GEN IV: Making heart gold more interesting

Thread: Making heart gold more interesting

Default Making heart gold more interesting

I am replaying heart gold and I thought that instead of using the traditional starter choice that I would trade over a dratini and make him my "starter".

Has anyone done something like this? How early can I trade him over?

Follow bubbie on Tumblr

Default Re: Making heart gold more interesting

i remember reading this: Dratini Case Study which this guy did a case study using dratini as his starter so that would be the best place to look for tips, though if i remember correctly he had a hard time with it.

Video Games Modegator GatoRage's Avatar Moderator
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Follow GatoRage on Tumblr

You can trade over a Pokemon as soon as you have at least 2 Pokémon (so basically right after you've received some Poké Balls). Or if you have to do it with a friend, then you can trade after you've got your first Badge and the Pal Pad.

I haven't done this but I did something kinda similar. I'm pretty good at Voltorb Flip so I when I reached Goldenrod I spent a couple or hours doing that until I had enough coins for a Dratini and used that in my team. It was alright. Dragon Rage was pretty awesome for a while that early in the game.

By the way, if you're looking for another way to make the game a bit more interesting then you can also do mono-type runs, meaning that you only use a team of the same type. I do that sometimes when I'm a bit bored.

Well I bred a dratini egg in my soul silver and got it as close as "sounds like its about to hatch" (took forever!) and I traded it over to my heartgold right away. Hatched in in heart gold so I could be the OT. Now I'm debating if I should box my chikorita since I want dratini to be my "starter"...I want to build the team around dragonite...I'm thinking of making an all dragon team too. Not sure about that last part yet.

Follow bubbie on Tumblr

i'm actually starting up a mono-type run myself, it's something i've always meant to do but never actually got around to actually trying. i'm starting with a normal type team to give myself a challenge but i eventually want to make a team from every type, and that way i'll have like every one of my favorite pokemon trained up to use!

So maybe I should do only dragon type team.