Glitches

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glitches

Lightbulb Glitches

Hey,
    post any glitches (positive or negative) that you know here. Also, could you tell me what legendary in emerald is the best?

-Blaziken fire

Blog Entries

Missingno is the most famous glitch, I'm sure you've heard of it. It appears in different forms in all generations (it is not known if the 4th Gen has a Missingno yet, however) but the original, true Missingno appears in Red and Blue. In RB it appears in one of four forms: a glitchy block of pixels with what looks like an eye and half a mouth (sometimes known as 'M or Chip-M-Block), the Lavender Town ghost, and the Aerodactyl and Kabutops fossils from Pewter City. The Ghost and Fossil forms are triggered by having certain letters in certain places in your name.

In GSC the Missingnos were only accessible through GameShark codes that would accidentally trigger them. They were mostly glitched jumbles of town pieces that turned into cross-cuts of the items list when you attempted to capture them.

The third generation has two Missingnos: one is the ? in a black circle that appears as a placeholder in the Pokédex (which is GameShark only as well) and a blocky ??, which is said to appear randomly in the wild but very rarely.

My favorite glitch, however, is Glitch City, triggered in RB by a secret code involving the Safari Zone and in GSC by catching a Missingno.

trsrockin.com has lots of info on all glitches. I couldn't recommend a better site to research them.

The Missingno Glitch will never be surpassed.

Blog Entries
    Follow Turtle Tamer Kammy On Twitter Add Turtle Tamer Kammy on Google+
    Follow Turtle Tamer Kammy on Tumblr Follow Turtle Tamer Kammy on Flickr

That glitch gave me the heebie jeebies. I think I was 12, but I just remember being freaked out. But having 139 or however many master balls and rare candies eased the pain. :D

Also... do you know the characters needed to trigger the fossils and ghosts? I've never heard of or seen that.
    *this space for rent*

Blog Entries

As per TRsRockin.com:

-Ghost Missingno is triggered when you have a "Y" in the 3rd, 5th, or 7th space in your name.

-Aerodactyl Fossil Missingno is triggered when you have an "X" in the 3rd, 5th, or 7th space.

-Kabutops Fossil Missingno is triggered when "W" is in the 3rd, 5th, or 7th space.

As an added bonus, if you have a name with all three---as in one with Y in the 3rd, X in the 5th and W in the 7th---ALL THREE Missingnos will appear.

Emerald cloning glitch.

Blog Entries

There was also a pokemon cloning glitch in GS.
    *this space for rent*

Plusle98889

I'm surprised that no one posted this yet. In Pearl, there's a glitch where you can enter the first room of the Elite Four. Then turn back around and you can surf right back through the wall. I don't know any exact steps for how to do this, but you can get Darkrai and Sheimi from doing this. You can also beat the Elite Four without actually beating it. :P (Note: This may only be for the Japanese version and when the U.S. version comes out the bug may be fixed.) There's a video on Youtube about it. Could someone post a link; I'm lazy. :P Also I don't know if it's in Diamond or not as I do not know much about this glitch. I'm waiting for the U.S.version of the game to get it so I can't try it out.

Oh I remember my first Missingno. incounter.

.......I caught it. :/ with the masterball

..WTF XDD
    But after that I became a 'M and Missingno. whore XD
    I am and forever will be a Pegasus J. Crawford (Yu-Gi-Oh!) Fan.
    Wanna be my friend? ^__^ <3 Rocketshipping.
    http://www.yushimi.deviantart.com
    Add me on devART! <3

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketto-Dan View Post
    Oh I remember my first Missingno. incounter.

.......I caught it. :/ with the masterball

..WTF XDD
    But after that I became a 'M and Missingno. whore XD
    *Points to banner in sig in a blatant and vain act of self-promotion ^_^*

That creepy feeling... Typhlosion In Repose's Avatar

Has anyone heard of glitch city?
    In red/blue, go to the safari zone. Go in, and then immediatly leave. When the warden asks if you want to quit your challenge, say no. You will go back in. Save. Go back out. The warden will ask if you want to take the safari challenge, say no. You exit the building. Now fly anywhere ( the coastline where missingno. is found seems to work the best). Once you maxed out the number of steps, the warden will call you (yeah, outside the safari zone) and you will be transported to the entrance of the zone. Leave. You should be in fusia city, but you are now in glitch city. It is hard getting around; if you are stuch, use an HM. You can sometimes surf in the most random places.
    You also can get Mew in r/b.
    Early in the game, there is a boy next to bill's house who has a slowpoke. DO NOT FIGHT HIM! There is also a gambeler directly down from the enterance to the underground passage from lavender town-celadon. DO NOT FIGHT HIM YET! Later in the game, after you learn fly, return to the tunnel from the celadon side. When you get out, dont move. SAVE! Now take a step foreward and immediatly pause the game. Fly to cerulean. Your menu will not work. Go to the boy w/ the slowpoke and fight him. After that, start will work again. Fly to lavender town and save. Now go to the route left of the radio tower. You will automatically be confronted with a lv. 30 mew. Congrats!
    And as I sit and talk to you,
    I see your face grow white.
    The shadow hanging over me is no trick of the light.
    The specter on my back will soon be free.
    The dead have come to claim a debt from thee.

Blog Entries

Glitch city was teh awesome!!!
    *this space for rent*

I'm a Dialga Maniac Time Charge's Avatar

Exclamation Notice!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Goat's_Nectar View Post
    You also can get Mew in r/b.
    Early in the game, there is a boy next to bill's house who has a slowpoke. DO NOT FIGHT HIM! There is also a gambeler directly down from the enterance to the underground passage from lavender town-celadon. DO NOT FIGHT HIM YET! Later in the game, after you learn fly, return to the tunnel from the celadon side. When you get out, dont move. SAVE! Now take a step foreward and immediatly pause the game. Fly to cerulean. Your menu will not work. Go to the boy w/ the slowpoke and fight him. After that, start will work again. Fly to lavender town and save. Now go to the route left of the radio tower. You will automatically be confronted with a lv. 30 mew. Congrats!
    Okay, yeah, firstly it's Red, Blue, and Yellow, they can all do this cheat, I testify from experience out in the field.

Secondly, the Youngster in question is at the halfway point to Bill's House, he's not even near it. There are two youngsters on that route with one near Bill's House, so don't confuse the people reading this, because that kid is semi-essential to the cheat. I say semi essential because although he is rather nessesary for the cheat to work, the cheat can continue multiple times without him. I say this because I have two Mews, a Magmar, a Pinsir, a Tauros, a Nidorino, a Nidoking, a Nidoqueen, and another Ivysaur, just to name a few from this cheat and was currently working up to a Mewtwo before I beat the League.

Thirdly, it's Start Menu, simply Start, or at the very least, Pause Menu.

And lastly, the Mew you find is on Lv. 7 and only knows pound, not much of a threat, the level 30 Mew is the one you find on Faraway Island in Emerald Version. This detail is important to be aware of because the move False Swipe did not yet exist, and if you brought a near or above Lv. 30 Pokemon to contend with the Mew this glitch conjures up, chances are you'd accidentally kill it.

Here's a semi-official guide to the cheat:

How to Catch Mew in Pok&#233;mon Red/Blue/Yellow
    Yes, believe it or not, it can be done without a GameShark or other cheating device. Here's what you'll need to do:

You may need to restart your game, and play until you get HM02 Fly from the house west of Celadon City.
    DO NOT fight the following trainers:
    The Youngster with a Slowpoke (Level 17) on the road to Bill's house (Route 25). He is the fourth trainer after you cross Nugget Bridge, standing directly above a female trainer and facing north.
    The Gambler with two Poliwags and a Poliwhirl (all Level 22) between Lavender Town and Saffron City (Route 8). He is standing just east of the entrance to Saffron City, facing north toward the door of the Underground Path.
    Carefully follow the series of steps illustrated below.

Make sure you have a Pok&#233;mon that knows Fly. On Route 8, stand in front of the door of the Underground Path. Save your game, since saving after this point will disrupt the procedure.
    Walk down one step and immediately press Start. If you succeed, the menu will pop up before the Gambler "sees" you. Go to the Pok&#233;mon list and fly to Cerulean City.
    The Gambler will see you just before you fly away.
    Your Start button will no longer function. Go north across Nugget Bridge and head east until you find the Youngster described above.
    If you walk right up to the Youngster, the game will lock up, so you'll have to let him see you and walk up to you. Defeat his Slowpoke (afterwards, your Start button will work again), then fly to Lavender Town.
    Head west into Route 8.
    As soon as you enter the narrow path, the menu will pop up by itself, I suggest using this time to resoluteley prepare your party or the pokemon you'll be using for the encounter. Press B to exit...
    ...and look who it is! Mew will be at Level 7 and its only attack will be Pound. Pok&#233;ball, go!

Once you've caught Mew, you can save your game without any ill-effects.

There are two alternative ways to enter Route 8 and trigger Mew after beating the Youngster. If you have access to Saffron City, you can fly there and go through the eastern city gate. Also, you can fly to Celadon City, head east to Route 7, enter the Underground Path, and emerge back in front of the Gambler.

Finally, the Route 8 Gambler isn't the only trainer that can initiate the trick. The Super Nerd just west of him can also do it, as can the second Fisherman you meet when heading south from Lavender on Route 12. There are numerous others; basically, any trainer who is scrolled onto the screen by the same step that puts you in their vision range will work. However, remember that the final battle with Mew will only be triggered by returning to whatever route that trainer is in, which is not necessarily Route 8.

Thanks to TheScythe from the GameFAQs message boards for the information on how to do this.

You can also get detailed information on how this trick works, as well as how it can be used to catch any Pok&#233;mon in the game.

You can download save files from the start of this procedure to use on a GameBoy emulator here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How the Mew Trick Works
    If you're not a geek, you don't wank to read this. :)

When you use Fly to get away from the Gambler, the game somehow "remembers" that a battle is supposed to be taking place on Route 8. This is what causes your Start button to stop working. The rest of the trick hinges on a twelve-byte section of memory, starting at memory location CD22 in Yellow (CD23 in Red/Blue), which contains the stats of the last Pok&#233;mon you fought. After you battle the Youngster, it will have these hexadecimal values:

8E 11 00 3C 00 1E 00 1D 00 1C 00 15
    The first byte (8E) seems to be the same for all battles.
    The second byte (11) is the enemy's level (17 in decimal).
    The next ten bytes are the enemy's stats (HP/Attack/Defense/Speed/Special). Each stat takes up two bytes.
    Additionally, this section of memory is surrounded by eight bytes on each side, which all have the value 07.

The last byte (15) in Yellow memory location CD2D (CD2E in Red/Blue) is the important one. It is the "least significant byte" of the enemy Pok&#233;mon's Special stat; in this case, it means that the enemy has a Special of 21 in standard decimal notation.

When you return to Route 8, the game tries to resume the battle that was interrupted before. For reasons unknown, it borrows byte CD2D to use as the species identifier for the enemy Pok&#233;mon, and the next byte to use as its level. If the last battle you fought was with the Youngster, these bytes will be 15 and 07. Since Mew's hexadecimal identifier is 15, you will fight a Level 7 Mew.

How to Catch Any Pok&#233;mon
    Now that you know how the trick works, you can use it to catch other Pok&#233;mon. Fighting the Youngster will always result in a Mew encounter because his Slowpoke has a Special of 21 (15 in hex). But if you fight something else before returning to Route 8, it will change which Pok&#233;mon you encounter.

Let's say you foolishly choose a starting Pok&#233;mon other than Bulbasaur and want to make up for it. Bulbasaur's hex number is 99, which converts to 153 in decimal. Now, you could fight a wild Pok&#233;mon with a Special of 153, but the only place to find that is on a Level 64 Chansey in the Unknown Dungeon, and those Chansey are quite rare. Worse, they only have a one-in-sixteen chance of having the right Special. Fortunately, there is a solution: Ditto's Transform, which copies the stats of the opponent.

This means that you can catch any Pok&#233;mon in the game by following these steps:

Catch/raise a Pok&#233;mon with the proper Special stat (153 for Bulbasaur). You can find a complete list of which decimal value is needed for each Pok&#233;mon here.
    Fly away from the Gambler battle.
    Fight any trainer that can see you from a distance and walk up to you. (This is necessary to both unlock your Start button and trigger the Route 8 battle.)
    Find a wild Ditto and let it Transform into your Pok&#233;mon with the proper Special.
    Beat the Ditto (or just run away) and immediately fly to Lavender Town without fighting anything else.
    Enter Route 8, and Bulbasaur (or whatever) will appear.
    Note that since only the least significant of the two Special bytes is used for this, you can also add 256 to the values listed above and use that Special to get the same Pok&#233;mon. This is important because there are a few Pok&#233;mon, such as Kangaskhan, whose identifying value is lower than the minimum Special that any Pok&#233;mon can have. In Kangaskhan's case, you can find her by using a Special of 258 (2 + 256).
    Also note that when you perform this trick, any trainers you fight after the Gambler will be "used up." Make sure you have enough unused trainers to catch all the Pok&#233;mon you want! Fortunately, the Gambler can be used to initiate the trick an unlimited number of times.

There are also alternate methods of getting Mew through this glitch, as described by Wikipedia:

The Mew Glitch is a software bug in Pok&#233;mon Red, Blue, and Yellow games. This glitch is famous because it allows you to get catch any Pok&#233;mon in the game, most notably Mew, without a GameShark or other hacking device -- and method #3 allows you to catch ANY Pokemon in the game (even rare, previously unknown glitchy Pokemon such as LM4 and X - x.)

Method #1
    To acquire Mew at the earliest point possible in the game, one must not have defeated the Youngster on Route 25 or the Junior Trainer on Route 24 in the grass. It is prudent to save before doing this. Defeat Nugget Bridge as per the usual, then fight your way to the Youngster but do not fight him.

Return to Route 24 and catch (or trade over) an Abra. Place the Abra in your party, then return to Route 24 if you weren't there already. Stand above the Junior Trainer, but out of range of his sight. Move down until he sees you, but when he does, immediately press Start. Then use Teleport with your new Abra. If done correctly, the trainer should get the indicative exclamation mark as you Teleport.

After that, head north to the Youngster and have him spot you and then defeat him. Do not fight anything else, or talk to anyone before you do. (This includes the Youngster! You must engage in battle by him spotting you, and don't even walk up to him either. For some reason that causes a lock-up.)

After defeating the Youngster, teleport back to Cerulean again. Head north onto Nugget Bridge with some Balls, and when you get to the bridge, your start menu should pop up. Press B and you should engage in a fight against a level seven Mew, and it is fairly easy to catch.

Method #2
    Go to the gambler just east of Saffron City, in front of the Underground Tunnel entrance. Go north of him so that he is just off screen, save, and then as you walk south one step, just before he sees you, press start immediately. If he saw you, try over again. If it worked, the menu will appear and you will be able to Fly, Dig, or Teleport (flying is easiest). Fly to Cerulean City and while you are flying the exclamation point that usually appears ontop of a trainer will appear. Go to route 24 and defeat the trainer with one Slowpoke. Make sure he walks up to you, or the game will freeze. Defeat his Slowpoke, then fly to Lavender Town and walk west. Mew will appear.

Method #3
    Go to the Gambler just east of Saffron City, OR go to either the biker in western route 14 or the one just below him (there are two of them together). Have the trainer off screen, walk up to him and immidiately press start before the trainer can see you. Then fly to Fuschia City. Go east to route 15 and make sure a Pokemon with a special stat of 21 is with you. Have that Pokemon first in your party. Battle a trainer (ANY trainer in the game) and then run into a wild Ditto, and make sure it transforms into your Pokemon with the 21 special stat. Then defeat the ditto. After this, do not run into any other wild Pokemon and do not battle any other trainers. Go back to the route where the trainer you originally evaded is located (for the gambler, east of Saffron, for the bikers, route 14). Press B and Mew will appear. Method #3 can be used to catch any Pokemon in the game, even Missingno. in the Yellow version. For example, in the Red/Blue versions, if a Pokemon with a special stat of 198 is used, a glitch called "LM4" will appear instead of Mew.

(Important note: in the Red/Blue versions, Ditto will be found in Route 15. In the Yellow version, Ditto will be found in the Cinnabar Island Mansion's basement. Due to this, players in the Yellow version should NOT go to Route 15, but instead go to the Cinnabar Island Mansion's basement. It is recommened to bring an escape rope or repel to use immidiately after seeing Ditto, so that the player won't mess up the glitch by seeing the wrong Pokemon.)

The glitch in fact works as follows: Any trainer can be used for the first section (Junior Trainer), as long as the trainer can be engaged with by them getting an exclamation point above their heads. Any movement move (Teleport, Dig, Fly) can be used to trigger the glitch. For the Youngster, any Pok&#233;mon will do as long as it can be fought without walking up to a trainer. To finish off the glitch, you must return to the route of the trainer you "evaded". The Pok&#233;mon that you will find wild is dependent on the Special stat of the Pok&#233;mon you last faced (wild or from the trainer), and so using a Pok&#233;mon with the Special you need and finding a Ditto that transforms will produce an identical effect. For the record, the required Special stat for Mew is 21 (This is based on hexadecimal numbers, so you can get the appropriate number for a different Pok&#233;mon from a hacking device code list, then translate it to decimal).

I hope this has both cleared things up, and enlightened you regarding the Mew glitch.

This has been the 5 o'Clock news, with news anchor Time Charge, have a good day and drive safely
    Last edited by Time Charge; 26th January 2007 at 03:58 AM.

Blog Entries

*Head explodes*

Some people need lives. The people who figure out how this stuff works, for one.
    LJ~dA~R100~YT~Twitter~Facebook~Last.fm~Tumblr~Glacidia Network

A bitch lives as free as a bird that can never be caught. I'm a bitch. I'll crush anyone that stands in my way! And I do what the hell I want!

I'm a Dialga Maniac Time Charge's Avatar

Thumbs up your problem, solved

Quote Originally Posted by Blaziken fire View Post
    Hey,
    post any glitches (positive or negative) that you know here. Also, could you tell me what legendary in emerald is the best?

-Blaziken fire
    Easy, Groudon, it is end all, of all, of Physical Attack Titans. Plus, it looks friggin' badass! And that's not even considering it's "hard to believe, its so friggin' good" moveset, which is as follows:

Level up Moves:

Mud Shot - Basic
    Scary Face - lvl 5
    AncientPower - lvl 15
    Slash - lvl 20
    Bulk Up - lvl 30
    Earthquake - lvl 35
    Fire Blast - lvl 45
    Rest - lvl 50
    Fissure - lvl 60
    Solarbeam - lvl 65
    Eruption - lvl 75