I've spoken to a moderator regarding this and he says that it is ok to go ahead with.
Essentially the challenge will be split into nine segments, attempting to get the fastest total time in one Fire Red or Leaf Green save file. The player plays through the games as fast as possible and stops to save at various check points and then uploads the save file or posts a print screen. Each week we will play up until a certain check point and then see who gets the fastest time. At the very end we shall see has the fastest total time at completing the game. A checkpoint is right after every gym leader and also right after defeating the whole Elite Four and Champion Rival.
The only requirement of the challenge is that you beat the Elite Four and Rival. Nothing else. Players may wish to use emulators and roms, use the Game Boy Advance or the DS to play the game (If not using an emulator then photographs of the screen are required to show progress).
The basic rules:
- Abuse of glitches or cheating/hacking is forbidden.
- All in game times at each split will have one minute added to them (As the game always round down). For more accurate split times, feel free to record yourself playing and upload a video to Youtube so that we can get the split in seconds.
- The final time can be found on the trainer card after defeating the Champion. This shows seconds.
- Saving or soft resetting any point other than a checkpoint is forbidden.
- You must play onwards from you're fastest time on the last checkpoint (If using an emulator, save your fastest time).
- The game should be saved and print screened immediately after defeating each gym leader.
- You may have as many attempts at a run as you like.
I'm afraid that I cannot offer prizes but you do get to be top of a leaderboard. As this is week one, people may sign up and immediately start on getting a fast time to beating Brock.
Split times to Brock: