i think I was spoiled...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: i think I was spoiled...

Luc

Default i think I was spoiled...

so i recently beat white, and it was the first pokemon game I've ever played. I really loved it! So I decided to play all of them in order (kind of- ill be playing the enhanced remakes when applicable).

Anyways, I'm like 5 or 6 hours into FireRed, and While I like it, I'm also kind of bored with it. I just got off the boat (where you learn Cut), and so far there really hasn't been much story, not comparable to white at least. The gameplay of course is good, I mean its pokemon, the gameplay is largely the same.

Does the story ever get more involved in this game? And if not, are the other games like that too (soul silver will be the next one I play, then emerald, followed by platinum).

Blog Entries

Default Re: i think I was spoiled...

You should remember FireRed is a remake of a 15 year old game. Compared to the newer games, the first generation is much more bare-boned. The plot is mostly just Team Rocket and beating the Elite Four. The plot is no where as detailed and connected as newer games, but is still great because it's nostalgic and sets the basics to expand on in the series. SoulSilver has quite a bit more plot, but not like B&W.

Just goes to show how, not just the Pokemon, but the games evolve as well.
    GAME OVER
    RETURN OF GANON

Blog Entries

I can certainly see what you mean about FireRed being a bit dull. For veteran fans, FireRed (and LeafGreen) is a nostalgic trip down memory lane, but for newcomers it could feel a bit underwhelming. I'd recommend trying out Pokémon Emerald and Pokémon Platinum -- they're far more "epic" and exciting games, at least in my opinion.

I'd actually recommend not playing SoulSilver if you haven't really enjoyed FireRed. It's more of the same, only it's prettier.
    3DS FC: 1203-9389-8130

Luc

im defiantly going to play SS, its already in the process of shipping to my house. Even if the story is bare bones I'll work my way through it, I want have access to all those pokemon to transfer to my white game haha.

The older games didn't focus on complex storylines except maybe Platinum. But they focused on a much better playing experience and had many more to offer.

I would suggest trying Heartgold/Soulsilver as they are better of the remakes, but if older graphics don't turn you off you should try the original games, particulary Crystal.

Kip

Firered/Leafgreen I can agree are more boring than the others. And while SoulSilver does have more of a plot, its still not nearly as much as White did. However, its still highly enjoyable. (At least in my opinion.)

Emerald quickly became my favorite game once I started playing it. I love the storyline, the legendary pokemon, and kind of just Hoenn in general. Platinum is also one of my favorites, with whats probably my favorite story from any of the games. (I don't know why, I just love Team Galactic.) Both of these two games have a much more involved story than Firered does, so I'd definitely play them.

Yes, I am THAT gli. :P Gligar13's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The only older games that were plot focused were Johto somewhat, and you could skip the story if you wanted to unlike HGSS.

If you want a Pokemon Console RPG with more traditional RPG elements like an overworld, a plot more tied into the gameplay, and different methods of encounters, try the 2 orre games, Colo and XD. Those are good, trust me.
    dA::YT::furaffinity::Yes, I DID claim Gligar.

Firered and Leafgreen was a bit boring, but it was still pretty fun to play through. I liked playing it because it was an updated version of the original, and I doubt gamefreak would make another remake for R/B/Y or a remake of FR/LG (a remake of a remake?) anytime soon. I still prefer the original though. It was probably boring for me because I already knew what was gonna happen, since I played Blue and Yellow after I completed Crystal. Same with Heartgold, I got a bit bored of it probably because of how I played Crystal, but it was still really fun to play.

I love Emerald and Platinum, they're both really good games. It's best if I not tell you why, you can find out yourself.
    ...How Original

Pokemon Black Friend code: 5286-1627-8061
    My 4 gen games won't work on my wi-fi

Luc

ya so im a bit further into fire red, and for fun i started up emerald-- im literally only like 5 mins into, dont even have my starter and can tell its going to be WAY better! I may just stop playing fire red altogether, haha.

I think im gonna go with the fire starter, its final evo looks the coolest imo, although ive always been partial to grass type pokemon :/

I could see them doing a remake of yellow maybe?

I'm excited for SS, should come in like two days-- i really wish all the pokemon games let you have your main pokemon follow you around like pikachu does in yellow-- so i was excited to read that you can sort of do that in HGSS.

While Red/Blue and FireRed/LeafGreen are mainly played for "nostalgic reasons", you have to keep in mind that because White was Luc's first Pokémon game (and therefore Luc may be one of our younger members here on Bulbagarden), Luc may not find anything nostalgic about those games simply because (s)he has never played an older game.

While the main reason is for nostalgic purposes, a secondary reason of playing FireRed/LeafGreen is to get the Kanto Pokémon more quickly and easily. That way you can import them into Diamond/Pearl/Platinum and then trade to Black/White. Of course, this is really only necessary if you don't have HG/SS.

Luc

Quote Originally Posted by MageLeif View Post
    While Red/Blue and FireRed/LeafGreen are mainly played for "nostalgic reasons", you have to keep in mind that because White was Luc's first Pokémon game (and therefore Luc may be one of our younger members here on Bulbagarden), Luc may not find anything nostalgic about those games simply because (s)he has never played an older game.

While the main reason is for nostalgic purposes, a secondary reason of playing FireRed/LeafGreen is to get the Kanto Pokémon more quickly and easily. That way you can import them into Diamond/Pearl/Platinum and then trade to Black/White. Of course, this is really only necessary if you don't have HG/SS.
    ya, i have a DS XL, so no way of importing from GBA with that haha. Playing fire red and emerald via emulator. Although I do have a copy of leaf green somewhere in storage along with my old GBA, not sure where I put em haha, prolly in a box somewhere in my attic lolz.

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Playing RGBY/FRLG is kind of useful to appreciate GSC/HGSS to the fullest.

The Kanto games are lacking in intense story, instead all of it takes a very relaxed pace, except when you are taking on Sylph's building I'd guess, but that counts as a dungeon. In everything else you don't have any sort of pressure nor anything, it's more about exploring.

The Johto games in comparision kick up the story a lot. It is not at the level of the later games, but it still is much better than the Kanto games. You have gym leaders interacting even more directly with the plot, recurrent characters that make the game more dynamic, etc.

But Emerald and Platinum are far closer to what you probably would expect. There's a constant plot with legendaries and all that stuff.

[/overexposition]

一級空手家! Water Max's Avatar Bulbanews Writer
    Blog Entries
    Follow Water Max On Twitter Add Water Max on Facebook
    Add Water Max on Linkedin Follow Water Max on Tumblr Visit Water Max's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by ¿Mukuhawku? View Post
    You should remember FireRed is a remake of a 15 year old game. Compared to the newer games, the first generation is much more bare-boned. The plot is mostly just Team Rocket and beating the Elite Four.
    In Fire Red and Leaf Green there is also a story in the Sevii Islands which is mostly after beating the Elite Four.
    Staff member of Bulbanews (Writer).
    Original Poster of the Kingdom of Pokémon [v1.5]-[v4].
    I've claimed Cacturne, Suicune, Hustle, Hydro Cannon and Gary.

Master of all dragons Captain Draco's Avatar

I recommend Platinum, being it was my first Pokemon game I understood, and by far its my favorite. (Played Yellow at 4, then didn't play pokemon until I got Platinum for my birthday two years ago.)

Disaster approaches... BlackwaterPark's Avatar

You might not agree with me here or even think this is important, but I think that FireRed/LeafGreen had the worst music out of all the main series Pokemon games. That in itself was enough to deter me from coming back to them. After 5th gen, I think Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald have the best music, so you may want to try Emerald (or wait for Ruby/Sapphire remakes if we get them).
    Current activity: Playing through Platinum for the first time.

1. Find shiny Pokemon
    2. Determine Secret ID
    3. RNG to my heart's content!

Last updated April 17, 2012

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast