LT Weekly Poll #25 Will Platinum be the last "Third Version"?

View Poll Results: Do you think Platinum will be the last "Third Version"?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 18.37%
  • No

40 81.63%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LT Weekly Poll #25 Will Platinum be the last "Third Version"?

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Default LT Weekly Poll #25 Will Platinum be the last "Third Version"?

Hello Everynyan! Welcome to the twenty-fourth instalment in the Lost Tower Forum's new weekly series of polls! (20 Already?!)

Centered around the Pokemon series of video games, these polls will be based on the various different aspects of the popular video game franchise. Every Monday, a Video Games staff member will post a new poll that'll remained stickied up on top of the forum. Suggestions for polls and questions can be sent to Joshawott, and they could possibly used for new polls (credit will be given, of course).

With that out of the way, here is the poll: Will Platinum be the last "Third Version"? With the announcement of Black 2 and White 2, now the thought of Black/White receiving a "third version" has drifted away. Do you think the age of the "third version" (Yellow/Crystal/Emerald/Platinum) is over, or is Black 2/White 2 a one-time only thing?

Past Polls of the Week

1) Were the original 151 the best?
    2) Most beneficial new generation?
    3) Best Kanto Starter?
    4) Should we go back to coloured cartridges?
    5) First Pokémon game?
    6) Best Johto Starter?
    7) How old were you when you started playing?
    8) Do you still play the older generations?
    9) Best Hoenn Starter?
    10) Slot Machines or Voltorb Flip?
    11) Favourite Kanto Gym Design?
    12) Favourite Sinnoh Starter?
    13) Most beneficial third version?
    14) First handheld console?
    15) Do you want your Pokémon to follow you again?
    16) Favourite Hoenn Gym Design?
    17) Favourite Apricorn Ball?
    18) Pokémon Contests - Yay or Nay?
    19) Did you use the Wi-Fi Plaza?
    20) Favourite Kanto Gym Leader?
    21) Do you like remakes?
    22) Favourite Stat Trainer?
    23) Favourite Johto Gym Leader?
    24) Would you like to see older games on the 3DS Virtual Console?

Thank you for voting!

-The Video Games Forum Staff

Blog Entries

Default Re: LT Weekly Poll #25 Will Platinum be the last "Third Version"?

I'm really not sure, but I'm saying no. I'm pretty sure B2/W2 are just experiments.

Nope, I don't think so.

Blog Entries

Pokemon will probably end up lasting a damn long time, and I'm sure we'll see at least another third version or three by the time the series has faded away from existence.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Sorry, but I can't vote. There are different arguments supporting the fact that BW2 could be sequels, and supporting the fact that they could be the third version/deluxe version of Gen V. But if the option was there, I'd abstain.

Blog Entries
    Follow Blue Dragon On Twitter
    Follow Blue Dragon on Tumblr

No I don't believe this to be the case at all. They haven't released direct sequels like this before, but I think they will eventually release a special third edition to the 5th Gen series and if not the 6th Gen series.

They may have changed their stripes, but they won't change their spots :p

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

There's still the possiblity of the RSE remakes coming out, so we can't be for sure XDD

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Agaçant View Post
    I'm pretty sure B2/W2 are just experiments.
    Even if they are, I highly doubt that the experiment will go wrong, as Game Freak know what they're doing and they could have easily taken the easy route by releasing a third version with much less effort. The fact that they're making this change implies that it will be worthwhile for us as well as for them; the sequels could easily outsell the third versions (except for Yellow, whose sales outside Japan greatly benefited from the 1999 fad) and not just because there are two versions (which there wouldn't be in the case of a third version). Whether or not the games will outsell FRLG and HGSS remains to be seen, but they certainly have the potential of doing so if Game Freak have taken the sequel approach seriously.

Sequels don't have to become a formula any more than remakes do, which they don't. But if the reception to B2W2 is indeed positive, I won't see any reason to expect a third version over sequels in the next generation. Speculation further into the future is silly at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dragon
    but I think they will eventually release a special third edition to the 5th Gen series
    Really now? You think there will be five Unova games in one generation? That Game Freak will deliberately draw out this generation when they haven't made the transition to the 3DS yet?
    Last edited by Silktree; 6th March 2012 at 02:58 AM.

Blog Entries
    Follow Blue Dragon On Twitter
    Follow Blue Dragon on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dragon
    but I think they will eventually release a special third edition to the 5th Gen series
    Really now? You think there will be five Unova games in one generation? That Game Freak will deliberately draw out this generation when they haven't made the transition to the 3DS yet?
    Lol I know it's unlikely, but you cut some of my post in quoting me and missed out the part when I said "if not then Gen 6" and they shocked surprised everyone with these new additions, so what's to say they won't in Gen 5. Gamefreak is starting to become a lot more unpredictable you see, so you have to have an open mind ^^

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dragon View Post
    Lol I know it's unlikely, but you cut some of my post in quoting me and missed out the part when I said "if not then Gen 6" and they shocked surprised everyone with these new additions, so what's to say they won't in Gen 5. Gamefreak is starting to become a lot more unpredictable you see, so you have to have an open mind ^^
    I did keep an open mind when I thought they would release sequels for the first time. But as I see it, at this point predicting a third version for the current generation borders on being cynical, since it assumes that Game Freak are greedy more than anything else. Granted, we should wait until B2W2' release to discuss facts, but I doubt that there will be anything left for a third version to add.

I don't think Platinum will be the last third version unless BW2 do really, really well. They've been doing third versions since the very beginning, so I don't see them stopping altogether just because they're trying something new this time around. Pumping out sequels each Gen will be a lot harder to achieve as well, so I think we might indeed see the return of third versions next Gen or the Gen after. But with BW2 they've obviously shown that they're willing to do something different so who knows what direction they'll take it in.

Starters of choice.
    Claimed Volcarona on 03/04/12.

Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    I don't think Platinum will be the last third version unless BW2 do really, really well. They've been doing third versions since the very beginning, so I don't see them stopping altogether just because they're trying something new this time around. Pumping out sequels each Gen will be a lot harder to achieve as well, so I think we might indeed see the return of third versions next Gen or the Gen after. But with BW2 they've obviously shown that they're willing to do something different so who knows what direction they'll take it in.
    Yeah, that's about right. I think BW2 is a way to stretch Gen V and the DS into being profitable a little longer without resorting to another third version that wouldn't sell as well, but that doesn't mean they won't go back to it. Third versions are too easy and reliable a way of making money for them to leave it now. Even assuming BW2 are sequels, though, I'm wondering how much will be new and how much will be repeated. I think it's likely that they'll keep a lot of Unova the same, (meaning setting, not story, Pokémon or trainers) and they might even keep some of the same sprites.

Blog Entries

Platinum may be the last, why would they suddenly make this big change only to go back to the old I doubt it.

Blog Entries

Right now, I'm not sure. But, I do think that there will be more in the future. Most likely, BW2 are just experiments and we'll probably see another third version in the next generation.
    But, who knows, if BW2 are successful enough, they may just stick with making sequels for the next generations.

Blog Entries

I just can't see Nintendo breaking with tradition. I mean Nintendo started out out as a card making company and they still make cards and the mario series hasn't really changed much since its first installment but that's what is good about Nintendo. "If it 'aint broke don't fix it"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast