How would you make a multi-region game?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would you make a multi-region game?

Default How would you make a multi-region game?

Not sure if this is in the right forum, but whatever. :P

Exposition: GSC had not only Johto, but a somewhat scaled-down-in-story Kanto that could be explored after the Elite Four was beaten and showed what happened to it three years after RBY. Here on the Internet I've seen some people who were fine with this and liked the nostalgia trip, while others who didn't like that it was included, rehashed, and say that they should've focused on making Johto better.

But my question is--if you made a new regular Pokémon game, but with two, three, or heck, all regions--how would you make it remain fun and engrossing? (This is assuming it's a good idea in the first place, of course.)

Myself--the only way I can think of right now is not introducing each region linearly and making the player necessarily doing the same thing in each region (e.g. beating each region's Gym Leader one by one). Instead, locations (not necessarily in the order of the regions) could be introduced due to an unorthodox frame story. What kind of story that would be doesn't really matter--as long as it's not just the orthodox get-all-eight-badges story. And--heaven forbid--a complex plot. :P

How would you do it?
    "It's...it's like winning the lottery, without the taxes!"
    "Remember, the enemy's gate is down."
    "And like that...POW! I'm gone!"
    "Buh! Buh! Buh huh huh!"
    "You're doomed, you junior-varsity losers!"

Religion is a club Every Breaking Wave's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd probably do it similar to how the anime progresses to be honest. That is to say not just linear Gym battles, but all the little plot details that are included in each (and have worked into the generations somewhat). Make there be an actual rival between the teams of Kanto/Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh. Put in Jessie and James as in Yellow, but make them have more appearances than three.

Legendaries should be much harder to catch and/or defeat. Every Pokemon - including all the starters - should be available in the wild, just extremely rare in some cases. Also, add in more locations that have never made it into the games but do play an integral part in the anime. The Orange Islands and the Charicific Valley come to mind here.

Oh, and with the Pokemon League, make it an actual tournament, not just the Elite Four.

What I really liked about Kanto in GSC is that I could get the badges in any order, and you could freely go around anywhere you wanted.

As clichéd as it is, I would like to have to chase evil organizations all around the world. Maybe Team Rocket and Team Galaxy find that they work better aligning with each other for some reason. I want to be able to go anywhere at any time, to provide for a non-linear plot. For example, two Grunts can be spotted at different places at the same time. There might be a recommended order to do them (i.e. one adventure requires lower levels than the other), but if done in the reverse (by taking the harder opponents on first), there could be a bigger reward (receiving more money or even a prize Pokémon). This may not come out very clear, though.

(Maybe I've been getting a bit too interested in Carmen Sandiego lately...)

Assuming it would be possible to include more than one region without a detrimental cost to the main region, and with a full adventure available on each further region - not just a half adventure chucked in - the only thing that would be needed, and that i'd put in, would be a cap on what Pokemon you can take between regions until you complete the gyms.

Basically, to do what the anime has done with changing regions. You can only take low levelled Pokemon and can't access your older Pokemon until you beat the gym challenge and thus, all of a sudden, the problem that ruined G/S/C is gone and you potentially have one of the best Pokemon games made.

Make it more of a non-linear sandbox style game like Steambot Chronicles/Grand Theft Auto/Elder Scrolls/Fable, presenting the player with a vast, five-region world to play in and numerous goals to accomplish.

1) Beating the GymLeaders/Elite 4 would just merely be one way to progress through the regions, with alternate pathways opening up for defeating villain bosses (which would be more numerous), completing Contests, or breeding/collecting Pokemon for NPCs.

2) In addition, the player would be given the option of having a larger customizable space rather than a single base - possibly with purchisable land where the player could set up their own Daycare/Ranch that would level up stored Pokemon depending on the aesthetic quality of it and care of of the plants there.

3) More minigames and sidequests would be setup, such as optional tournaments with specially selected opponents and conditions per town held on a weekly basis (like an NPC Grass-only tournament in Celdadon). And miniquests and minigames such as being able to sign up as a Pokemon Ranger and run errands and rescue missions that have Adventure-style puzzle solving conditions.

4) To maximize replay value, it'd be nice to implement randomly generated optional dungeons like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon that depend on building a team for exploration and survival.

Basically, a non-linear sandbox style gameplay collection of various optional tasks, with only one actually necessary to see an "ending" of sorts would work best, in my opinion.

Basically, to do what the anime has done with changing regions. You can only take low levelled Pokemon and can't access your older Pokemon until you beat the gym challenge and thus, all of a sudden, the problem that ruined G/S/C is gone and you potentially have one of the best Pokemon games made.
    This is a good solution too. The alternative being a silding scale of power for each Gym Leader, with say - 20 different teams or so being programmed for each one that would change depending on the levels of the player's Pokemon.
    Up the airy mountains / Down the rushy Glen /
    We dare not go a-hunting / For fear of Fairy-type Pokémon

Also, everytime you went too a region you would be given a choice of one of the starters.

BUT, you couldn't pick more then one of a type. So when you get too 4th Region, you get the lowest form of that region's "Dragonite".

I wouldn't. Don't like a single idea here.

GSC had Johto and a bit of a reference and bit of nostalgia thrown in with new Kanto. Not full two regions. Just one.

Really, I feel disgusted by the idea of all this. I really really do.

Your Local Hero Charmander to the rescue's Avatar

Then why bother posting. I really liked Zeta's ideas (which is a change). I would like to include the Orange islands like Holly Jolly Habunake suggested. I would add in a way to customise your character and a way to battle in online tournaments (wi-fi) which could act a bit like the E4. Also it would be great to see Johto again.
    P.S. Buying your own ranch would give the games an addictive Harvest Moon-style as well. Maybe we should become Computer programmers.
    Ever go on the RPG's on Bulbagarden, things like Pokemon Kingdom or the Hidden Series. Yes? Then Join the RPG club at:http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/showthread.php?t=16773

For a cool, customized trainer card head to: http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f237/taking-requests-trainer-cards-16890/

my website: http://charmanderman.proboards92.com

SOVA: There's always hope!!!

when you need more, have+ bell02+'s Avatar

At this point I want to see a side game with multiple regions. I still believe the main games sould have lots of things to do after completing (maybe even a second new region would be very interesting) however, it may be in Nintendo's best interest to pull a trick kind of by making an "online" RPG.

Its not a MMO, however more of a different kind were friends can randomly show in the same area and can stay in the same game until a parting command, disconnecting off the net, moving two buildings over, or a fly command is done sperately. Also adding to where completion of a point allows for random non-FC trainers to also appear (with edited speech) to allow for some battles and trade. Along with Battle Tower and fronteir games opening up.

However, for multiple regions, having the game come with Kanto, and Johto and allowing other regions to be purchased or special edition unlocked: For example, Trading or playing with a Gen4 game lets you get Sinnou, and while you get Hoenn from trading a legendary from Gen 3. While later you can purchase additions of Fiore and Orre (from the past) as with new regions in the future. It would be the Formula of an MMO without the annoyances of one, still keeping Gamefreak and Nintendo with money. (Of course... I see this as a joint effort of Hal labs and GS, with feed back from gamefreak... so it won't really be GF's game...)

Know what I'd do? I'd involve a train or maybe even a plane! You would have airports or train stations. I'd change the design of the cities a bit...lets stay on topic. I'd involve Kento, Johto, Hoenn, Orange Islands and maybe Sinnoh. But the good thing about the Gold, Silver and Crystal games is that you can go to the Johto AND Kento regions. But answering to the main topic, I wouldn't really know what I'd do.
    If at first you don't succeed, you're not Chuck Norris.

Banner and Trainer Card made by Yodester

Why I bother posting? Because I want to show my opinion on a multiregional game.

The main reason why I dislike the idea is of course, my anime bias. So, making an Orange Islands thing does not sound good for me.

I find the idea of visiting all regions odd because all the regions so far are completely made to be a road forward with stops and forks.

I am not partial really on adding so many minigames to pokemon.

But I think I am allowed to say my opinion on the subject right? Or is that too much to ask Char? If not, forgive me as I did not know that all negative opinions on the subject weren't allowed.

Red face

I would, as has been said several times, make it similar to the anime series. I think that choosing the region that you start in would be quite cool, as that way you can play the game in a more, until i get a better word, "random" way. I think that the gyms would play a big part in it and possible when it comes to the pokemon league, more trainers, maybe before or maybe not even including the elite four. i feel that the elite four would need a part, maybe once all regions are done, to really test you, a bit like battle frontier? Possibly, more choices of how to play eg, breeder...meet online more to help other trainers with leveling up?

Personally I think that a MMORPG would be quite cool, on the Wii, but hey it will never happen and thats just me. Though can't help but wish!

Oh, but I think a MMORPG is in Pokémon's future . . maybe not it's near future, but it's future, after all, Nintendo handheld is going to get to a point where the current graphics on the DS is as the graphics are on the original GB compared to the DS. If they continued to make RPG's with the classic style, it might throw people off and get the younger kids of that gen. to complain how the graphics are old and outdated, and they'd eventually have to move somewhere else . . I think MMO is the place to go, at least for one game or something.

But anyways, back on topic, I'd include all the regions, and all of them would be complete stories, not like Kanto in G/S/C was, and it would be more like the anime, like Doctor Oak said, you would have to take low level pokémon into a new region, and it would be just like starting over . . and I wouldn't make the Leauge just the E4. I'd include the E4, but also expand it. They need actual tournaments, and not just contests . . which can't really be said is a tournament (I've heard people call it that and I'm just like NO.)

Well I'm glad I'm not alone with the MMORPG idea!

I like the idea of taking low lvl pokemon to the new regions too, would make it more challanging rather than take ur team thats just wipped the E4!

I agree with the "new start per region" idea.

Also, the title you ask?

Pokemon:Grand Journey. Or something like that.

Whoa, just realized that the title above sounds like the show on Cartoon Network called, "One Piece."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast