16th November 2008, 10:06 AM #1
I'm sure it's been discussed before...
This may be the wrong forum for this, forgive me if it is...
I'm a 28 year old man and I've grown up with pokemon. I got to the point in college where I could play my gameboy without looking a the screen, fighting the elite four simply by listening. I love this game series.
I've been searching the forums for info, ideas, questions or dreams about my question. I haven't found anything yet, so if anyone could direct me to a link to other discussions on this subject, it would be appreciated.
MY QUESTION IS THIS: Is there, or will there ever be, a Pokemon MMORPG? Something akin to World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy XI, Fable II, etc.
I invision something with Kingdom Hearts graphics where you run through the world with your pokemon running behind you, and you can do everything from fighting, breeding, trading, berries, beauty contests, swimming, climbing, decorating, the possabilties are endless.
Many people who have grown up with pokemon are old enough to do a pay-per-month online game. It blows my mind that the makers of Pokemon have not yet released something like this.
If anyone has any info, I'd appreciate it.
16th November 2008, 11:08 AM #2
There, currently, is no Pokemon MMORPG. Could one be made in the future? Possibly. But, as far as is known, there is no official Pokemon MMORPG being produced. There are several fanmade attempts that you can find by using Google, but most don't make it halfway before Nintendo shuts them down or they just fold themselves (and they usually use graphics akin to the third generation games. Sometimes the actual sprites, sometimes they're just similar).
But, rest assured, you're not alone in wanting Nintendo to make one. I know there's at least one thread either in the Generation IV forum or the Pokemon Video Games forum that's mostly about what people want in a Pokemon MMORPG (or something similar).
16th November 2008, 11:16 AM #3
Avatar mostly by Asci
Poeple are definitely working on them, though they're not connected with Nintendo. I know of two:
1. Pokémon World Online - I actually haven't been on this for quite a while, but when I was, they had a problem with party Pokémon turning into wild Pokémon (so we had people whose rare Bulbasaur, super rare Pikachu, and high-level Pokémon were being replaced with Pidgey and such)
2. Pokémon Cyrus - Not sure how it's been doing (since I remember that it was replaced with the PWO site and staff, and I thought it was gone, so I didn't bother looking), but after looking, I see that it exists and has a site.
There was Pokémon Online, the first one I ever went to. It had a great site that spelled out everything they were aiming for. I know there were people who hacked into the game while it was in way early development. Now it's being built from scratch. There's still a forum (which is dang near impossible to find so here's the link) and a now comparatively bare site linked to it.
Last edited by Kthleen; 16th November 2008 at 12:46 PM.
16th November 2008, 11:49 AM #4
It's tasting time!
You posted this in the wrong section. *moves to Pokemon video games*
16th November 2008, 02:01 PM #5
thanks for all the info!
I figured I wasn't alone in wanting this, but I didn't know where to find such likeminded people. Anyone know the addresses and phone numbers of the pokemon developers so we can bombard them with ideas? just kidding.
But in seriousness, is there an acceptable method of dropping suggestions to people who can do something about it?
Thanks also for redirecting the topic.
16th November 2008, 05:49 PM #6
PocketMonsters reported earlier this year that a company was seeking development money and rights for a Pokémon MMO from Nintendo. I want to say it was the Ambrella Company, but I'm not certain.
16th November 2008, 05:50 PM #7
Now that's what I was hoping to hear!! Is there any link that I can follow up to see where you got that info?
Originally Posted by Commander_Saturn
16th November 2008, 06:20 PM #8
Sadly I can only point you to PocketMonsters.net, and I don't know if the story is even still in their archives.
Originally Posted by RUMBLETiGER
I wouldn't get too excited... after that announcement, the project was never heard of again, so at best it is still in early stages of development.
16th November 2008, 08:01 PM #9
"Component 'MSINET.OCX' or one of its components is not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid"
Originally Posted by Kthleen
2nd December 2008, 12:36 AM #10
I think there are a few problems with a Pokemon MMORPG (thought it'd be freakin awesome!)
1) The setting of an MMORPG would have to be in an established continent, or an entirely new one (or you could travel the world), which wouldn't be a problem, except one thing about the main PKMN games (the whole Gameboy/DS main series) is that they're quite linear and simple compared to what an MMORPG would have to be. Think of it: in each game, you HAVE to be a trainer (no being just a breeder or tamer, or whatever), you save the world, and become THE BEST trainer (not just mediocre, as some players of a MMORPG would inevitably be), there's very little to explore that isn't necessary to the game (no meandering around the plains and forests), and no other characters really seem to matter except you.
2) Gym leaders. In reality, no WAY would a gym leader on an MMORPG be able to have anything less than lv 100s. They would all be preyed upon by teh other 1337 H4X0R5. Also, would Gym Leaders be NPC's or players?
3)Continent tangent, here. The old continents wouldn't work, would they? Much too linear (geographically) and tiny for many many players.
4) Legendaries would be sooo rare. Could anyone catch one? If so, they'd be too common. If not, almost no one would have them (which would be good, but people would whine).
Not trying to be a downer, or a nay-sayer or anything. Just putting in my two cents' worth. None of these problems are really so bad, but I worry that they'd have to change a lot, and it would bother people. I would love it if they did it right, but so many people would be such complainers, you know? They'd be used to the linear games, and stuff.
2nd December 2008, 01:14 AM #11
The Kitty Overlord
An MMORPG would be fun, but things might not be Pokemon anymore.