Lack of regional starters in games. Why?

Thread: Lack of regional starters in games. Why?

Default Lack of regional starters in games. Why?

Have you ever wondered why the starters from previous regions are not available in the games. You can only get them via trade. (For example, none of the starters from the previous regions can be found in D/P)

The same has been said for every Pokemon game out there. The starters from previous regions are unavailable in the game. I mean really, these baby Pokemon rate the same as legendaries. They certainly are rare as legendaries. They ARE pokemon after all. 400+ pokemon are available in D/P. You would at least think these baby pokemon would be caught in the wild...

Hi Rayne's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries

Well you have to understand that this is done to enforce the mechanic
    of trading/breeding. While I do not like the idea of how pokemon that are
    breed or those that are singularly exclusive (excluding legends) are really
    tough to obtain its fair to isolate such pokemon in order to stress interactivity.

Though, I still wish there were easier ways to get more than one starter pokemon in game.
    You do hold some valid arguments there and I really hope future titles make certain
    'rare' species of pokemon like the starters, event, breedable pokemon etc. reasonably
    catchable in game.

-In Simple Harmony-

yeah, you should be able to catch previous starters in the wild. it's unfair that you can only get one out of three and you can get that one once
    My sig ran when it saw your face

DOES IT VIA COPY/PASTE Æsahættr's Avatar
    Blog Entries

so far the only game where you can get more than one starter was yellow. and even then they weren't even starter choices so they were one-offs like always

Facebook | Twitter | LJ
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs, and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.

Hi Rayne's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries

Well if you make that case, then I guess Colleseum should be included as well.
    Indirectly, you could get the three Jhoto starters though the story line after
    purification/breeding and all that jazz.

Eh, at least it was a step in the right direction. I'd still like to see a wild starter though.

-In Simple Harmony-

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

I'd certainly like to see more of the stuff like there was in Colosseum. Capturable mid-form starters, while the basic form is a breed-only thing. I mean, it'd be like how you can't get Elekids, Smoochums, Magbys, or Tyrogues in the wild, though they evolve based on level, and often into their higher form at a level beyond that which you obtain the higher level in the wild.

I don't think it'd be overtly unreasonable to see a wild Quilava at around level 20... maybe not wild Typhlosions, but you get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    Well if you make that case, then I guess Colleseum should be included as well.
    And if we're gonna go that route, Pokémon Stadium should be included as well, since you could obtain Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle by beating Gym Leader Castle. I'm not sure about Stadium 2 and the Johto starters though, I think you got the move relearner from GLC in that game.

Quote Originally Posted by TTEchidna View Post
    I mean, it'd be like how you can't get Elekids, Smoochums, Magbys, or Tyrogues in the wild...
    You can catch those Pokémon in the wild in Diamond and Pearl. All babies are now catchable in the wild.

Religion is a club Every Breaking Wave's Avatar
    Blog Entries

One thing I've always found annoying is the lack of fully-evolved Pokemon in the wild. Sure you get Fearow, Ledian, Wheezing, and occasionally an Arbok or a Beedrill, but why so few? Anybody ever seen a wild Pidgeot, Ampharos, Dragonite, Poliwrath, Clefable, Golem, etc.

Is it unreasonable to assume that there can be these evolved forms? There are Cleffa that carry the Moon Stone, and Golem that are seen wild in the anime, so why not in the games?

Merciless Goddess Misty's Avatar Retired Staff
    Trophies

Re the starters: I think the idea is that starters are very rare Pokemon that are specially bred in captivity.

Re evolutions in the wild: Certain evolutions are rare because they have difficult requirements - some require trading, some require an item, some require both, some require incredibly high levels... on the other hand, there are wild Steelix (!) in DP, so it's not impossible...