Motherload of Pokemon G/S ALPHA information!! - Page 6

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Motherload of Pokemon G/S ALPHA information!!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Motherload of Pokemon G/S ALPHA information!!

Well... I got it, and I'm not sure if this is good or not. It's certainly worthwhile as it is LOADED with beta information and screenshots (most of which I haven't seen before on the web) from Snap, Stadium and G/S... but... it also kind of, like, doesn't have any entirely new Pokemon games mentioned from what I can tell...

Alright, the interesting things I've uncovered without a knowledge of Japanese from every page-

• Mewtwo's mouth was going to be DEMONIC, judging from this early poster shot. Freaky.
    • Pokemon Snap was ENTIRELY different. Apparently Ash was to be the protaganist if a scribble beside the screenshots is any indication. There was supposed to be a forest level chock full of Pikachu and a Meowth, as well as what looks to be a field area inhabited entirely by Squirtle.
    • Beta Stadium information. Not a lot changed from then to the final result, but there are a few cool shots of the battle entirely zoomed out while Charizard battles Blastoise, with no text overlays. Instead of the usual "Pokemon makes a motion, special effect happens across the screen" there is a funnel of fire coming straight from Charizard's mouth to Blastoise in the same shot! Pretty cool.
    • Beta Hey You Pikachu information: It looks like it originally was to come with a headset rather than a little clip-on mic, as there is a silly little anime drawing of Ash wearing one as well as a real photo of the prototype. Looks uncomfortable as hell though, with an earpiece on only one side and a thing to hold it in place on the other, not a bad change. Interesting promo art of Pikachu shocking, nothing groundbreaking. A beta microphone icon is like an old fashioned 50s radio mic, and Pikachu is standing beside one in a piece of promo art! Nintendo was having trouble making up their minds, it appears...
    • ASDFGHWHAT!? Weird Gold and Silver stuff in here. Scribble of an Ampharos wearing the itemfinder and a Slowbro in a jetpack. Profiles on Red, Oak and Blue with pictures of their anime counterparts, apparently Red's involvement wasn't a huge secret then. More scribbles, one of Ash trading with a kid with their GameBoys linked together in some sort of device that looks like a pair of goggles stuck to a brain and a picture of adoring Pokemon crowding around a walking living Pokedex. I don't think I can take these scribbles seriously. Four screenshots, some of them look like the pre-delay screnshots, some have more colors and are closer to the final product. Lapras is blue when Surfing on it. Some beta art for trainers, a Schoolboy, Kimono Girl, Fisherman and Juggler. No much has changed but in the back is a Lass who looks suspiciously exactly like the art on the other magazine in question...
    • MouseMan advertises a car, horrifying Pikachu cosplay and fairly hot Team Rocket cosplay. Lots of pointless photos. A couple of peel-out TCG cards that were already peeled. Lots of ads for merchandise. A "flying Pikachu" on balloons that IS a balloon. A set of inflatable battlers, with a goofy picture of Ash and Gary trying to slam them into each other at some weird amusement park ride.
    • Gyrados model that shoots water. I want it so bad. Apparently it's part of a few new figure lines that you get by winning at several Pokemon arcade machines, also pictures. Very cool machines, but they appear to be redemption-only with no real "goal" or gameplay.
    • Pikachu and Raichu batteries, AA. I want them also.
    • Odd drawing of everyone from the anime dress uber Japanese, Ash looks girly.
    • "Cyclone- electronic code system" announced. Some sort of Pokemon battletop game. It's the same thing as in the "Pokemon Battle Top Arena" released by Hasbro here about 10 years ago but with a machine that made the barcodes MEAN something.
    • Pocket Monsters manga is amazing as always. They eat at KFC where Colonel Sanders makes an appearance on the box which pisses off a bunch of Cubone who take over the playground!? I wish I spoke Japanese.
    • Section on the Cyclone system with comical pictures of the Pokemon playing with it. Jynx is pale white and is nothing but an outline with eyes, a mouth and breasts.
    • Some sort of Mew announcement. Looks like a giveaway of it on RBY.
    • On a page in the middle of random info, "Pokemon 64" as well as "64 Pokemon" are mentioned. Not sure what the rest of it says.
    • Purchase info for Pokemon Special. Hilariously, the Clefairy from Pocket Monsters is screaming and crying on the opposite page while staring at it.
    • In what appears to be the information for what is happening this issue, we have another out of place Stadium photo, same arena as before but now Blastoise firing water in real time at Charizard. Picture at Spaceworld of a booth with "Pocket Monsters" uh... something written on them. Looks to be GS I would imagine.
    • The pages covering GS, Stadium, Snap and Hey You Pikachu are all ripped and frayed on the edges, and something in the Gold section suggests there is something perforated to remove. Hopefully it wasn't anything importantl, it looks to be bookmarks from the context.
    • Only one hint at a "Pokemon 64 RPG"- it says "64 DD!?" and then goes into a bunch of text. I don't see "Pocket Monsters" in English or Japanese mentioned inside OR "RPG" so it's probably nothing.

That's about it. I'll work on scanning the stuff to see if I can get any further information but it doesn't look like much of this "Pokemon 64" stuff has been uncovered. SpaceWorld is covered in great depth with betas of lots of other games covered and there's no reason why a huge RPG like this was supposed to be would be left out. I'm starting to wonder if it's a hoax, but because I want it to be real I'll keep up hope until I can get this stuff translated better- it could be mentioned somewhere, but I doubt it as all four of the n64 Pokemon games covered appear to be mentioned as a "Pokemon 64" interchangeably. The article about GS is pretty cool though, and might aid in the work on the betas of those games, which is what this topic is about anyway.
    Last edited by Lysandre; 29th March 2010 at 09:00 PM.

~Love Is Hard To Define~ Midnight Blue's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is amazing, this is great stuff, thank you!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeanLuc Pika-Q View Post
    • On a page in the middle of random info, "Pokemon 64" as well as "64 Pokemon" are mentioned. Not sure what the rest of it says.

• Only one hint at a "Pokemon 64 RPG"- it says "64 DD!?" and then goes into a bunch of text. I don't see "Pocket Monsters" in English or Japanese mentioned inside OR "RPG" so it's probably nothing.
    At least one of these two could be it, couldn't it? The first one looks more promising, as according to Wikipedia, Pokémon RPG was also referred to as "Pokémon 64".

I'm starting to wonder if it's a hoax, but because I want it to be real I'll keep up hope until I can get this stuff translated better- it could be mentioned somewhere, but I doubt it as all four of the n64 Pokemon games covered appear to be mentioned as a "Pokemon 64" interchangeably.
    It had to have been real for IGN to have taken notice of it. It could be that the announcement preceded Spaceworld 1997 and never led to anything, but I'm pretty sure it was mentioned with the other games then.

The article about GS is pretty cool though, and might aid in the work on the betas of those games, which is what this topic is about anyway.
    Yes. It's a pity that there is no Pokémon artwork, though. The movie information could prove to be interesting, too.

Blog Entries

Wow, I didn't realize IGN acknowledged it! I'm not surprised though, as looking through it again in daylight and with SLEEP I found a few more instances of "Pokemon 64" I had missed before. And actually there is some Pokemon art but most of it hasn't changed over the years.

And now, the wait is over! SCANS!

First up, the very last page in the book...or is it the first!? Coro Coro is interesting in that, despite reading left to right like a manga, it appears to be in Western order in terms of content, with the Table of Contents and manga at the "back" and the news in the "front".

Gold and Silver article. This was a lot more readable before Photobucket shrunk everything.

Next up, Snap and Hey You Pikachu information. This is the page with the "64DD!?" section at the bottom.

Last page in the section, a lot of info on Stadium! The scan darkened on the edges because one of those "perforated" pages was on the other side and made the spine harder to bend for scanning.

Short feature on the movie and Doraemon.

I don't know why I find Mewtwo's face so amusing...

Back to business. This page APPEARS to be a sweepstakes for an N64, but in case I'm wrong I uploaded it anyway.

Spaceworld coverage and Mew event. Scan distorted on one side, no big loss.

POKEMON SUPER! This doesn't appear to be related but better safe than sorry and whatnot.

I THINK this is an ad for something else (?) but it mentions "Pokemon 64" several times.

The page after the table of contents in the original image I posted from the auction. "64 Pokemon" is mentioned.

This scan came out horribly but Pokemon 64 is mentioned A LOT here. If it looks like the rest of it is worthwhile I'll try to center it better in a new scan.

PHEW... my scanning finger is tired XD All of the embedded images have been highly compressed by PhotoBucket and are for preview only, you can download a ZIP of all of the files at full 300dpi at http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZPV15WUW. In addition, if there is anything on here that is of interest (or just cool looking) that you would like a higher quality or better-made scan of, I can make any of the pictures above again at 600-1200dpi, per request. I can also scan any of the products, advertisements or pages mentioned in the list in my previous post at any dpi you would like, I only skipped the unimportant ones for the essence of time as I said I would post this yesterday but ended up being out of town all day then.

Blog Entries

Thanks for that; it must have been incredibly tedious and few people would have gone to the same trouble.

Unfortunately, I think that Red and Green are just mentioned to contrast them with the then-new characters, and the scribble about Ampharos and Slowking might just be a way of saying that Pokémon would be able to hold items. Likewise, the Lass artwork is already on celebi23's web site and is not the same as that of the girl spotted earlier in 1997. I also recall seeing the Mewtwo artwork somewhere.

I'll have a friend translate the pages with Pokémon 64 mentions (as well as the Gold and Silver page), but I'm inclined to agree with you that they are not about the RPG game, but rather a concise description for Stadium, Snap and Hey You Pikachu!. I suppose that celebi23 and I were wrong: Pokémon RPG was announced even before Spaceworld 1997, and it would appear that no official source has mentioned it since then. I really would have liked confirmation that Game Freak themselves were developing the game, and that its concept had something to do with what was seen years later in Colosseum.

Who on earth thought that Hey You Pikachu!, which actually wasn't a simple game to develop, was a better idea than a console RPG? That goes for what recently happened with the Wii games, too. It's also odd how Gold and Silver were supposedly three months away from the publication of this magazine, and yet the only Pokémon coverage was about Ho-Oh, Ampharos, Donphan and Slowking. Furthermore, didn't they at least consider implementing new Pokémon in the N64 games, which were meant to be released after Gold and Silver? I know that Stadium would have had a 64DD expansion specifically for that if it had been a 64DD cartridge, but the stalling would have been a little odd.

Edit: Yaminokame motivated me to extend my Google search for the game, and I've just found a hidden gem. It's from June 1997, but despite the length of the article it doesn't really reveal important details about what the game would have been like. At least we know for sure that the game was being developed by Game Freak, and that the news had generated excitement before Spaceworld 1997 took the 64DD in a different direction.
    Last edited by Silktree; 14th July 2010 at 08:21 PM.

Blog Entries

Well that's good to see, the game existed at one point! And yeah, I noticed the Lass mistake once I started scanning but forgot to go back and edit.

I'm with you on Hey You Pikachu, it seems like an odd move to take for an international release. So much voice acting, new voice recognition technology (which had to be entirely remade for each region!), high level graphics and a system that only accepts the talking of children or falsetto... it does seem like an odd choice, to pump all that effort into a pet simulator.

There's a guy on YaJ that puts a new issue of ゲームサイド (the mystery magazine) up for auction every couple of days, I've been keeping an eye on that for the issue in question but no luck thus far, which is good as I'm still broke from the CoroCoro, heheh. Have you heard from celebi23 since his announcement that he was emailing the dude in Japan? I'd like to get his take on recent developments and an update on his findings...

Blog Entries

Celebi23 is traveling through time. I hear that he has been collecting bugs with the ten years old Satoshi Tajiri these days.

moa

the pic where pikachu is being attacked by porygon, is like "ITS YOUR FAULT, NOT MINE!!!!" lololol
    and theres a lot of pic of the crazy clefary manga in several pages!

๑๑-•¨°º¤ø„º°¨ ¸„ø¤º°¨°º¤ø„¸¨°º¤ø„ ๑๑-• ๑๑-•ø¤º „¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø ¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º- ๑๑-
    ________________________ ___________________________

That's interesting.

Blog Entries

Anyone care to join me in taking over a radio station? We must find our leader, celebi23!

Platinum: 1634-0556-3616

SoulSilver: 4641-1635-4301

Brock: I didn't know Vikings still existed.
    Ash Ketchum: They mostly live in Minnesota.[/center]
    Quote Originally Posted by Martonimos View Post
    The way to a woman's heart is through her Ampharos.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMissingno. View Post
    But if I do a lot of drugs, doesn't that make me a higher being?

Blog Entries

I was on the site in the third post of this topic and..You were supposed to have a brother?

Was that an error? It seems like it. Where did they get the idea that Ethan carries around a laptop or lives in the city?

Anyway, were there ever sprites of the original Pokemon (Kurusu, etc)? Did anyone take pictures of them?

Anyone know what the Beta for Snap was? That looks different from a video I've seen on Youtube.
    Last edited by Somari; 24th April 2010 at 07:16 PM.

Blog Entries

Just wow! Never seen Gold and Silver look so nostalgic. My eyes got flashing stars in it by looking at those.

moa

look look there it is the mysterious magazine cover, dont understand nothing of nothing, anyone knows Japanese

http://ameblo.jp/trio-the-punch/entry-10332216419.html

๑๑-•¨°º¤ø„º°¨ ¸„ø¤º°¨°º¤ø„¸¨°º¤ø„ ๑๑-• ๑๑-•ø¤º „¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø ¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º- ๑๑-
    ________________________ ___________________________

Blog Entries

Dude like I said on SonicRetro, nice find! It'd be awesome to find the beta version, so it can be dumped. It'd be pretty cool to play the beta. :D It'd would have been awesome if we got a Skateboard instead of a bike in G/S/C though. Who knows, maybe they'll give us one in B/W.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast