How Do You Play?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Play?

Default How Do You Play?

When you're playing, what is it that you're trying to accomplish? Speed? Pokédex completion? Training for battles?

For me, I do a sort of speed play. Not like one where you essentially use only one pokémon, but one where you train six equally and beat the Elite Four as fast as you can. I usually don't do anything with trading (though I might make an exception in Crystal just for a Mareep). Best on RS is 17:29 and best on FRLG is going to be something under 15:00 if I can find it. I still need to finish my second run on DP to see what it will be. Should be under 23 hours, but it's only my second run through DP.

This isn't to say where you are. It's to say what it is that you're doing. Although you can put your previous accomplishments as well.

Blog Entries

Typically, I play in a meandering way, wandering through the game, not looking to rush or to fill my Pokedex. I'm usually pretty lax about getting through the games and thus am usually underleveled when I get to the Elite Four.

However, I do like doing minimalistic adventures where I try to beat the game with as few Pokemon as possible (preferably with only one getting XP). My current record is in FireRed with a time of 10:59 using a Squirtle/Wartortle/Blastoise and having an Oddish around for Cut purposes.

I'm planning on repeating this effort in Emerald with a Mudkip as a starter and only grabbing a Slakoth for HMs.

When Platinum comes out, I'll probably try the speed run again after doing some research into what starter to pick (probably Piplup) and what other Pokemon I'll need to get around.

I play with my DS.

*gone*

I see myself as more of a collector and trainer. I spent a good 2 months trading people through wifi collecting all the legendary Pokemon that I could not get myself, and not just the legendary pokemon as is, I would make sure each one was totally untouched, unnicknamed, not caught in a timerball and unhacked... I KNOW, I was defiantly a pain to trade with. Don't even get me started on how I got a Darkrai off wifi (I live in Canada... Toy's 'R Us didn't do the event) I traded a: Latios, Lugia, Ho-oh, Jirachi and Celebi JUST FOR A DARKRAI, believe me it was either that or no Darkrai.

And as for Trainer, well there's 2 sides to this possibly even 3, ok:

first off I clone every legendary I get so I will always have an Untouched one either to clone again for trading purposes or just to revel in the thought of others jealousy :D and of course these ones I DO NOT train at all. (this little fact makes the trade I made for Darkrai I mentioned above just a little less insane) And I should just say that I HATE CLONING WITH A PASSION!! It takes hours of mindless waiting and watching and so much boredom.. oh the boredom... the amount of time it took me to clone those pokemon for the darkrai trade was literally hours, around 4 or 5, I almost threw my DS at the wall multiple times, I visualized cracking the thing in two or stabbing the screens with a pen... ohhh, those delicious hallucinations are what kept me from actually acting out those scenarios. I have no idea how other people do it! maybe the other people I have talked to are just gifted at this pointless skill or perhaps I'm just the under-skilled moron who just doesn't get it... either way I'm never cloning ANYTHING FOR ANYONE, EVER AGAIN!

*ehem... back to not grinding me teeth in RUE!*

Second I actually train the cloned ones to lv.100 whenever I'm bored (believe me I've only trained 1 to level 100, it just gets so monotonous that you can't continue unless you simply have the urge to) and I give them the best possible moves for strategy and power.

I guess there is a third if not the fourth, I actually have spent a really long time obtaining and training a non-legendary team just incase someone wants to have a non-legendary battle. I actually pride myself in how amazing this team actually is (not giving away any secrets).

And so ends my short novel about TWO things that I do in Pokemon Pearl... *runs to Walmart to see if they sell lives... woo hoo they're on sale!*
    From the gospel according to The Squdge

Collect the Pokemon along the way, and as many as possible while leveling up a specific couple of Pokemon. Pokemon who have the type of attacks I need and not terrible base stats. Like say, a Quilava, Kadabra, and a Chinchou for second gen would be my trio of Pokemon for a long time with a couple of HM slaves in the back just in case. Speed isn't really an issue, though of course the objective is clear as day. Actually haven't played fourth gen, getting a DS just to look at my characters bad outfit and all the rather, sorry, but ridiculous looking fourth gens doesn't really appeal to me. But anyway, back on track, spending time looking for some rarer Pokemon in the wild not in my Pokedex gives my time to wail on some wild Pokemon, and boost my levels in the process. Only in gen 3 Emerald, when I had to fight the beastly electric gym leader did I have a problem. Most frustrating gym I've ever been to... I don't think the game even introduces ground types until after you beat him, stupid thing. But anyway, yeah, after the elite four goes down, there's not many more Pokemon for me to catch then. Won't take me long to Catch 'em All!

I have very specific way I play post-elite four.

For starters, I have a fixed team.
    I normaly prune back my Pokemon's levels so that they stay near the same level as eachother. This is so nobody gets left at such a low level that they might struggle to catch up.

The exception of this is my starter, which I normaly encourage to grow stronger then the rest of my team.

I always enjoyed training more then catching. Sure, I enjoy the excitment of a good capture now and again, but nothing beats training the Pokemon I already have to be the best they can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Draconian View Post
    Actually haven't played fourth gen, getting a DS just to look at my characters bad outfit and all the rather, sorry, but ridiculous looking fourth gens doesn't really appeal to me.
    I have a hat like that... :bawling:

Anyways, I usually play through the game casually, catching pokemon I feel will be useful to me and that I like. occasionally these may be switched, like when I swapped golem for lucario. because of this I have no problems with gym leaders or the elite four, usually beating them handily with under-leveled pokemon, such as how I beat the G/S/C elite four with mere level 30's. Afterwards I go mental and go on a crystal-like catching spree, capturing anything and everything that moves.

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I grab my favorites/Pokemon I know to be good, and train well to be ready for any surprises, never mind that I usually have a balanced team by then. I'll even powerlevel if I'm desprate.
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

I just go trough the game,having a team from pokemon I am intrested in.
    I catch a bit for fun,but I almost never train a pokemon I caught.

In the pokemon leagune I ussually abuse the X stat items in DP,mostly because the pokemon leagune is so high leveled the first time,and getting money is so easy.

Blog Entries

I play mostly for experimental purposes; only hand-picking my personal favorites and training them to ridiculous extremes to check out their strength. Of course, there are at least 2 Pokemon in each game that are my team staples (namely Charizard, Espeon, Gardevoir and Octillery in that order).
    [avatar: pixiv]

the ultimate fire primate flaming infernape's Avatar
    Spear Pillar, taking over the Torn world and making Sinnoh colder by the minute

When I play through, I like using all three starters if I can and go through normally, catching anything that really sparks my interest for later, then go collecting them all after I beat the elite 4. Now I'm even taking it a little further and training a few pokemon even higher than just letting them rot in a box (Starters, legendaries, shinies, etc.), and doing a little breeding once in a while.

I try to go shiny hunting occasionally, but I suck at it and don't have that much patience for more than one attempt at a time. :(

I mostly just meander my way through the game at whatever pace I feel like...making sure to pick up every single hidden item along the way, of course. I try to fill my team with Pokemon that I haven't used before so that I don't get bored with using the same ones over and over again, and using different Pokemon does give you a broader viewpoint for battling, in my opinon. I'm trying to let myself change my team once I've gotten past the third badge or so(since I've usually gotten a team of six by then), mostly because I tend to never use certain late-game Pokemon otherwise.

I also avoid wild Pokemon battles as much as possible, but that mostly stems from being too lazy to do an extra fifty fights per route.

--- Last.fm---

I get through the game, beat the Elite Four, do any side quests that I might have missed, than I work on my Pokedex. Now that I know about EVs, I might be doing a little EV training too.

my sweet lord... Swampert tamer's Avatar

I usually play the pokemon games at a slow pace, and I always try to complete the highest number of side quests as possible before challenging the Elite Four. Usually I never beat the Elite Four before at least 60:00 of play time... because I like to battle the trainers a lot (with that pokenav feature) and I like to explore the seas and underwater. Besides, I never take any legendary pokemon with me to the pokemon league... I prefer to use the pokemon that I've trained since the beginning of the adventure.
    Also, after beating the league and a few side quests I go to the Battle Frontier for the ultimate competitive battling challenge!!!

The pokedex quest, however... is one that I'll never complete... xD
    Since everyone these days has one of these, I'm going to put mine too...

On a funny note, I made this personality test on 3 different ocasions and the pokemon I got every single time was Togetic so this can't be very wrong...

Very Fine Dodger
    Blog Entries

I just try to complete my Pokedex after beating the Elite Four by evolving my pokemon, using the Pokeradar, and by trading.
    I have dodged many things, but that is not why I am a dodger. I just like wearing striped shirts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast