Lavender Town music anomaly...?
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lavender Town music anomaly...?

Blog Entries

Default Lavender Town music anomaly...?

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Lavender_Town

"In the first release of Red and Green in Generation I, Lavender Town's music track contained a high pitched track in the background at certain intervals of its music. In the American releases and Generation III, this track was removed due to strain on speakers and negative effects on the human senses. "

Is there any truth to this? Can the original be heard anyway? I know there was a crappy urban legend about some beta version with human corpses as enemies that made kids kill themselves because the song had such weird pitches, but that was proven to be a 4chan hoax and I'm surprised to see this bit of it on Bulbapedia. Was it based on fact (the song actually did get changed and another version does exist) or is it just a prank edit, and if it is, shouldn't it be changed?

Engineer_Jeers02.WAV Mr. Slowpoke's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Lavender Town music anomaly...?

Although I'm pretty sure the high pitched tunes were removen in the US/EU/AU releases of FR/LG, I don't know why and how those tunes would've even the slightest effect on human senses.

Blog Entries

Well, supposedly the pitches were so high pitched that it was on the verge on being unhearable to people in puberty (the key audience) because (not a part of the legend, true stuff) the capability of the human ear to pick up certain pitches changes between children and adults. How interesting that it actually was changed, though. I wonder which dude on the American dev team actually took the time to say "DAMN IT JIM, THIS MUSIC IS GIVING ME A HEADACHE, TAKE OUT THE HIGH PITCHED PARTS"

Blog Entries

This sounds like something off of Mythbusters.
    Why would sounds of that pitch be programmed into the game? And furthermore, could the Gameboy even produce such a high pitch?

Blog Entries

That's what I'm trying to figure out. It seems like it adds up, but... it really doesn't.

So far the only thing I can notice between the two versions is that the US version added a horrifying echo effect. I listened to the "original" and the parts that were "problems" are just as loud in the American version. I'm thinking that bit of trivia is a lie.

EDIT: No, there is one part that is different. The Japanese version, before looping, plays a general outro that is composed of the original melody with a screechy alien sound font. It is high pitched but... my gosh, I can sing higher pitched than that, and I'm a bass. I'm thinking the song was indeed changed, but I see nothing "harmful to the senses", it's an obnoxious sound but nails on a chalkboard cause more "harm" than that three seconds.

Blog Entries

I have red blue and yellow, I will see if any of them have this, but they may not be the older ones, but I think they are since my bros get them when they first came out in the U.S..

I don't think it's true. Here's the japanese R/G lavender town music. I have Blue version so I went to lavender town in my game and listened to the japanese version at the same time and they sounded the exact same.

Blog Entries

I jst checked, it hurts my ears, and it isn't in the newer ones... I could hear it but my dad couldn't.

Blog Entries

The only part I can tell different after listening to them back to back for an hour now is 5:05 to 5:11 in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZOd_gFld9c. That particular clip doesn't seem to be in the American version.

Ouch, that's ear murder!!! I didn't know the GB could produce that high-pitched of a noise, but I just barely heard it for some reason...

Blog Entries

Yeah, that one part is haunting me now. I keep wondering why they put it in and cut it out.

On another note, anyone have the deleted song from RBY? I heard there was one out there but I can't readily locate it.

Blog Entries

Also check out 1:00-1:05.

Many kids get addicted to this song and just stay in this town, it gives some kids headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by JeanLuc Pika-Q View Post
    Yeah, that one part is haunting me now. I keep wondering why they put it in and cut it out.

On another note, anyone have the deleted song from RBY? I heard there was one out there but I can't readily locate it.
    I remember there was a deleted song in GSC, but that's about it. I looked up deleted RBY music and found the surf music with lyrics XD

Blog Entries

Okay, go to to song and keep clicking on 5:09, it shows one of these sounds, then go to 5:07 and keep clicking on it, it will play a different one of these sounds.

i always knew. Ivysaur's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeanLuc Pika-Q View Post
    The only part I can tell different after listening to them back to back for an hour now is 5:05 to 5:11 in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZOd_gFld9c. That particular clip doesn't seem to be in the American version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken The Pen View Post
    Okay, go to to song and keep clicking on 5:09, it shows one of these sounds, then go to 5:07 and keep clicking on it, it will play a different one of these sounds.
    Read the description on the video.

(It should be noted that the emulator stunted on certain parts of the music, more specifically, between 2:32 - 2:38 and 5:05 - 5:11. Those periods do not constitute the actual reproduction of the track, they are instead abnormalities caused by technical issues with the emulation.)
    3DS FC: 1203-9389-8130

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast