Is May a flat character to you?

Thread: Is May a flat character to you?

Blog Entries

Default Is May a flat character to you?

The adaptations flesh her out differently. In the games, she's pretty.. Generic.

I usually play as May, as I see her as the canon Hoenn protagonist and because I prefer Brendan in his NPC role. I've played as Brendan a few times, and May comes off as weird.

Brendan has character development. He goes from being a cocky kid to learning his place.
    He has a personality, and is rather Type B tsundere at that.
    He has more goals, he wishes to be a gym leader.
    I'm pretty sure he has a line that she doesn't; the Rayquaza one in Emerald.

The first time you meet him is a character defining moment. He comes off as arrogant and a bit judgmental. For quite a few meetings afterwards, he seems to think of you as being lower then him in terms of skill.

May.. May is just generically sweet. She's nervous and embarrassed towards you at first, but a few lines later and that fades. She lacks any serious character development. She just asks as the Team Mom, worrying about you for no real reason.

DP had Dawn, while not being as fleshed out as Lucas, with more of a personality then May did.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is May a flat character to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Somari View Post
    DP had Dawn, while not being as fleshed out as Lucas, with more of a personality then May did.
    I beg to differ. I found Diamond/Pearl Dawn to be exceedingly dull and bland. Like passive nice, if any... way worse than May's overall cheerfulness and kindness. It wasn't until Platinum that Dawn got much, much better. Making her more outspoken and adding amusing interactions with Looker helped her greatly.

That said, I fail to see the problem with May's character. She might not be as fleshed out as Brendan, but perhaps she wasn't intended to be. It's not like they ever made a breath-taking effort with the opposite gender counterparts in any game where they were featured. Brendan was the best, and that's probably because he was also a Rival. The 4th Gen counterparts... were worse than even May. Yes, I know that's a matter of opinion, but that's what I think.

It speaks a lot when Hilbert/Hilda were "downgraded" to your Battle Subway Multi Battle partner. Beyond the fact they would've been out of focus due to Bianca and Cheren, I wouldn't be surprised GameFreak realized they just can't do anything interesting with the opposite gender character. When I find this change way more interesting than anything Lucas/Dawn and Ethan/Lyra ever did, it goes to show.

So yeah. May might be a flat character, but she serves her purpose, and is way more entertaining than DP Lucas/Dawn and Ethan/Lyra. I'll agree she's not as developed as Brendan, but I don't see how that's a bad thing. Ultimately, it's all a matter of opinion...
    lol I got bored.

Blog Entries

Yeah, it really does seem like RSE were made with May as the canon protagonist in mind. Brendan has a lot more character than her, although I wish they had done more with him, remaining your rival throughout the whole game rather than dropping out of the race entirely.

I only ever played DPP as Dawn, so I can only say that Lucas is bland as hell.

And HGSS were definitely made with Ethan as the canon protag in mind. Playing as Lyra can get...weird sometimes. It's like, Ethan is so hyper and it's really out of place.

Insert old joke about May not being "flat"...

But anyway, no, I never thought she was a flat character. D8 She always seemed to grow into a more determined rival every time I played Emerald. She, too, says she wishes she saw Rayquaza with you, not just Brendan. Really, it's not as bad as what happened to Hilbert and Hilda, or even the FRLG heroine. D8 I mean, she and Kris don't even exist anymore.

I really dislike it when a character is "flat" just because they're not outspoken, or rude, or tsundere, or whatever. How dare a character be shy, quiet, and/or passive. ._.
    Signature is a WIP for the moment.
    For now, I have claimed: Mewtwo, Member's Card, Wide Lens, Honey Gather, and Psystrike.

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

I always play as May too. NPC Brendan is a much more interesting character, the way he assumes that the GYm Leader's kid must be a guy and then later when he wishes you were there with him when he saw Rayquaza. I also believe that the line about wanting to the gym leader of a gym potentially built in Slateport was exclusive to him.

Something for nothing Cyber Jet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In R/S she has the personalty of sandpaper pretty much.

In Emarald she has a slightly more intrestesing in terms of personalty.

Honestly I thought the Hoenn rivalry was awful with the way your rival dropped out of the race and all, but I agree i've played as both Brendan and May and May's character is pretty flat.

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best". -Karen

"For every pokemon there is a purpose and a time when it can shine under the sun." -Blue1225

Blog Entries

Follow hurristat on Tumblr

Yeah, there's really not much depth to her character. Then again, it's a children's video game. What do you expect?

Blog Entries

Follow Owain on Tumblr

i have to agree with FairyRed, i don't see why her Kindness and a bit Shyness aren't her character traits.

but i have to agree that Brendan was more fleshed out in the end.