Identical Sprites Between Games

Thread: Identical Sprites Between Games

Australian Trainer AbsoluTotodile's Avatar

Default Identical Sprites Between Games

I've been looking at the various Pokémon sprites from all generations, and I've noticed a lot look similar if not identical. Aside the fact that all Gen 2 and 3 sprites (minus Deoxys and Teddiursa) are the same in Ruby & Sapphire as they are in FireRed & LeafGreen, does anyone know if other sprites have been reused in different games/generations? Especially Unown. Are all its sprites identical in every game since Ruby and Sapphire?

I'm sure that the Ho-Oh sprite has been altered for graphics and such, but it's pose in Gen IV is identical in Gen II.

WMS
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluTotodile View Post
    I've been looking at the various Pokémon sprites from all generations, and I've noticed a lot look similar if not identical. Aside the fact that all Gen 2 and 3 sprites (minus Deoxys and Teddiursa) are the same in Ruby & Sapphire as they are in FireRed & LeafGreen, does anyone know if other sprites have been reused in different games/generations? Especially Unown. Are all its sprites identical in every game since Ruby and Sapphire?
    maybe cause FR/LG were part of the 3rd generation like R/S idk it seems there is a new 100 pokemon every 2 years -.-"

Seems likely.

Australian Trainer AbsoluTotodile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sethrosedawn View Post
    maybe cause FR/LG were part of the 3rd generation like R/S idk it seems there is a new 100 pokemon every 2 years -.-"
    Umm...wha?

I realise that the first 151, Deoxys and Teddiursa sprites were remade for FR/LG and all the rest are the same as in Ruby and Sapphire. But I'm wondering have other sprites been reused, I guess more specifically between 3rd Generation and 4th Generation games. For example, it seems to me like the Unown sprites (supposedly due to their simplicity) used in Ruby and Sapphire are identical to the sprites in Diamond and Pearl. But as Daggerwolf has pointed out sprites like Ho-oh have been redrawn in the same pose.

So the question really is, has Nintendo been lazy at all with any of the sprites between games, or do they just look incredibly similar?

Blog Entries

I know a couple poses have been reused, but also upgraded to the current generation's artworl

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Most of the Gen II backsprites were reused, I know that.