PMD's Linked Move feature in the main game - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PMD's Linked Move feature in the main game

never finished Gen. 2 ZeekSlider's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: PMD's Linked Move feature in the main game

Forget it. This thread sucks.

I just wanted to see what would happen, but clearly the ONLY thing that will happen is that people will abuse it and link all the powerful moves together and make some mondo super move that would cause people to just hate the feature entire.

So much for thinking that people came up with unique battle strategies, like that one person I saw on YouTube who is able to pull off a Baton Pass stat boost using Belly Drum and some Berry that increases the user's speed in one turn. I guess moves, hold items, and abilities is all the strategies anyone needs.

Offline for a while HexagonStephen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, we can already do combo moves. They just take more than one turn to execute. Linking these moves would just be too easy to make the strategies happen.

Also, I am offering my services as an Original Pokemon Trainer designer. It's free, but I might need time depending on your requests. PM for details if you are interested.

Offline possibly for the summer. Don't VM or PM me because I may not see it for a few months.

Blog Entries

So far the only one that I've seen that has had any success is the aformentioned Baton Passing Smeargle.

Every other combo that I've seen, or for that matter even attempted, has been blocked or nutrallized before the combo even can get set off. Both by other players and by the computer.

Blog Entries

That's why we have moves like Baton Pass. For combos and whatnot. Why bother adding a link system.

Also, I am offering my services as an Original Pokemon Trainer designer. It's free, but I might need time depending on your requests. PM for details if you are interested.

Offline possibly for the summer. Don't VM or PM me because I may not see it for a few months.

Blog Entries

For the idiots with bad luck like myself. Just now, I tried to set up a Defense Curl Rollout in Stadium 2. The computer saw it coming and BOOM! Counter.

Then there was the Lock-On Thunder combo I tried when I actually had a saved game on Gold. That failed more times than I could remember, and I was using a Porygon to avoid getting OHKO by Earthquake. Computer saw through that as well and SOMEHOW countered it. Even tried Belly Drum, Rest, Snore once. Couldn't even get the Snore out before the Snorlax I had got hammered.

Technically, the only combo I've been able to pull off was back in RBY with Thunderwave and Confuse Ray. Tried to do the Toxic, Substitute, Recover/Leech Seed tactic that I've seen done before, but I could never get Substitute out before getting KO'd.

Basically, anyone can beat me because I suck at battling. It's gotten to the point where my battle strategy is "hit them as hard as you can as often as you can and don't give a damn about your stats." Works wonders against the computer, but against people? Nope. If I had Pokemon Battle Revolution or any of the current generation titles, I can promise you my Wi-Fi battle record would be 0-100-0.

Blog Entries

Well, the Computer is set up to predict combos like that. Try to come up with new combinations that won't be so easy to predict or counter.

Blog Entries

That's why my battle strategy is now an all offensive without a care in the world as to what happens to me. As long as I can hit them and hit them hard. I simple evasion n00b like what Koga does in Stadium 2 E4 round could beat me with no problem.

I just thought of something: Mind Reader + Sheer Cold Articuno. If you don't have anything that outspeeds it... there goes 5/6 of your team. (Even if there was the added PP-reduction, it'd still be a ridiculously overpowered combo.) Yeah, I know the OHKO moves are pretty much banned in every competitive battle, but still.

Despite being broken, linking moves in-game would still create some interesting options. Belly Drum + Rest + Chesto in one turn, FEAR becomming... FER without needing the Quick Attack and not be countered by priority anymore, Endure + Reversal can use a Fighting Gem or something instead of the pretty much needed Salac Berry, etc.. (... Can Endure be linked in the firs place? Oh well, it doesn't really matter. xD)

"We understand ideals like love and dreams
    But reality in front of your eyes isn't so easy."

Blog Entries

^^ Yes, but it would cause everyone to make broken combos. This idea is just for people that can't get good enough combos on their own that need to resort to creating broken tactics.

Blog Entries

My tactic is already broken, so it makes no differance for me...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12