Generation 3 - Page 3

View Poll Results: What do you think of Gen III?

Voters
180. You may not vote on this poll
  • Awesome!

125 69.44%
  • Suckish...

14 7.78%
  • It's ok...

41 22.78%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Generation 3

Default Re: Generation 3

This was the point in the series where I stopped playing for almost a decade. I don't even own any games from this generation.

I remember when my brother bought Ruby, and I played it out of curiosity. I was so disappointed. I didn't really like the new Pokemon, and the general feel of it. Most of all, I hated that you couldn't trade with the older games.

The cartoon had officially become 100% unbearable for me by then, and all of my Pokemon-related stuff was packed away in a box and thrown in the closet. I figured it was just something I'd grown out of and I never expected to be playing the games again, but my cousins got me to start playing the DS games later on.
    Last edited by 7487857; 22nd March 2010 at 02:52 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1998 View Post
    The cartoon had officially become 100% unbearable by then,
    Except Ash's AG hat rocked. Green = win.

Never got into it. Didn't like the look of the new Poke's bar Deoxys which you can't get without cheating...
    Why read this? There's nothing here. But since you made the journey here's a dancing banana

I won't bite... much. SharKing's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow SharKing On Twitter
    Visit SharKing's Youtube Channel

I really liked Generation III (and you can guess I'm mad at the hateful, biased review by YeOldeJacob for bashing it). It introduced many things that improved the series; double battles, a manageable EV/IV system, Sharpedo, some actually challenging Gyms, and an overworld weather system.
    This post brought to you by
    SharKing Productions

If you want to battle me, trade with me, or use my Friend Safari in X/Y, my FC is 1220 7381 3516.

I'm not just on BMGf. Check me out on:
    YouTube | Twitter | Smogon Forums | Marriland Forums

Load of Belloni
    Blog Entries

Gen 3 is my favourite solely due to the pokemon designs. Several of them are really creative and fun to look at, which is what I like in my video games. I also like that you're given the option to catch several surprisingly useful pokemon almost as soon as you leave your home town. Lotad, Ralts, Seedot, Wingull, Shroomish, Slakoth and so on all become some seriously cool looking and functional monsters. Most of the fun comes from being able to train the ones you like, so it fits the bill for moi.
    Gameplay wise I feel all the games are on equal footing anyway. It eventually gets to a point where I find it difficult to replay unless I stave it off for almost a decade, and even then it can be a bit of a slog. I may like Gen 3 the best, but it is by no means an exception.

I'd have to agree that Gen 3 is the best, I personally like it because of Milotic and the Kanto remake. The Hoenn designs are pretty good...but Hariyama and Medicham? They look a bit....eurgh, strange to me.

HeartGold Friend Code : 3223 8160 6855

Diamond Friend Code : 5285 4025 9139

Platinum Friend Code : 4684 1071 7423

.....Shut UP.

Bulbapedia Editorial Board Zesty Cactus's Avatar Bulbapedia Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

My boyfriend looooves Medicham... I thought he was the only one, haha.

I've mentioned everywhere else on here that i LOVE third gen. I don't think it gets enough love :/

Quote Originally Posted by 1998 View Post
    Most of all, I hated that you couldn't trade with the older games.
    I seriously don't get why this bothers people so much.

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

I liked Hoenn. I liked a lot of the pokemon. The plot was interesting.

It was a very interesting gen and I in now way hate it. But I consider Gen IV to be superior.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Blog Entries

Gen III. Why? Great region, great pokemon, great storyline, and those Gen I remakes ;D

Follow Daxdiv On Twitter

Y'know, Even though I am more aiming towards dislike as a kid, looking back at it, I am kind of growing fond of them in my later years, however I still have pros and cons for Generation III

Positives:

Introduction of Abilities- Love the abilities feature and how they can turn the tide of the battle, especially for moves like Blaze/Torrent/Swarm/Overgrow, Guts, Static, etc. Even Pick-Up is a nice thing to have

Natures- This was something that had to grow on me and something I ignored when first playing it, and also have a love/hate relationship with. But really, something that can help or hurt you if you pay attention. You can actually raise a Pokemon and make them work around their strength, or their weakness. Though I will admit that getting the right nature is annoying, so I just go for the "close enough" route.

Cool Looking and combat useful Pokemon- I do like how you can catch Pokemon that you end up sticking with for the majority of the game, especially Pokemon like Shroomish, Slakoth, Tailow, and Ralts before the first gym fight.

Double Battles- Double Battles to me were a pretty interesting concept, as they require more thoughts of strategy. Something I like.

Negatives:

Team Magma and Aqua- I already said it before, but the whole more water/land thing is stupid beyond hell since I don't even see how that's beneficial for anyone. They will probably rank the lowest among my favorite crime syndicate in the Pokemon world until proven otherwise.

Water mazes- I usually found myself running to GameFAQs or my game guide to help me get to the league, Sootopolis City, and the Regi's and Rayquaza. The latter two I can somewhat understand, but really trying to find the final city and resolve this plot was annoying for me. Then I would get lost with the league for a while. Really, the water aspect is something I'm not a fan of to this day.

I got bored- It was here when I realized Pokemon repetitive nature, and that time I think I was somewhat outgrowing it, after getting bored with Johto in the anime, my unfounded hatred for the 3rd Generation, and focusing more on other games that the GBA, GCN, and the PS2 were offering.

Get those Devil Horns up Magmortar123's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It wasn't my favorite, but it offered many new aspects that made it a respectable gen.
    My stats
    BMGF Mentor Program!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Springer
    Would you dance on a Czechoslovakian?
    I strongly support DaniHime (Me X Orihime)

One word: Polish.

Everything is detailed and perfect graphically and functionally.

FR and LG made this clear also.

Blog Entries

Gen III had to do what it had to do, it had to get rid of the old archaic 2 bit system of the past and we had to move on what we have now. It HAD to be done, and hating on it because you couldn't trade over your Lv 100 maxed out in every stat Charizard and Mewtwo is stupid.

I love the games personally because like I said above, without them doing what they had to do, we wouldn't have gotten the improvements over with DPt and HGSS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    A lot of people point out that Pikachu beat Regice and is therefore super powerful, but I tend to ignore that because it was such a bullshit victory. That wasn't a showcase of how powerful Pikachu had become; it was simply terrible, terrible writing.

so i herd u liek treakos? Kimori-Hinoarashi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
    I like Gen III. They were the very first games I ever played. They got me into the video game aspect.
    Same here.
    Read my Fanfic! Chapter 30 posted! A Legendary Journey is now on indefinite hiatus, but I am starting a new fic in Unova called eNsnared.

Thanks to cledispop for my Avatar!

i love the double battle concept

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast