Pocket Monsters Green Glitches

Thread: Pocket Monsters Green Glitches

Default Pocket Monsters Green Glitches

I managed to get myself a copy of Pokémon Green, got it from Japan, earlier this year. Yes, it is the real copy. The only thing I was annoyed about that the game was V.1.1 not V.1.0, oh well.
    Yes, anyway, I think I might of ruined my game a little bit after tripping over a few weeks ago(on concrete), I had my GBC in my hand, so yeah. Anyway after that when I was playing green version, just battling a trainer and whenever I pressed 'A' it pressed 'A' twice.. so I soon figured that my game probably was kind of ruined from me falling over.
    Anyway something weird, after Lavender Town, I was at route 24, the bridge, one of the fisherman's sprite was facing with it's back in my characters direction.. and the '!' came up
    and well of course I battled the trainer. Creepy thing is he wasn't facing forward.. I supposed that was a glitch unless the person had eyes on the back of his head which I really doubt so.

So have you encountered any random, or unusual glitches in Green version?
    If so feel free to discuss. Reason why I posted this thread. Everyone is familiar with glitches in the English versions of the game so I thought "What about the Japanese versions?".

PS, it would be better if you discussed if you actually have a cartridge of the game, as on emulators you can change codes etc. (You can only use Gameshark or whatever on GameBoy's but I don't think you can change the codes. Which is a thing some people do on emulators).

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pocket Monsters Green Glitches

Quote Originally Posted by TyranitarGirl View Post
    I managed to get myself a copy of Pokémon Green, got it from Japan, earlier this year. Yes, it is the real copy. The only thing I was annoyed about that the game was V.1.1 not V.1.0, oh well.
    Yes, anyway, I think I might of ruined my game a little bit after tripping over a few weeks ago(on concrete), I had my GBC in my hand, so yeah. Anyway after that when I was playing green version, just battling a trainer and whenever I pressed 'A' it pressed 'A' twice.. so I soon figured that my game probably was kind of ruined from me falling over.
    Anyway something weird, after Lavender Town, I was at route 24, the bridge, one of the fisherman's sprite was facing with it's back in my characters direction.. and the '!' came up
    and well of course I battled the trainer. Creepy thing is he wasn't facing forward.. I supposed that was a glitch unless the person had eyes on the back of his head which I really doubt so.

So have you encountered any random, or unusual glitches in Green version?
    If so feel free to discuss. Reason why I posted this thread. Everyone is familiar with glitches in the English versions of the game so I thought "What about the Japanese versions?".

PS, it would be better if you discussed if you actually have a cartridge of the game, as on emulators you can change codes etc. (You can only use Gameshark or whatever on GameBoy's but I don't think you can change the codes. Which is a thing some people do on emulators).
    You can read about various 1st gen glitches and my own green version shenanigans here.

Odd things happened when you tried international trading back in the day.

Yes, I am THAT gli. :P Gligar13's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not many people have really tried glitching on Green, as it wasn't released in the US, while the Pirating youtube kids who glitched stayed away from foreign language copies.

I might get a Japanese copy to glitch the crap out of it, auctions with all 4 Gen I Japanese games are common, and you can also easily find Gen II Japanese copies easily.
    dA::YT::furaffinity::Yes, I DID claim Gligar.

I'm User:Chickasaurus

Quote Originally Posted by Gligar13 View Post
    Not many people have really tried glitching on Green, as it wasn't released in the US, while the Pirating youtube kids who glitched stayed away from foreign language copies.

I might get a Japanese copy to glitch the crap out of it, auctions with all 4 Gen I Japanese games are common, and you can also easily find Gen II Japanese copies easily.
    There are whole websites dedicated to select button glitching in Pokémon Red and Green, though not surprisingly in Japanese. I've been experimenting with some of these in the last few months. My favourite is the "fossil conversion glitch".

Edit:

Gen II Japanese copies easily.
    Unfortunately the only Japanese exclusive Generation II glitch I've heard of, as of it works without GameShark is this and perhaps something else, but I can't remember much about it.
    Last edited by Torchickens; 14th May 2011 at 10:20 AM.

Yes, I am THAT gli. :P Gligar13's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Gen II was sadly when glitches were patched, but Gen I has shitloads of select button glitchers. And you know what? It's fun.

I once select button glitched into a glitched trade sequence.

Also, how can you tell which version a green copy is? I want some Japanese Gen I, II, and III games from eBay.
    dA::YT::furaffinity::Yes, I DID claim Gligar.

I'm User:Chickasaurus

Gen II was sadly when glitches were patched, but Gen I has shitloads of select button glitchers. And you know what? It's fun.
    I wouldn't say that it was when most glitches were patched, just most major glitches. Generation I isn't actually that glitchy if you think about it, its just that there are a larger proportion of major glitches which allow you to mess with the actual game engine itself and exploit subglitches which can be complicated but happen for a reason. If you take a look at this (well its impossible to get that glitch move in Generation IV I know) and some of the actual exploitable without cheating Pomeg sub-glitches in Generation III they are pretty much like some of the Generation I glitches.

I agree that Generation II is less glitchy but if you take two examples of major glitches like the Sketch glitch and Bug Catching Contest exploit (JP) version they are par/almost as glitchy as some of the Generation I major glitches.

Sadly you can't use the select button exploit in Japanese Blue (the special edition) but yeah messing with select button glitches is epically fun! You can basically jump to level 100 whenever you want, which you can do with Trainer-Fly glitch to get a Level 1 medium-slow Pokémon in Red/Blue but this other Red/Green method is easier. You can also do other things, like no-clipping (again possible in Red/Blue), item mutation (possible in Red/Blue too) and getting absolutely any Pokémon even glitch Pokémon hex 0xFE, 0xFD, 0xFC and 0xFB (shame you can't trade them over to English localizations though)

Also, how can you tell which version a green copy is? I want some Japanese Gen I, II, and III games from eBay.
    If you enter Lavender Town and the music is slightly different i.e. higher pitched notes are played in one of the background tracks which make up Lavender Town, you have version 1.0. supposedly.
    Last edited by Torchickens; 15th May 2011 at 09:38 AM.