Pokemon Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness - Main Series or Not?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Pokemon Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness - Main Series or Not?

Follow Sepharos On Twitter Add Sepharos on Facebook
    Visit Sepharos's Youtube Channel

Default Pokemon Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness - Main Series or Not?

Hey guys, after researching for a while, I've come to a standstill on a Pokemon gaming question.
    Is Pokemon Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness to be considered part of the main series or not?
    On one hand, they do maintain certain main series trademarks:
    - Controlling a silent, human protagonist.
    - Ability to catch, raise, and trade Pokemon.
    - Ability to fight other trainers/wild Pokemon.

However, many people don't consider these games main series, for the reasoning of:
    - Not being on a portable console.
    - Not being designed by Game Freak.
    - No route exploration.

What take do you guys have on this issue and how would you best describe the situation?

I'm a Biotic God. FEAR ME sonic10158's Avatar

Default Re: Pokemon Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness - Main Series or Not?

They are spin offs

Top game series: Pokémon, Mass Effect, Mario, Sonic, Batman Arkham, Ace Combat, Forza, GTA, Sly Cooper, etc

Follow Sepharos On Twitter Add Sepharos on Facebook
    Visit Sepharos's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by sonic10158 View Post
    They are spin offs.
    If somebody was to complete the third generation 100%, would you consider it cheating to use them then?
    Why or why not?

No because you wouldn't be breaking any rules

Top game series: Pokémon, Mass Effect, Mario, Sonic, Batman Arkham, Ace Combat, Forza, GTA, Sly Cooper, etc

Blog Entries

Follow Ennife on Tumblr

I'm not sure.

No:
    - Neither is on a portable console,
    - Neither can trade to a portable console game without a gameboy player (if I recall correctly)
    - No explorable routes, or in Colosseum's case, no wild pokemon whatsoever

Yes:
    - Makes it possible to obtain all the version exclusives if you play Colosseum and XD as a companion to either Ruby or Sapphire and FireRed or LeafGreen. Smart business decision on their part in my opinion to get fans to cross platforms.

I wouldn't consider it to be cheating if you use them to complete the Third Generation 100%, playing through them is the only way I completed my third gen 'dex.
    Black FC: 0003 2921 9951
    Platinum FC : 0389 5693 5042

September 9 ~ If we had an open trade or request before I went MIA, please PM me and I'd LOVE to work out the details again.
    Working on a Wishmaker Jirachi trade station (almost a giveaway) since I dug up my Bonus Disk, VM/PM me if you're interested.

Panne Cottontail Kakuna Matata's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Kakuna Matata on Tumblr

I've always thought of them as side games, along with any other game in the series that wasn't about collecting badges/like RGBY.

That said, I don't see how it's considered cheating to use them to complete one's 'Dex, since the game gives you the option to trade to a handheld main game and the main game recognizes and accepts the trade.

Cheating and whether or not they are spin-offs is two totally different things. In fact, using them is the only way to fill your pokedex (getting the johto starters) in Gen III, but that doesn't automatically make them main series games.
    VeggiePopper likes this.

Cheating and whether or not they are spin-offs is two totally different things. In fact, using them is the only way to fill your pokedex (getting the johto starters) in Gen III, but that doesn't automatically make them main series games.
    That sir is incorrect. In Pokémon Emerald, after the player has caught all Pokémon in the Hoenn Pokédex with the exception of Jirachi and Deoxys, Professor Birch will offer one of these Pokémon as a reward. proving that you can obtain Johto starters without Colosseum or XD, but anyway I think they are spin-offs however I don't consider using them to complete your pokedex
    cheating.

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

They are sidegames designed to work with the main series because of the ability to trade Pokemon from the mainseries games to Colosseum/XD and was the only way to get certain Pokemon in the 3rd gen for a while until Emerald/FRLG were released. They also had Lugia and Ho-oh which were event exclusive in the 3rd gen, so if you didnt get that event, it was the only way to get those legendaries. Using them to complete the Pokedex is perfectly fine for this reason.
    Water Max likes this.

Horu Horu no Mi true user Ronflex's Avatar

Honest answer: no. They aren't made in Game Freak, they aren't handheld games. So not.
    My answer: YES! They are wonderful games with the same mechanics of the main games, you can connect with other gen III games and so on. I'd like they were official main series games.
    You may say: They exist and you can play them, what's the difference if they are "considered" official or not? Easy. If they were official there would be a dedicated Pokéspe Arc. ;) I can't believe they included the Snap guy and not the Colosseum plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe67 View Post
    That sir is incorrect. In Pokémon Emerald, after the player has caught all Pokémon in the Hoenn Pokédex with the exception of Jirachi and Deoxys, Professor Birch will offer one of these Pokémon as a reward. proving that you can obtain Johto starters without Colosseum or XD, but anyway I think they are spin-offs however I don't consider using them to complete your pokedex
    cheating.

When Colosseum came out, Pokemon Colosseum was the only way to get the Johto starters. Emerald came later

Visit ZACH ATTACK's Youtube Channel

There's no way that could be cheating, but they aren't main series games. It would be no more cheating than using Ranger to get Manaphy (which I wish I could do; *sigh).

Black Friend Code: 4040 9796 7331 | Overall VGC Record: 16-10 | Credit goes to Power of Aura for the signature!

Blog Entries

Spin offs.

1. No gyms, all confirmed main series games have gyms. Well, there is one gym, but that doesn't count.
    2. No wild Pokemon (except for XD's inconvenient system)
    3. No option to play as a female character.
    4. Not on a handheld system

And more.

But don't get me wrong, they have obvious similarities, and are more like the main series games than pretty much any other spin off.

Quote Originally Posted by PkmnCrystal View Post
    3. No option to play as a female character
    Again I felt a need to correct, you could not in fact play as a female until pokemon crystal in genII, sorry I just hate leaving people uninformed

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe67 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PkmnCrystal View Post
    3. No option to play as a female character
    Again I felt a need to correct, you could not in fact play as a female until pokemon crystal in genII, sorry I just hate leaving people uninformed
    Yeah, but Pokemon XD/Colosseum are Gen 3.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast