would put it in direct competition with itself it they give the same experience. I mean, would you want to raise up multiple teams each gen when you can just by an expansion pack and get more of the same stuff?

Right now though, recently I've been thinking what would really make a cool idea for a Pokemon MMO would be a game set in the Mysterious Dungeon Universe. (I realize that the changes would keep it from being a true MD game, but hear me out). It is an undefined world of wonder (With many places not really connected, we don't get a sense of the size of the world), and the set up is already MMO friendly.

*People play as the pokemon themselves, they aren't doing a pokemon battle so it isn't directly turn oriented (but real time) and they can have regular attacks.
    *Stamina used for restraining moves like how Stamina restrains your movement in MD. (Giving the illusion of a turn based system)
    *Have AI controlled partners and/or Online friends in your Exploration/Rescue Teams, form guilds with others.
    *Randomly generated Dungeons between the over world to keep things new on limited space.
    *In a world of pokemon.. equipt items to cover weaknesses and create originality. There are no humans in this world, but the pokemon as sophisticated to build their own armors, clothing, weapons, and items to use to battle.
    *Pokemon Attacks work like abilities and spells in the RPG world.

Then new things I thought about like collecting status that can change the type of pokemon you are when you go to base and transfering the data of your monsters from ruby and sapphire. Being able to do basic attacks on the Wiimote and such.

Not to sound cocky or anything, I'd be curious to compare ideas with them, as this is only a small percentage of the idea ('cause the full idea is many several pages long and growing) and an Online MD game is something that I think would be interesting with distracting from sales of PBR-like games, Gameboy games, or even future MD games (though I doubt there'd be another one).

It's tasting time! Kasumi's Avatar Former Art Director
    Blog Entries
    Follow Kasumi On Twitter Add Kasumi on Google+
    Follow Kasumi on Tumblr Follow Kasumi on Flickr

MMO's suck. And hopefully Pokemon will never create one.

Blog Entries

If anything, I want better online functionality for Pokemon games (read as NO FRIEND CODES, PLEASE) and that's it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sho
    Noobs don't have far to fall!

Salac Berry and TM 64 (Explosion) wanted! | Chat! (DON'T TALK ABOUT ACE ATTORNEY OKAY) | KEVIN'S CAR

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    I pretty much stopped reading after that point.
    Congratulations, very contributing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasumi View Post
    MMO's suck. And hopefully Pokemon will never create one.
    And I second that.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankyman View Post
    If anything, I want better online functionality for Pokemon games (read as NO FRIEND CODES, PLEASE) and that's it.
    Friend Codes are Nintendo's policy, which unfortunately we won't get rid of too soon... :P There are still things that could make things better though; random battles let's say. An well, I can't say that I wouldn't like something like an option to meet people online; similarily to the WiFi Underground, which is rumored, let's say. But if too much thought was given to that, turning Pokemon into an MMORPG itself, I'm afraid that it would loose its point.

It would turn into a completely different game, which would probably need too much time. And time is important, I have more things to do than playing one game for 10 hours a day just in order to be good at it. Because when it comes to MMORPG's, that's it, in most of cases. Like I said, I like Pokemon because time needed in order to be a good trainer and being a good trainer are do not have an analogical relationship.

Its just that a pokemom mmo just wouldn't work. Remember that kid in fortree who says 'I never leave home without my GBA'? I live by that code. I dont want to connect to the net every time I play the game, It just defeats the object of the game.
    I want to be able to whip out my DS wherever I am and play one of the best god damn games ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohansan View Post
    Its just that a pokemom mmo just wouldn't work. Remember that kid in fortree who says 'I never leave home without my GBA'? I live by that code. I dont want to connect to the net every time I play the game, It just defeats the object of the game.
    I want to be able to whip out my DS wherever I am and play one of the best god damn games ever made.
    Which is what the handheld games are for. And for the people who would rather play at home, Pokemon Stadium/Coliseum.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash_Pokemaster View Post
    It would turn into a completely different game, which would probably need too much time. And time is important, I have more things to do than playing one game for 10 hours a day just in order to be good at it. Because when it comes to MMORPG's, that's it, in most of cases. Like I said, I like Pokemon because time needed in order to be a good trainer and being a good trainer are do not have an analogical relationship.
    Why? Why would you have to play for 10 hours a day in order to be good? The same formula that has been used since the red and blue days could be used for an mmo. The reason so many mmo's are like that is because they are trying to keep you playing and since you are only playing one char(most of the time anyways) that one char has a long way to go before they are as powerful as they can be. Because of the sheer amount of pokemon to catch and train there would be no reason to make such a high level of power, the one from the current games would work fine. pvp would probably end up being the same as it is in d/p so that wouldn't really effect it. Making it interactive with the handheld games would also be essential, trading pokemon back and forth between the games would allow people to play anywhere and still have it contribute to their online game.

The problems with most mmo's aren't because they are mmo's but because of how the designers handle the game, they are designed to keep you playing(and thus paying in most cases) for as long as possible, pokemon works really well with that idea becuase instead of just leveling one char you can level hundres, since you can only have 6 pokemon at a time it becomes more about tactics then being a power house witch means you don't have to play 10 hours a day to compete with the power houses, although ev training will probably still keep some people out of pvp(but its like that in d/p anyways.)I still don't wanna see one made as I have no interest in playing a mmo pokemon game and would rather they work on GS remakes :p. I'm just trying to say the formula would work very well in an mmo setting because its basic gameplay accomplishes what most of the annoying stuff usually seen in mmo's is trying to accomplish.
    3DS FC: 4570-7605-2787