My personal Pokemon Silver tragedy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My personal Pokemon Silver tragedy

Default My personal Pokemon Silver tragedy

I may be a recent prodigal son of Pokemon, but during my five-year hiatus I did play Yellow or Silver every once in a blue moon (and then only to remember, in the first five minutes, how bad I had become at battling and quickly turn it back off again), and I also bought Emerald and LeafGreen (though I only played them just enough to get through the main story, and didn't bother too much with collecting and leveling-up, so I didn't consider myself "back in the habit" then).
    Well, one day about a couple years ago, I popped Silver into my GBA SP, only to read "NEW GAME" in the start-box. What? No "CONTINUE"?! What happened!? I tried a new game and saving that, but when I turned it back on, it still only said "NEW GAME".
    Sure enough, my save battery on Silver had died.
    I was appalled. I had heard horror stories before of peoples' save batteries on other handheld games dying, but I had assumed that was because they didn't take proper care of their cartridges. Also, I sort of took it for granted that the save battery on Pokemon games would be a whole lot... I dunno... sturdier?
    The worst thing about it is that I had a semi-COMPLETE PokeDex on that game. That's right, I had gone to extreme pains to catch/trade every Pokemon except for Mew and Celebi, which I could never obtain anyway since no Nintendo events ever passed anywhere near my hometown. But I had everything else, even having invested hour upon grueling hour into locating and catching Entei, Raikou and Suikune.
    I know it shouldn't be that terrible of a thing to happen, since the older games are practically worthless nowadays due to anything past Generation II not being backwards-compatible, but still! I would think the whole tragedy might have something to do with the cartridge's lack of use, but the weird thing is, my copy of Pokemon Yellow is about a year older and fell into the same disuse over the years, and it's still fit as a fiddle.

My question is, will the battery eventually die on my Pokemon Emerald and LeafGreen games? Is there any point to my gathering up a nice big PokeDex all over again? What about Generation IV, once I join that bandwagon? Do DS cards employ a more reliable device for saving?

On a random note, I pine for a DS remake of Gold and Silver.

Default Re: My personal Pokemon Silver tragedy

I think you can get the battery replaced, I'm not sure if it keeps your save data, it probably doesn't. The point is to enjoy it while it lasts..

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

GBA games don't store saved data like that. The battery in Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald is to keep the internal clock running. Fire Red and Leaf Green shouldn't have a battery--if it has one it's a pirate copy.

Also Gold and Silver's battery goes out way faster than other games. It's rare for a game to have their battery to run out even if they are pretty old.
    I doubt the saved file could be recovered by simply changing the battery, though. That's probably something you should've done before... but you don't lose anything for trying.

The same thing happened to my Crystal version. I was sad when my save file was deleted and I could no longer save. All the good memories with that game; starting and deleting and re-starting. The countless hours I spent raising Totodiles/Croconaws/Feraligatrs.
    The battery probably would've ran out on my Gold version as well if not for my Gold version already having been destroyed. Long story short, I lent it to someone and that borrower, by accident, dropped it in some liquid.

Blog Entries

Well, my gold has'nt died yet, but since there is a clock system, it drains the internal battery faster then it would with the gen 1 games

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

So far, only my Gold and Crystal versions have conked out. Luckily, I wasn't very far along in those games.

Silver is a whole other can of Wurmple. It hasn't died, but I wasn't about to take any chances, so I stored all of my Silver Pokémon in Pokémon Stadium 2. All of them, that is, except a level 3 Sentret. Hey, it wouldn't let me go around with nothing in my party, I had to leave something!

A fictionalized version of this tale may appear here as well as on deviantART. I use the same username on both sites, so I should be easy to find.

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

Generation three and above won't die, so I would keep them and trade to Gen IV.

Sorry to bump an old topic, but my game has something to this day mystifies all my friends(sorry, no pictures, as this is pretty dang odd).

Upon changing boxes, I found boxes 1-4 had level 0 Primeapes in them. When trying to look at their stats, I got the message "tHe gLaSS iS rEAdY fOr PoPpiNg."

What the heck?

Sentinal of Anistar Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

My sister's version of gold suddenly got a bunch of mystery gift decorations for her room... and the game chose that moment to crash forever. We never did figure out the decorations. But Gold is now a paperweight... as is Silver and Crystal.

But fear not, for the souls and hearts of humans and pokemon alike shall jump for joy upon the release of the remakes.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Ryuu, does the game even start up? If not, it may have actually erased the cartridge itself. I've heard of it happening with Link's Awakening, though it's an extremely, extremely, extermely, rare occurance (only one person I've heard of has had it happen). Too bad GSC's battery sucks; otherwise, you'd be able to possibly get someone to extract the save data from the battery, allowing to find out just went wrong.
    Don't know what to put here.

Blog Entries

It starts up, but we can't save. I figured it was the same issue I had with Silver 6 months later.

On another, off-topic note, it's a great feeling to have forum members calling me Ryuu again. Reminds me of the time I spent on BrawlCentral.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorBob View Post
    Sorry to bump an old topic, but my game has something to this day mystifies all my friends(sorry, no pictures, as this is pretty dang odd).

Upon changing boxes, I found boxes 1-4 had level 0 Primeapes in them. When trying to look at their stats, I got the message "tHe gLaSS iS rEAdY fOr PoPpiNg."

What the heck?
    Um, what? o_O

Blog Entries

NEWS UPDATE: Silver is back in my life. I got a working copy now! Yes!

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Here is A tip For You all! I recently bought a copy of yellow and want to check it out and bent the battery teminal slightly but no to where the grip thing were off. and stopped working. Make Sure They Are connected. That may soolve you problem.

Blog Entries

Um, I doubt it. The batteries die. End of story.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast