Right, I finally beat Yellow (my first time, actually--never too late!) and now am starting on Generation II (Generation III maybe--but because of the e-Reader nonsense, incompatibility with previous generations, hostility to GameShark, we won't get into that), so the question now lies: should I play Gold or Crystal?
Before you say "Crystal" as a knee-jerk reaction, here are some things to note:
- A few years back I played Gold up to Red, could never beat him though. Had a good team built up, though, with Ampharos and a few others.
- My nostalgia heart lies with Gold. Crystal seems a bit unfamiliar (no GONG-GONG-GONG with the Shellder at the bottom of the sea)
- There were some additional things to do to Crystal, such as catching Suicune (sp?) before Ho-Oh, or something like that. Don't know if I'd really like that...
- I wouldn't be too broken up if there was no Battle Tower, but it would be nice.
- I have no desire to play as the female trainer.
- I like the pose of Gold (his name is not Ethan) in Gold, not Crystal
- The battle animations were a bit annoying (I thought)
- There's no Mareep in Crystal.
- I have a GameShark 2.1, which I hope to use with Crystal--if nothing else, the Celebi event.
- I have a "Mega Memory Card", which can be used for classic Game Boy games (backup saves). That way I could use Gold in theory...but then I wouldn't have it as a trading partner.
- The batteries (clock) for Crystal and Gold are both dead, so I have to set the clock manually each time. A curse or a blessing? You decide!