Motherload of Pokemon G/S ALPHA information!! - Page 4

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Motherload of Pokemon G/S ALPHA information!!

~Love Is Hard To Define~ Midnight Blue's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Motherload of Pokemon G/S ALPHA information!!

yes those are it.
    seems like they are from feb of 98, which was a while away from September. it's kinda weird we knew about G/S in the us and the uk before R/B was even released here and in the uk.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    yes those are it.
    seems like they are from feb of 98, which was a while away from September. it's kinda weird we knew about G/S in the us and the uk before R/B was even released here and in the uk.
    Yeah, it looks like those are from right before the games were delayed. I remember reading a magazine, similar to this, around that time period. It mentioned the skateboard, pretty sure it had more "final" artwork for the lost starters, and it also mentioned the younger brother of the hero. If only I bought that magazine

Blog Entries
    Follow Soulweaver On Twitter Add Soulweaver on Facebook Add Soulweaver on Google+
    Follow Soulweaver on Tumblr Visit Soulweaver's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Blazaking EX View Post
    The one the red-roofed mart? I would like to learn more about RS beta aswell.
    I did totally forget about that pic. The one I had in mind was an image of a beta battle screen; I believe it was from IGN.

Quote Originally Posted by Unown Lord View Post
    Forget about RS beta - it was never covered by any official source. Only beta players might be of help in shedding some light, but it's like finding a needle in a haystack. Besides, Gold and Silver turned out so different because they were delayed, which is more than can be said for Ruby and Sapphire or Diamond and Pearl.
    That might sadly be true. Won't stop me believing, though :p

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Unreleased_Pok%C3%A9mon_and_characters

I added the info to the Pedia.

You might want to check out two other tidbits I found.

Torchic with ears, and Combusken/Latias.
    Wow, the "Latiken" looks very cool :p

Former staff member · X Pokédex status (incl. foreign dexes) · Bank Living Dex status · 3DS FC: 4699 6589 8963

Blog Entries

I'm surprised that there was a front design of Blue published in a magazine and this is the first time I'm seeing it. She is not too similar to Leaf, but the facial features are more similar than with the two Red designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Luc Pikachu
    EDIT: found a backlog of old CoroCoros from 1997/1998, looking for Pokemon RPG info within. If I get a match I'll order.
    Please do. I'm sure that there is something there.

Quote Originally Posted by celebi23 View Post
    It's more than a few designs. It looks like most town maps + some gameplay elements and a decent amount of Pokémon were lost during the March 1998- November 1999 delay
    I was actually referring to the beta versions of Ruby and Sapphire, since as far as we can tell only a few of the Pokémon were changed. Even compared to the beta versions Gold and Silver, I think that Pokémon RPG is more interesting since Game Freak has never released a 3D Pokémon game, and the possibility of their going underway with one is extremely interesting.

Load of Belloni
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    [url]
    Torchic with ears, and Combusken/Latias.
    I've always found that Torchic design kind of interesting, if only because the whole 'wing/ear' thing carried over to Blaziken regardless. Kind of makes me wonder why they didn't also give Blaziken the fire shaped crest later in the design process, just to follow suit.

Have you also seen the Treeko concept art too? It's all just preliminary sketches, but it's head shape is less exagerated and bears more resemblence to a real-world Gecko.

See, stuff like this is why I'm clamouring for an official art book.

Blog Entries
    Follow Takoto On Twitter
    Follow Takoto on Tumblr

Celebi23, I take it that you've never heard of Game Freak's attempt to develop a N64 RPG game?
    Sorry for jumping in here, but maybe it was an early attempt at something like Pokémon Coliseum?

Also Blazeken/Latias looks badass.

I wish they'd release an official artbook with concept sketches of some of the Pokémon... it's interesting to see what they could have looked like...
    Last edited by Takoto; 15th February 2010 at 09:26 AM.

~Giovanni Fan|★|Silver Fan~
    ★ An Illustration student from the UK; with a particular love of black tea, cats, deer, jellyfish, octopus, moths and the colour purple ★
    ♥ Umbreon, Gardevoir, Drifloon, Joltik, Gengar, Malamar ♥ Mewtwo, Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Darkrai, Xerneas ♥
    ~ DeviantArtTwitterTumblr ~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Takoto View Post
    Sorry for jumping in here, but maybe it was an early attempt at something like Pokémon Coliseum?
    Presumably. Genius Sonority might have even borrowed a few of Game Freak's scrapped ideas.

I don't have any concrete details, but I remember reading that Pokémon RPG and Pokémon Stadium were announced for the Nintendo 64DD at the Spaceworld 1997 event. I'm almost convinced that the announcement also said that the RPG game was being developed by Game Freak. At any rate, the Nintendo 64DD ended up being delayed and was a commercial failure, so Stadium was released as a normal N64 cartridge and the RPG game was canceled. Had it been released as planned, it would have had online features.

Blog Entries
    Follow Takoto On Twitter
    Follow Takoto on Tumblr

Presumably. Genius Sonority might have even borrowed a few of Game Freak's scrapped ideas.

I don't have any concrete details, but I remember reading that Pokémon RPG and Pokémon Stadium were announced for the Nintendo 64DD at the Spaceworld 1997 event. I'm almost convinced that the announcement also said that the RPG game was being developed by Game Freak. At any rate, the Nintendo 64DD ended up being delayed and was a commercial failure, so Stadium was released as a normal N64 cartridge and the RPG game was canceled. Had it been released as planned, it would have had online features.
    I'm sure there are some details of the Pokémon N64 RPG still around. A little routing around on the internet might bring up one or two details... but then again, I haven't heard about it 'til now... So details could be hard to find... I'd look, but I don't know where to start.

~Giovanni Fan|★|Silver Fan~
    ★ An Illustration student from the UK; with a particular love of black tea, cats, deer, jellyfish, octopus, moths and the colour purple ★
    ♥ Umbreon, Gardevoir, Drifloon, Joltik, Gengar, Malamar ♥ Mewtwo, Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Darkrai, Xerneas ♥
    ~ DeviantArtTwitterTumblr ~

Wait, I do have some information about that N64 Pokémon RPG announced @ Spaceworld 1997. It's on an external HD (had to backup my Macbook Pro's HD before sending it in for repairs). Will need to wait until tomorrow to access a computer with FireWire 800 (typing this on my old iBook G4 933Mhz 256MB RAM w/out FW800), kinda lost my FireWire 400 cable Should be able to boot my family's newish 24-inch iMac from my laptop's HD backup

Blog Entries

I had a feeling that you might have information regarding the Spaceworld announcement. I hope that something significant was revealed there.

Got some updates (too much to post in a reply so, I'm only posting the links):

* Added some information from Yamauchi's Spaceworld Keynote
    *Added some pieces of Sugimori artwork to the Combined Demo Summary
    *Put together an analysis of a video clip from Spaceworld 1997
    (Thanks to Miretank from the Unseen 64 Forum)
    *Confirmed the Gold title screen from the Spaceworld 1997 Demo
    *Added the scans from the July 1997 issue of Computer & Videogames Magazine
    Last edited by celebi23; 16th February 2010 at 07:14 PM.

~Love Is Hard To Define~ Midnight Blue's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good job celebi23! this must have taken you a lot. So thank you for all this info.

Blog Entries

Very, very nice work!

I was able to find several issues of Micro Game magazine, but none of them were the one with the beta art on the front (and presumably more within). New listings keep popping up so I'll keep an eye out, and I've got about a hundred bucks to go towards it... meaning with shipping and middleman I can go up to 60 USD or 5300 yen on it. Unless it is a hot collectors item there (and I got the last magazine for 4 bucks and shipping, a much rarer magazine at that), I should be able to grab one when it comes up. As soon as I do I will scan and send over the info to you. Keep it up! =)

Not directly related, but it's quite interesting how Celebi was on GameFreak's site ever since at least October of 1997. Check here: http://web.archive.org/web/19971016214428/http://www.gamefreak.co.jp/

Also, I think there might be some quite of valuable information in the web archives of GameFreak, as well as some never before seen artworks, unfortunately in no better quality than thumbnails, as far as I've seen.

Check back here: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.gamefreak.co.jp

Edit:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20050228101406/www.gamefreak.co.jp/POKEMON/GALLERY/DTP/CELE1024.GIF
    It is possible that the image to the PokePark feature is of a picture that was (I suppose) later added in the gallery.
    Of course I can't be 100% sure.
    Last edited by Ash_Pokemaster; 17th February 2010 at 05:27 PM.

A couple of updates. First off, I know that my website is acting up. It's just not displaying the html pages in Safari. If you view the source of the pages, everything is still there. I just republished the entire site & that didn't fix it >_< I'm going to call Apple's MobileMe support on Monday

Second, some of the earliest Pokémon Gold/Silver artwork came from this magazine cover

http://web.me.com/celebi23/Spaceworld_97_Pokemon/Game_Review_Volume_14_files/game14.gif

No scans from the magazine itself exist. That might change soon. I did a search on Google & came up with

http://ameblo.jp/trio-the-punch/entry-10332216419.html
    http://ameblo.jp/trio-the-punch/image-10332216419-10243930367.html

It looks like the guy has a whole collection of these magazines. I sent him a message (yay Google Translate >_< ) asking if he actually has that issue & if he could scan it & then email me the scans. Will keep you guys updated
    Last edited by celebi23; 27th February 2010 at 09:05 AM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast