IVs, DVs, EVs, and buiding a battling Pokemon.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IVs, DVs, EVs, and buiding a battling Pokemon.

Default IVs, DVs, EVs, and buiding a battling Pokemon.

Can anyone please explain these terms to me ...I read Bulbapedia, Serebii, and other things and I still am not understanding the concept completely.

I would much love your help in this.

For example, say I had a Dratini (or Bagon), how would one raise this according with the IV, EVs, and what not and make him the ultimate pokemon he can be.

Thanks, and I will be very greatful.

pmj.

For example, say I had a Dratini (or Bagon), how would one raise this according with the IV, EVs, and what not and make him the ultimate pokemon he can be.
    IVs are unique to each Pokemon and can be improved through selective breeding. EVs determine what stats your Pokemon gain when you level up and are determined by what Pokemon you fight and what vitamins you give them.

In your case, you'd have to select what you want the Pokemon to be used for (Special Attack or Physical Attack) breed constantly until you have one with the IVs in the right places for specializing it, then fight the right Pokemon again and again and again and again and again ad infinitum until it can no longer gain anymore EVs.

All of which is waaay too much trouble and a sign of being incredibly anally retentive if you ask me. I'd rather lose a few battles than spent five hours of my life fighting the same wild Pokemon 500 times.
    Up the airy mountains / Down the rushy Glen /
    We dare not go a-hunting / For fear of Fairy-type Pokémon

I don't do EV's and stuff either, so you don't have to do it.

I'm sure alot of people on WiFi won't as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    IVs are unique to each Pokemon and can be improved through selective breeding. EVs determine what stats your Pokemon gain when you level up and are determined by what Pokemon you fight and what vitamins you give them.

In your case, you'd have to select what you want the Pokemon to be used for (Special Attack or Physical Attack) breed constantly until you have one with the IVs in the right places for specializing it, then fight the right Pokemon again and again and again and again and again ad infinitum until it can no longer gain anymore EVs.

All of which is waaay too much trouble and a sign of being incredibly anally retentive if you ask me. I'd rather lose a few battles than spent five hours of my life fighting the same wild Pokemon 500 times.
    But how do you know which pokemon give the effort points needed, and when you breed do you find one that is above average in the stat or just a bit ahead meaning it's the highest stat that the Pokemon has.

I don't do EV's and stuff either, so you don't have to do it.

I'm sure alot of people on WiFi won't as well.

I would have this attitude too, until XD whipped my PokeButt in the Orre Collesium.

But how do you know which pokemon give the effort points needed, and when you breed do you find one that is above average in the stat or just a bit ahead meaning it's the highest stat that the Pokemon has.
    I'm not all that clear on how to get better Ivs. But for EVs, there's no way of knowing in game without constantly experimenting and a lot of math. Mostly you have to look up charts online.

It's a feature that's primarily there to make more diversity in Pokemon of the same species, as indicated that nobody in the game even mentions it's existance. It's just that a lot of people exploit it to raise "perfect" Pokemon.
    Up the airy mountains / Down the rushy Glen /
    We dare not go a-hunting / For fear of Fairy-type Pokémon

I personally consider exploiting EVs and the like to be cheating. It just seems really cheap to those who don't insist on every tiny little detail being perfect and instead battle with a Pokemon from the get-go. EVs and such weren't meant to be known by the player, and exploiting this in-game mechanism I really consider to be cheating. It just takes all the fun out of raising Pokemon (when you do EV-training and such) and to battle against other people who do when you don't.

"In a strange way we're all very much like the characters we play. Veronica is very compassionate and determined all at the same time. Rachael is very much both Misty and Jessie. She can be very sweet until she's pushed too far. Eric is Brock. He's exactly Brock. It's scary how much like the characters we are. I don't know if we've become them --or they've become us." - Maddie Blaustein

Oh I agree with you 100% times over, however when XD came out and I was getting owned left and right I thought maybe sometimes was up...I mean those Pokemon are monsters.

*bumped, so heres what I'm doing I breeding my dratini until it got the nature I wanted to.

Then this is where I think I'm going wrong.

I attached the macho brace, and I'm defeating wild Pokemon according to my level...I think that's what I'm suppose to do, yet I'm not getting the results I want.

I reread the game guide on Serebii so many times and I'm still perplexed...I would love your help guys, really.

Zeta mind breaking it down...again ;p. I get to the point that you have to battle certain pokemon but WHICH ones do you have to battle over again?

EVs :(.

I wouldn't be so persistant about it, but me being owned on XD completely made me think I'll be being owned left and right online.

Serebii and Bulbagarden are NOT the places to go to to understand these concepts. There's only one place for this: Smogon.

Anyway, since Smogon's down, I'll give you the basic breakdown.

IVs and DVs are the same thing. They're individual values that are randomly determined when the Pokemon first appears. For Advance, they come in a set of 6: one each for HP, Attack, Defense, Speed, Special Attack, and Special Defense. The values can be from 0 to 31; with one exception, you want your IVs to be as high as possible, as these will make your stats higher. (The one exception is for getting a useful Hidden Power; as far as in-game, unless you're sharking, don't even bother with this. For Netbattle it's a little different.)

EVs, or effort values are a bit more complex. When you defeat an enemy Pokemon, whether wild or a trainer's, your Pokemon gets EVs. EVs, like IVs, are grouped by stat - HP/At/Df/Speed/SAt/SDf - and the more EVs, the higher the stat. Which EVs you get are dependant upon the Pokemon you defeat; Metagross gives 3 Defense EVs, while Tentacool gives 1 Special Defense EV (I believe). If you want to know what gives what EVs, there's a list here. (incidentally, that link will also give you a decent overview of various concepts.)

The tricky part starts with the caps. First off, each stat has a cap. If you defeat, say, 255 Tentacool (255 special defense EVs), then defeat another one, you won't have 256; you'll still have 255. The 255 cap applies to all stats. Second, there's a TOTAL cap of 510 - in other words, if you have 80 HP EVs, 156 Defense EVs, 252 Speed EVs, and 22 Special Defense EVs, that's 510 - and no matter what Pokemon you defeat from then on, you will never get any more EVs. Certain berries in Emerald will permit you to remove 10 EVs from a stat; but if you're dead set on EV training, this shouldn't matter.

And finally... making a battling Pokemon or even a team is not an exact science. Smogon can only go so far in bridging the gap; at best, you can try to put together a standard team, or steal someone else's, or get a skilled battler to help you make one (I'm not a skilled battler) - but you eventually have to develop the skills necessary to compete. Fortunately, if your only objective is to beat trainers in XD, you can take heart in the fact that the AI can be exploited, as it will rarely switch; but if you want to go online, I recommend taking up Netbattle. There's no substitute for real experience, and at the moment, Netbattle is the closest thing you'll get to DP online until the latter is out and available.

Misty, will you marry me ;p thank you that's just thre breakdown I needed except one of the most important concepts that I need is the link you provided about which Pokemon deal out what is broken.

But thanks you are the best.

That link should work - it's just a link to a GameFAQs FAQ. You can try to access it from their site - just find the Pokemon Emerald FAQs and open the "Competitive Battling" guide.

So this is what I got, Oddish and Roselia give one EV point in Special Attack so if I'm training my Milotic to be good in special attack, I attach the macho brace to her and just defeat said enemies?

Yep. You might want to keep count of your EVs so you don't spend too long fighting - EV training can be a crushing bore >.>

Well, I don't use EVs, Ivs, DVs, etc. When it comes to Pokémon, I'm lost in time, I still treat the game like I'm playing G/S. Wait. I actually breed Pokémon in G/S.

I agree, EV training is overrated x)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast