Motherload of Pokemon G/S ALPHA information!! - Page 3

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Motherload of Pokemon G/S ALPHA information!!

Blazaking's Avatar Staff ArtistModerator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Blazaking On Twitter Add Blazaking on Google+
    Follow Blazaking on Tumblr Visit Blazaking's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Motherload of Pokemon G/S ALPHA information!!

I love learning about beta stuff. Which is why I really appreciate what you are doing here.

This stuff is very interesting, thanks for looking them up :p Now only if someone found anything regarding the RS*beta... (this far, I've only seen one image of it).
    The one the red-roofed mart? I would like to learn more about RS beta aswell.

Blog Entries

Forget about RS beta - it was never covered by any official source. Only beta players might be of help in shedding some light, but it's like finding a needle in a haystack. Besides, Gold and Silver turned out so different because they were delayed, which is more than can be said for Ruby and Sapphire or Diamond and Pearl.

The Nintendo 64 Pokémon RPG game is the real engima, and there's a chance that CoroCoro did cover it back in late 1997 and early 1998.

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, we do know that apparently Shellos and possibly Gastrodon were planned to be in RS, according to that one Nintendo Power interview. Which makes you wonder how the regional difference would be applied there since Hoenn doesn't have any noticeable point of separation like the Coronet Mountain range in Sinnoh. Unless the West-Tech and East-Nature division would have had something to do with it.

I'm sure there were scraped ideas for RS, but I don't think that means we'll ever see them unless Gamefreak decides to let us. I know Capcom for example releases Secret Files for some of their games with scrapped characters (like Phoenix Wright in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Little Girl Abel for SFIV), so maybe Gamefreak one day will release some old designs they never used? Of course, like Shellos and Gastrodon, maybe they're saving them for later since some designs may not be possible on the tech they're working with.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinx3000 View Post
    Wondering why Pokemon is spelled "Pockemon?" Also, whats the pokemon on the screen beside the metapod? Snubull?
    That metapod screenshot, the one next to it (with Geodude's back) & the bottom 4 screenshots are all from Pokémon Yellow. Not sure why they were included in the G/S article. I think "Pockemon" was an early version the US Pokémon name.

Blog Entries

Celebi23, I take it that you've never heard of Game Freak's attempt to develop a N64 RPG game? That's a pity, seeing as whatever it was to supposed to be, it must have been very different from the handheld games. That is easily more interesting than a few designs that got lost in translation.
    Last edited by Silktree; 14th February 2010 at 02:32 PM.

Blog Entries

Actually, I've never heard of that either. Good read.

Also, if anyone can give me the direct (in Japanese characters) name of the magazine who's cover image gives so much insight into the beta designs, I could try obtaining one. I've imported several ancient rare Japanese magazines before and I'm sure that if it was actually released, I can get a hold of one for scanning/info purposes.

EDIT: found a backlog of old CoroCoros from 1997/1998, looking for Pokemon RPG info within. If I get a match I'll order.

~Love Is Hard To Define~ Midnight Blue's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is very interesting. I wonder who translated the english pages? b/c they refer the pokedex as a laptop etc.

Non-registered User

Holy crap / oh my God / O_o / etc.

I just browsed through that site and all of your info, celebi23, and... oh my God that's awesome stuff. I want to play that beta, but... it's probably long lost. I wonder what the original game was like? Granted, G/S/C is my favorite gen, but... there are a few things that look like they could have been done better. Oak was missing...

I wish that I could go back in time and play that. Many thanks for sharing!

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Unreleased_Pok%C3%A9mon_and_characters

I added the info to the Pedia.

You might want to check out two other tidbits I found.

Torchic with ears, and Combusken/Latias.
    Up the airy mountains / Down the rushy Glen /
    We dare not go a-hunting / For fear of Fairy-type Pokémon

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That Latias/Blaziken fusion Pokemon is quite disturbing. It's like they ripped it into two different pokemon.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by celebi23 View Post
    That metapod screenshot, the one next to it (with Geodude's back) & the bottom 4 screenshots are all from Pokémon Yellow. Not sure why they were included in the G/S article. I think "Pockemon" was an early version the US Pokémon name.
    Pockemon was an early "official" romanization, sort of like クラブ "KURABU" is officially "Crab", Krabby. Notice how it's Pocket Monsters. ポケットモンスター, ポケモン. The Pockemon romanization can be seen in EP025, even in the dub. And keep in mind, EP025 was produced in about April of 1997, airing in mid-October.

You know, here's the unfortunate part. Nintendo likely has all of the carts that had the GS alpha on it, and probably blanked them or destroyed them already. I hate to say this, but I almost wish we had a similar situation to what happened with Sonic 2, where someone apparently jacked a beta cart from some demo thing, then dumped their discoveries online. Unlike Sega, though, Nintendo doesn't screw around. Plus it was like five years apart, so they had better security, I bet.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scott85 View Post
    That Latias/Blaziken fusion Pokemon is quite disturbing. It's like they ripped it into two different pokemon.
    i wonder if they were considering fusion Pokémon.

Sorry guys, internet has been out for most of the afternoon Anyhoo, et's see if I can catch up here a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Unown Lord View Post
    Celebi23, I take it that you've never heard of Game Freak's attempt to develop a N64 RPG game? That's a pity, seeing as whatever it was to supposed to be, it must have been very different from the handheld games. That is easily more interesting than a few designs that got lost in translation.
    It's more than a few designs. It looks like most town maps + some gameplay elements and a decent amount of Pokémon were lost during the March 1998- November 1999 delay

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Luc Pikachu View Post
    Actually, I've never heard of that either. Good read.

Also, if anyone can give me the direct (in Japanese characters) name of the magazine who's cover image gives so much insight into the beta designs, I could try obtaining one. I've imported several ancient rare Japanese magazines before and I'm sure that if it was actually released, I can get a hold of one for scanning/info purposes.

EDIT: found a backlog of old CoroCoros from 1997/1998, looking for Pokemon RPG info within. If I get a match I'll order.
    Do you mean http://web.me.com/celebi23/Spaceworld_97_Pokemon/Game_Review_Volume_14.html ? Check http://web.archive.org/web/20010428215111/http://www.microgroup.co.jp/game/backnumber/game14.html
    (Can't copy the Japanese title of the magazine, on a computer without a Japanese Language set)

If you can find any more G/S information (from 1997/early 1998) that'd be fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    This is very interesting. I wonder who translated the english pages? b/c they refer the pokedex as a laptop etc.
    Which page are you referring to? If it's one of my pages on my site, I used 3 automatic translation sites: Google Translate, Yahoo BabbleFish & Excite Translate

Quote Originally Posted by Andyman View Post
    Holy crap / oh my God / O_o / etc.

I just browsed through that site and all of your info, celebi23, and... oh my God that's awesome stuff. I want to play that beta, but... it's probably long lost. I wonder what the original game was like? Granted, G/S/C is my favorite gen, but... there are a few things that look like they could have been done better. Oak was missing...

I wish that I could go back in time and play that. Many thanks for sharing!
    Yeah, GSC is my favorite Gen as well. All of the HG/SS hype got me interested in continuing this project. If only I could go back in time to Spaceworld 1997

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Unreleased_Pok%C3%A9mon_and_characters

I added the info to the Pedia.

You might want to check out two other tidbits I found.

Torchic with ears, and Combusken/Latias.
    Ah, thanks. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I saw those 2 designs on Flickr a few years back. Pretty bizzare

Quote Originally Posted by Scott85 View Post
    Yep. I'm guessing it was an early design before they had the starters/legendary Pokémon designed

Quote Originally Posted by TTEchidna View Post
    Pockemon was an early "official" romanization, sort of like クラブ "KURABU" is officially "Crab", Krabby. Notice how it's Pocket Monsters. ポケットモンスター, ポケモン. The Pockemon romanization can be seen in EP025, even in the dub. And keep in mind, EP025 was produced in about April of 1997, airing in mid-October.

You know, here's the unfortunate part. Nintendo likely has all of the carts that had the GS alpha on it, and probably blanked them or destroyed them already. I hate to say this, but I almost wish we had a similar situation to what happened with Sonic 2, where someone apparently jacked a beta cart from some demo thing, then dumped their discoveries online. Unlike Sega, though, Nintendo doesn't screw around. Plus it was like five years apart, so they had better security, I bet.
    Thanks for the information about the early romanization of Pocket Monsters. Yeah, it sucks but, I've had the same feeling since starting this project. IF any carts do exist, from the Spaceworld 1997 demo, they're probably at Game Freak in some storage room :bawling:

i wonder if they were considering fusion Pokémon.
    I was thinking the same thing. Imagine a Charizard/Typhlosion/Combusken/Infernape fusion

Blog Entries

@ celebi23
    It was the magazine articles. They refer the PokéDex as a laptop, and some other things like the hero is from the city and has a 3 year old brother.

oh if no one has already done it, I claim the blaziken/latias Pokémon. lol

@ celebi23
    It was the magazine articles. They refer the PokéDex as a laptop, and some other things like the hero is from the city and has a 3 year old brother.

oh if no one has already done it, I claim the blaziken/latias Pokémon. lol
    Ah, you mean

http://web.me.com/celebi23/Spaceworld_97_Pokemon/Computer_%26_Videogames_Magazine.html

http://idisk.me.com/celebi23/Public/PKMN/1998%2002%20-%20Computer%20and%20Videogames.png

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast