GEN IV: Is it good?

Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By tridianprime
  • 5 Post By Orion-Sama
  • 2 Post By Yato
  • 4 Post By randomspot555

Thread: Is it good?

Default Is it good?

Hi, I recentily started playing pokemon games again (haven't played since gen 3) with Y and I really loved it, so I started to wonder if I should play the others games that I'd miss, starting in gen 4, I already plan on playing HG/SS, but i what about D/P/Pt? are they worth it?

Default Re: Is it good?

I really liked the Pokemon so yes, i definitely recommend it. I played Diamond and i have got near 550 hours on it. It's not as good as ruby imo but still good.
    TheDoctor likes this.

Blog Entries

First and foremost, go with Platinum. Avoid Diamond/Pearl like the plague. They're atrocious and slow. Platinum has the complete plot and fixes everything wrong with the pair versions.

That said, I consider Platinum among the 5 best games in the series, so it's definitely worth it. The story is quite interesting and intense, especially the climax. There's several features like the Battle Frontier, Super Contests, and other time-wasters like the Villa, which is surprisingly engaging. The Sinnoh Region is vast and pretty intrincate, so there's a lot to explore and see. I also find the characterization in these games to be above par for Pokémon standards, going a bit deeper on Gym Leaders and Elite Four compared to other games. In fact the narrative and characterization is in my opinion vastly superior than XY. Not to say it was bad, but it really had several weak points by comparison.

Platinum will also help you get some Pokémon you can't get otherwise in XY, though you'll need also a 5th Gen game to cross transfer them all the way. Still, Platinum is an excellent game in its own merits, and I highly recommend it.
    lol I got bored.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

I agree with the above post. Platinum is way better than Diamond and Pearl. The base story is similar so you won't miss out much, but it has an extensive dex, and much more things to do post game. Also, the trainer battles, gym battles, league battles are probably the most toughest out of the entire series so if you're looking for a challenge, Platinum is right for you.

Sinnoh is kind of the basis for the "modern" Pokemon game. It went to great lengths to get the Gym Leaders OUT of the Gym and actually doing something. I think it's the first game where you encounter all the gym leaders outside of the gym (besides re-matches) at least once during the game. You had a pretty good rival, a decent plot, and the Champion is out and about a lot as well. You've got an entire island to explore after the main game wraps up and the Battle Frontier is centralized rather than spread throughout an island like it was in Hoenn. There's a few little odds and ends located in the Sinnoh region that make it worth playing long after the generation ended, such as the Magikarp Pool.

There's some very, very minor differences in plot between DP and Plat (the opening TV show is slightly different, and in DP you kind of steal your starter whereas in Plat they're given to you). But as others have said, Plat fixed everything wrong with DP and added a bunch as well.

That being said, I'd recommend working backwards and go with Gen 5 games before playing Gen 4. That way, if you do end up getting Gen 4 later, you'll be able to transfer your 4 stuff to 5 and 5 to 6.

But if you're not concerned about transferring Pokemon from other gens, then yeah, start with 4 if you want. I'd recommend getting Platinum first and then getting HGSS. Between those 2 games, you'll have access to all 4 generations of starters and the vast majority of Legendary Pokemon that are available up until that point in the series. There's a lot to catch and a lot to do.

Thanks everyone! It's decided then, when I can I'll get Pokemon Platinum and avoid Diamond/Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by randomspot555 View Post
    That being said, I'd recommend working backwards and go with Gen 5 games before playing Gen 4. That way, if you do end up getting Gen 4 later, you'll be able to transfer your 4 stuff to 5 and 5 to 6.
    I thought of doing that, but I really want to play HG/SS (I loved G/S/C) so I thought of playing also de other gen 4 games and then go through gen 5

I am recently starting to play Pokemon after a two year hiatus. The reason I stopped (yes, stupid move on my part) was actually because I was reading to many creepypastas and they creeped me out lol. Yeah, that was a fun generation, HG/SS was too. I think my favorite of all though was the Hoenn region games (I started with the third generation).
    ">

Special thanks to SparkStatic for the banner!

Soul Silver FC: 0562 1311 2691

Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

To add to what other people are saying, DP's dex was lacking in certain types. For instance, besides the starter, your only choice for a Fire type was Rapidash. Platinum fixed this by adding 60 more Pokemon to the Dex.

But yes, I'd consider Platinum and HGSS to be among the best games in the series, definitely go play them.