Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console Possibility Thread

View Poll Results: Which "main series" game would you prefer to see on the 3DS Virtual Console?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pokémon Red Version / Pokémon Blue Version

5 10.87%
  • Pokémon Yellow Version

12 26.09%
  • Pokémon Gold Version / Pokémon Silver Version

1 2.17%
  • Pokémon Crystal Version

8 17.39%
  • Pokémon Ruby Version / Pokémon Sapphire Version

1 2.17%
  • Pokémon FireRed Version / Pokémon LeafGreen Version

5 10.87%
  • Pokémon Emerald Version

8 17.39%
  • None.

6 13.04%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console Possibility Thread

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Default Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console Possibility Thread

Hello Every-nyan!

By now, everyone must know of one of the Nintendo 3DS' biggest selling points - the Virtual Console for Gameboy and Gameboy Colour games. Numerous websites have been running polls on which Gameboy games 3DS owners want to see on the Virtual Console, and Pokémon Red Version and Pokémon Blue Version are constantly topping those polls. That's understandable, considering Red and Blue were the top-selling games on the handheld.

Now, Nintendo have thrown another spanner in the works - sure, we were all anticipating possible ports of Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver and Crystal, but Nintendo's Ambassador programme announcement also confirms that it is possibly for Gameboy Advance games to be placed on the Virtual Console; so this can also lead to the possibility of Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed, LeafGreen, Emerald being available (as well as the GB and GBA spin offs).

Being inspired by the Game & Watch titles (yes, they were remade on the Gameboy, but shush), I was thinking that maybe we could also receive a VC port of the Pokémon Pikachu, which would use Play Coins as Watts.
    In regards to the ports, I assume that the main series games would have the trading/mechanic changed to be done over local wireless, and have disclaimers that the games are incompatible with other non-Virtual Console Pokémon games (Although maybe they could tweak Gen III ports to work with the PokéTransfer?)

For a full list of Gameboy/Colour titles:

For a full list of Gameboy Advance titles:

Misc.:
    Pokémon Pikachu
    Pokémon Pikachu Colour
    Pokémon Pikachu 2 GS

So, out of all the Gameboy/Gameboy Colour/Gameboy Advance Pokémon games, which one(s) would you like to see ported the most? Also, post other stuff related to the possibility of VC ports here!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console Possibility Thread

Why no multi-vote option?

Also lack of "other" option on the poll since it doesn't list spin-offs.

So given those options, none.
    yourlilemogirl likes this.

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

Damn it i wanted to make this thread :C
    Id really love to see this happen. It would certainly boost Nintendo 3DS sales and give me a reason to buy the console.Im interested in how the mechanics would work for such games, would trading be possible, or downloading events? They obvously wouldnt be able to connect to teh actual GBA/Gameboy games, only with each other but, still a good concept.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Psystrike View Post
    Why no multi-vote option?

Also lack of "other" option on the poll since it doesn't list spin-offs.

So given those options, none.
    Because if it was multi-vote, we'd vote for all of them =3. As for why no "Other", the mainseries is obviously the one people care about the most (the spin offs only really got their own light with the DS-era), and I didn't want too many options xD

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Celebi View Post
    Damn it i wanted to make this thread :C
    Id really love to see this happen. It would certainly boost Nintendo 3DS sales and give me a reason to buy the console.Im interested in how the mechanics would work for such games, would trading be possible, or downloading events? They obvously wouldnt be able to connect to teh actual GBA/Gameboy games, only with each other but, still a good concept.
    I'd imagine that with trading/battling, it would be made so it can be done using local wireless instead of link cable; although it would be limited to other Virtual Console titles (Well, Gen I-II VGC titles). As for Gen III, I imagine they could program it to work with the PokéTransfer from Gen V as normal (DS Download Play).

Blog Entries

Because if it was multi-vote, we'd vote for all of them =3. As for why no "Other", the mainseries is obviously the one people care about the most (the spin offs only really got their own light with the DS-era), and I didn't want too many options xD
    Having one other option for "other" isn't that many, and now you'll never know if your assumption was correct.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

The only Pokemon games I could see on the 3DS virtual console are the spin-off games because the main games require link trading (via cable) to get certain Pokemon, which is downright impossible because the handheld doesn't support link cables, only wireless.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    The only Pokemon games I could see on the 3DS virtual console are the spin-off games because the main games require link trading (via cable) to get certain Pokemon, which is downright impossible because the handheld doesn't support link cables, only wireless.
    But that would require minimal tweaking that Nintendo could handle even without involving Game Freak. Crystal, FRLG and Emerald already have wireless support, so it would even be easier in their case. Tehnically, they could even use the 3DS' infrared port to emulate the Link Cable instead.

On the other hand:

Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott
    As for Gen III, I imagine they could program it to work with the PokéTransfer from Gen V as normal (DS Download Play).
    Can the 3DS support DS Play? I've never heard anything that suggests this. I'm more inclined to think that Mystery Gift would be used instead, although this would mean transferring one Pokémon at a time. The key advantage of Mystery Gift is that it would also be compatible with Generation I/II ports, as the data could be entirely recalculated.
    Last edited by Silktree; 28th July 2011 at 11:37 AM.

Blog Entries

You know, having the 3DS virtual console GenI-III games and allowing them to transfer over would be a really easy way to distribute Hidden Abilities, and having access to those hidden abilities would be incentive for gamers to buy those old games as well.
    Minimiscience likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psystrike View Post
    You know, having the 3DS virtual console GenI-III games and allowing them to transfer over would be a really easy way to distribute Hidden Abilities, and having access to those hidden abilities would be incentive for gamers to buy those old games as well.
    It would also mean getting access to hidden abilities as well as old moves, although certain Generation IV TMs and Move Tutors would still be a problem.

It would be rather ironic if Generation II Ho-Oh and Lugia were more useful than their Generation IV counterparts, due to Regenerator and Multiscale.
    Last edited by Silktree; 28th July 2011 at 11:55 AM.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    But that would require minimal tweaking that Nintendo could handle even without involving Game Freak. Crystal, FRLG and Emerald already have wireless support, so it would even be easier in their case. Tehnically, they could even use the 3DS' infrared port to emulate the Link Cable instead.
    But Virtual Consoles are left untouched (no minor nor major tweaks), which is why Earthbound wasn't released worldwide because they don't want to change anything in order to be available in other countries. That means no cable support for the 3DS.

Blog Entries

I don't think they are ever going to be on eShop, so I voted for none.
    My GPX+
    My 3DS FC is 5412-9933-2792.
    DON'T
    like my posts. It just annoys me.

Get those Devil Horns up Magmortar123's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm hoping for either red and blue, or gold and silver. I've only played yellow and crystal from gen I and II. It'd be nice to play the originals.
    My stats
    BMGF Mentor Program!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Springer
    Would you dance on a Czechoslovakian?
    I strongly support DaniHime (Me X Orihime)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    But Virtual Consoles are left untouched (no minor nor major tweaks), which is why Earthbound wasn't released worldwide because they don't want to change anything in order to be available in other countries. That means no cable support for the 3DS.
    This may have been true in the past, but the first Virtual Console game with Wi-Fi support has already been announced. It may be too late for the WiiWare too see similar releases, but things are just getting started for the 3DS, and it is only now that the Pokémon main series games - arguably the epitome of multiplayer - can be ported.

As for EarthBound, what does it have to do with wireless play? According to this page, there are legal problems with those games that pertain to pop-culture references, which are apparently ubiquitous. I can see why that kind of changes would give Nintendo second thoughts about porting the games, but it doesn't apply to Pokémon.
    Last edited by Silktree; 28th July 2011 at 12:53 PM.

Mama, we all go to hell. TheCapsFan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow TheCapsFan on Tumblr

Well, reading what other people have said above, I really don't think that there are going to be any on Virtual Console.
    BUT if I had to choose a game, I'd choose yellow. I never got to play Gen I and Yellow is the only game that stood out from that generation.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    As for EarthBound, what does it have to do with wireless play? According to this page, there are legal problems with those games that pertain to pop-culture references, which are apparently ubiquitous. I can see why that kind of changes would give Nintendo second thoughts about porting the games, but it doesn't apply to Pokémon.
    It was an example to prove my point of Nintendo refusing to make any changes on games for the Virtual Consoles and how they must stay in their original forms.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast