Most Difficult Gym Leader in each generation? - Page 28
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast

Thread: Most Difficult Gym Leader in each generation?

Default Re: Most Difficult Gym Leader in each generation?

my most difficult gym was out of all of the games is nacrene city in B/W. she just carryed on using retalliate and she cept on killing me

Gen 1: Misty and Sabrina, both had overpowered pokemon at their respective points in the game and Psychics were OP in this gen
    Gen 2: Morty and Clair
    Gen 3: Gym leaders were too easy
    Gen 4: Fantina and Candice (since I chose turtwig as a starter)
    Gen 5: Lenora

Gen 1: Misty
    Gen 2: Whitney
    Gen 3: Tate and Liza
    Gen 4: Fantina
    Gen 5: Lenora in BW, Drayden in B2W2

Kanto: Probably Sabrina.
    Johto: Pryce, I guess. I have constant weakness to ice types
    Hoenn: Wattson. It took me ages to realize that Magnemite line has not Levitate, thus I can use ground attack on them.
    Sinnoh: Candice.
    Unova: I don´t think I have any major difficulties there. Or maybe Lenora was quite annoying.

If I make some stupid grammar mistake, I´m terribly sorry and feel free to correct me.

Forever Lacking Rhythm Konoko Hasano's Avatar

Gen I: Most likely Sabrina because... well... Psychics in Gen I.
    Gen II; Most likely Clair because of that Kingdra
    Gen III: Don't think I had all that many problems.
    Gen IV: Again, no real problems
    Gen V: Elesa. Not because of those Emolga, but because of that darned Zebstrika. After Elesa, it was pretty much just smooth sailing from there.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomness View Post
    In RBY, I must admit that the Gym Leader I had the most trouble with was ironically, Misty. Her Starmie sure packed a punch, and Pidgeotto wasn't fast enough to kill it, the wimpy Pikachu I caught in Viridian inflicted little damage, and alas, my poor Charmander was out in one hit! Even playing the Games with Bulbasaur as a starter was difficult. Vine Whip didn't hit hard enough, and I didn't always get Razor Leaf in time (leveling up takes time, and I'm impatient...). I've heard however, that using Wartortle is very useful.
    Gen 1:Idk, maybe sabrina
    Gen 2:WHITNEY!
    Gen 3:Tate and liza
    Gen 4:Gardenia (I guess)
    Gen 5:Tie On Marlon And Burgh

In GenI I personally had the most trouble with Koga. His cursed poisons and self destructs seemed to get the best of me every time. Misty was troublesome, but I preferred bulbasaur to the other starts (His was the only line of cool grass pokemon in RBY/FR/LG imo, fire and water had plenty of cool alternatives to the starts.. magmar, vulpix/ninetails, growlithe. Water had lapras, gyarados etc), so I would always train my bulbasaur and pikachu from viridian forest a LOT before even beginning to take misty on .. That Starmie sure did pack a punch, and to top it off it's defense was insanely high. But given enough potions and training prior to taking her on, having 2 pokemon that were effective vs water made things easier. But koga, no matter what, it always took me 3 or 4 tries to best him. Having pokemon with high atk/spatk didnt help when he would use abilities like minimize and smokescreen (iirc) to make his own harder to hit.. meanwhile I'm swinging and missing and taking huge amounts of poison damage each turn. I'm getting frustrated just thinking about it!

Oddly enough I always struggled with opening the doors to Lt. Surge, am I the only one ?
    My Minecraft IP: 72.160.150.223
    STEAM ID: Duke of New York A#1
    My Friend Codes: White 2- 1163 9265 6712

I: Sabrina and Misty
    II: You already know :P
    III: Tate & Liza
    IV: Fantina
    V: Clay in BW2, Lenora in BW

Gen 1: Sabrina
    Gen 2: Whitney and her evil Miltank
    Gen 4: Fantina

Gen 1: Tie between Misty and Sabrina
    - (Psychics were OP in this gen) and Misty had a dual type with water and Psychic, which was a huge threat in the early game
    Gen 2: Whitney
    - Miltank is a huge threat in the early game
    Gen 3: Wallace
    - Great team synergy with his water-types as well as great type-coverage with moves like Earthquake on his Whiscash
    Gen 4: Fantina (Diamond and Pearl only)
    - That Gengar and Mismagius, 'nuff said
    - That annoying Watchog with hypnosis

Master of Ghosts......... Gengarzilla's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Gengarzilla on Tumblr Visit Gengarzilla's Youtube Channel

Gen 1: Sabrina
    - Two words: Psychic types.
    Gen 2: Clair
    - Yes, I didn't struggle against Whitney. Clair's Kingdra is the true ruler of Johto's gyms, not that cow.
    - Not only was it a Double Battle, but I swear that they've got higher AI than most Leaders.
    Gen 4: Candice
    - To be perfectly honest, she wasn't that hard. Getting to both Snowpoint City and later to her was a real pain though.
    Gen 5: None of them
    - I swear Game Freak ran out of ideas here. All of them were pathetic.

Hypnodance FTW!

Blog Entries

I: Brock; you try fighting him with a Charmander before Metal Claw existed.

II: Whitney

III: Tate and Liza(Emerald) and Norman (Emerald); that double battle was just impossible! And Norman may not have had two Slaking anymore, but all the confusion and crit hax were worse.

IV: Roark; again, fire-type for the first gym =/= fun.

V: Elesa(BW) and Marlon(BW2); those damn Emolga. As for Marlon, I just didn't have any super-effective moves. Ironically, the only leader I ever lost to was Cheren.

Most of my problems just come from having badly suited Pokemon (things that I like, as opposed to the better options) and poor type coverage. I went through BW2 without any way to defeat water types and a lot of weakness to fighting, but more than enough power again fire and rock.

Blog Entries

Gen I. Never played though the entire game.
    Gen II. Whitney. Nuff said.
    Gen III. Tate/Liza that Earthquake+ Xatu killed most of my team each time. Koga. My first team didn't have that many ways to combat poison types. His minimizing high defence Muk didn't make it any easier.
    Gen IV. Roark. I think it took me over ten times to beat him. Though I guess a rock smashing Chimchar and Geodude plus non effective move holding Shinx isn't really the best match up for him. Falkner. I only won because I had the event Pichu on hand.
    Gen V. Elesa (BW) got on my nerves; she was the only leader I had a problem with. My memory is foggy, but I think Clay might have held this position in BW2. That Bulldoze + High attack Excadrill was tough.

1. Misty (She was annoying x.x)
    2. Whitney (DAMN MILTANK)
    3. Brawly (Goddamn him)
    4. Crasher Wake (His Floatzel was horror.)
    5. Clay (Stupid Excadrill...)
    Last edited by ToppoNeko; 31st March 2013 at 07:53 AM.
    Official PMD addict.
    :D

The Benevolent Cynic Daemon Aki's Avatar

Kanto: Misty by far.
    - I always chose Squirtle, so I never had starter advantage and Pikachu was often not levelled enough (come on, we just had a Rock/Ground Gym followed by Mt. Moon full of Hikers with the same and then Route 25 had several Hikers too!). Starmie was OP in Gen I too since it was Water/Psychic, arguably the best type combo that Gen.

Johto: Clair though I had little problem with this Gen.
    - Again, I chose Totodile resulting in neutral against 2 of her Pokemon and they weren't the 2 you wanted to be neutral to...Kingdra destroyed me the first time I faced him. Honestly, I didn't have any trouble with Whitney in GSC, though the remakes made her harder I think. Probably because abilities weren't there in Gen II so I could Haunter through her gym.

Hoenn: Wallace/Juan
    - I picked Mudkip (sense a theme?). Easiest Gen of gym leaders for a starter ever. I never had any trouble at any point and Wallace/Juan only gets here because they resisted one of Swampert's primary types.

Sinnoh: Volkner (DP), Gardenia (Platinum)
    - For DP, Volkner had a diverse team. Unless you read a walkthrough/got told, you wouldn't know he had an Ambipom and Octillery instead of more Electric types. First time around, I didn't bring an Electric type (why would I?) and I never train Grass types...so Octillery one-shotted my Golem...and it went downhill from there when Luxray came out and I was down to 2...As for Platinum, it has to be Gardenia. 2 fully evolved Pokes by the 2nd gym? Ouch. Roserade isn't exactly soft on the offensive either and it didn't help Staravia got poisoned at low health...>_>

Unova: Cilan (BW), Drayden (BW2)
    - Strange, isn't it? Lenora was hardly difficult for me (Roggenrola tanked that Retaliate) and the rest of the game was a breeze. The 1st gym was the only legitimate threat to me since I was put at an intentional disadvantage. Since I picked Oshawott, I had the cruddy Pansear as my monkey...with Incinerate...not Ember...who's idea was this?! And Drayden...well, he certainly seems tougher in the 2nd iteration. I don't remember much of the battle, but I do recall it was the only battle where I had to use a revive and 2 hyper potions.

Such a photogenic face...

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast