LT Weekly Poll #2 Most Beneficial Past 'New' Generation?

View Poll Results: Which generation was the most beneficial?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Generation II (GSC)

17 20.48%
  • Generation III (RSEFRLG)

34 40.96%
  • Generation IV (DPtHGSS)

32 38.55%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: LT Weekly Poll #2 Most Beneficial Past 'New' Generation?

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Default LT Weekly Poll #2 Most Beneficial Past 'New' Generation?

Welcome to the second installment in the Lost Tower Forum's new weekly series of polls!

Centered around the older installments of the Pokemon series of video games, these polls will be based on the various different aspects of the popular video game franchise. Every Monday, a Video Games staff member will post a new poll that'll remained stickied up on top of the forum. Suggestions for polls and questions can be sent to Joshawott, and they could possibly used for new polls (credit will be given, of course).

With that out of the way, here is the poll: Which past 'new' generation was the most beneficial? Generation II gave us the first indication that the franchise would go on, Generation III had the overhaul and Generation IV introduced Wi-Fi and the physical/special split - which one was the most beneficial?

Past Polls of the Week
    1) LT Weekly Poll #1 Are the original 151 the best?

Thank you for voting!

-The Video Games Forum Staff
    Last edited by Joshawott; 3rd October 2011 at 07:31 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: LT Weekly Poll #2 Most Beneficial Past 'New' Generation?

While 3rd generation games are my undisputed favourites, generation 4 was easily the most beneficial to the series with the introduction of online capabilities (trading & battling), physical/special split, which was a blessing to 99% of Pokemon in the entire game, tons of new, awesome items (Life Orb, Choice Specs, Choice Scarf, Focus Sash...) and attacks (Draco Meteor, Leaf Storm, Trick Room, Close Combat, fucking Stealth Rock and many more) and bunch of evolutions which gave some of the forgotten classics a new life. There were also some smaller changes like improved end-of-turn mechanics and Hypnosis buff (well... initially), but those were the most important ones IMO.
    White FC: 1678-3054-7710
    Black 2 FC: 3053 3827 7149

Black 2

Yes, I am THAT gli. :P Gligar13's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Gen III added a lot of new features, and even broke backwards compatablility so it could. Of course, it wasn't possible anyway due to differing link cable voltages and link protocols, but they took advantage of that fact.

Gen IV introduced Wi-Fi, however, which made battle sims/link emus less relevant, as now you could battle online with THE REAL THING. It pretty much killed off netbattle, and the new battle sims were used by kids who couldn't afford a DS and DP, or by people who wanted to use maxed out teams for boring battles.
    dA::YT::furaffinity::Yes, I DID claim Gligar.

Plasbad for short Minimiscience's Avatar

Generation II easily introduced the most new lasting features: the Dark and Steel types, Sp. Def, held items, berries, shinies, Pokérus, gender, time of day, happiness, swarms, roaming Pokémon, the move deleter, move tutors, the ability to rematch Trainers other than the Elite Four and Champion, a female PC, the Battle Tower, and, perhaps most importantly of all, two little things called "breeding" and "egg moves."
    I fear naught but save file corruption.

Pearl FC: 0303 6397 4251
    HeartGold FC: 0260 6900 8265
    Black FC: 0819 3491 8420

Even though I dislike this gen,I must admit it was gen III. It modernized the game mechanics and did crucial improvements of the series.

Blog Entries

Gen 2 was pretty 'revolutionary', but RSE always felt like the most dramatic upgrade as far as graphics and the overworld were concerned. GSC looked a lot like RBGY, but RSE brought forth a new look to Pokemon, and there were a ton of new environments to explore and new innovations in the overworld itself (secret bases and diving, for example).

I have to say Gen III was the least to me, because of everything mentioned in Gen II and Gen IV. The biggest from Gen III was abilities (huge) and graphics (not really relevant).

^Agreed. Generation 2 improved on everything from Gen 1 and then some. Gen 3 did away with a lot of what had come before and while its always been controversial I don't think it can be denied that Gen 3 began the modern pokemon era. Look, enviroment, mechanics, etc. Like i've always said, Gen 3 was the Pokemn Renaissance. (And this is coming from a guy who hated Gen 3 back in the day and who's favorite Gen is still Gen 2) think every new gen's done its fair share of work. Generation 3 wins simply for the fact that it was "the overhaul" and future generations continued from it.

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best". -Karen

"For every pokemon there is a purpose and a time when it can shine under the sun." -Blue1225

Blog Entries

Probibly 3... it brought Pokemon to what it is now.. it added abilities and natuers expanded the Berry's gave us a new region and lots of new pokemon and perfected a lot of things from Gen II (though they removed the Da/Night feature you could argue that theu didn't because G/S were dying because the batteries kept on getting drained. and while Gen II added a lot it was nullified by keeping to closr to Gen I and not feeling like it's own Gen
    Black: 4727-9836-9051
    White: 3396-7767-9032
    Platinum: 0003-5833-1618
    Soul Silver: 3138-3094-2458

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

Id say Generation iV. Generation iV brought us wi-fi for Pokemon games, which I believe to be one of the most important features of the Pokemon games.

Blog Entries
    Follow H-con On Twitter Add H-con on Facebook Add H-con on Google+ Add H-con on MySpace
    Add H-con on Linkedin Follow H-con on Tumblr Follow H-con on Flickr Visit H-con's Youtube Channel

Graphic improvements might be good, but unless the graphic actually hinders gameplay in a notable way, I'd gladly skip upgrading that in order to make the game altogether better. This is why I don't really value the gen III graphic update too much (don't misunderstand me, it was a good and needed upgrade, but I wouldn't say it changed the games too much. Made them nicer to look at though).

Generation II was to me the best "addition" of changes. Holding items (far more interesting than natures ever where, at least to me). Day and night made the world seem more varied. I doubt many of us can picture a pokémon game without breeding, a very drastic yet good addition. I don't consider abilities as equal to breeding (though it's not like I'm undermining Abilities, it's just that out of the two, I'd pick breeding). Considering adding shiny pokémon, the pokérus (okay, that's not essential, but whatever) and happiness as game mechanics, and not to mention the special split. This did seriously affect the game. Lastly, the Steel and Dark type.

I'd say the biggest changes in generation III was the changes in the EV/IV system and abilities. Nature not so much, because I don't feel they add too much to the game, at least not enough that they should. The addition of Wi-Fi in gen IV was certainly a welcome one, though I don't really consider it as too necessary to enjoy the game, it certainly is a good and needed addition, especially for those that don't have too many friends with a DS (or pokémon, for that matter).

To name some negative changes with GSC, it's enough to mention Whirlpool, Rock Smash (though a TM, introducing it certainly didn't help further on, when they decided to make it a HM) and a battery that got depleted.
    Saiga likes this.

I won't bite... much. SharKing's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow SharKing On Twitter
    Visit SharKing's Youtube Channel

Diamond and Pearl easily brought the biggest benefits to the Pokemon series. The biggest changes are Wi-Fi capabilities and the Physical/Special move individualization, and that's among many other benefits, like some awesome new items (like the Life Orb) and upgrades to some older items (like the Light Ball).
    Lord Clowncrete likes this.
    This post brought to you by
    SharKing Productions

If you want to battle me, trade with me, or use my Friend Safari in X/Y, my FC is 1220 7381 3516.

I'm not just on BMGf. Check me out on:
    YouTube | Twitter | Smogon Forums | Marriland Forums

I think I would have to go with gen II. I feel what it introduced are the most interesting and have all become pretty solid points in the games since them. Held items, shinies, eggs/breeding, day/night are some and I don't think anyone would say that those are bad things.

◓Gypsy Vanner Horse Kyuuketsuki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In terms of features, IV seemed to introduce the ones most beneficial. Wi-Fi alone revolutionised the games.

一級空手家! Water Max's Avatar Bulbanews Writer
    Blog Entries
    Follow Water Max On Twitter Add Water Max on Facebook
    Add Water Max on Linkedin Follow Water Max on Tumblr Visit Water Max's Youtube Channel

I think generation III was the most beneficial generation because it introduced natures, move relearners, abilities and contests and more useful Poké Balls and berries than in generation II. It also began to show more details about each move when viewing the status of a pokémon including its type, power, accuracy and if it physical or special.
    Staff member of Bulbanews (Writer).
    Original Poster of the Kingdom of Pokémon [v1.5]-[v4].
    I've claimed Cacturne, Suicune, Hustle, Hydro Cannon and Gary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast