Was the Gen III reboot successful? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Was the Gen III reboot successful?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Was the Gen III reboot successful?

Yes it was very successful. The mechanics introduced in gen 3 have been the new backbone of the modern games. It has been mastered since all the features removed in gen 3 (day/night for example) have been reintroduced and integrated with it.

The main reason imo that Hoenn is so controversial actual has not much to do with the region itself (aside from removed Pokemon/features) but the timing of the reboot. It happened right when the whole fad was blowing over, and people were losing interest in it. Perhaps thats the reason they did a reboot in the first place?

I'm glad they did something new though, as the Hoenn region is my former favorite region of them all. Its so natural and beautiful and I loved the theme of the games. I guess a good question might be what would have happened if GF didn't do a reboot? Would Pokemon still be here or would it be entirely different?

As for Black/White Unova has become my favorite region taking Hoenn's place. I loved Unova even more because it had more of a deeper coherent story that flowed well, the need to use only Unova's Pokemon was much welcome, and the timing of a reboot was good. Unova is like a remake/reboot of Kanto more than anything, but its unique enough to be its own region. There is also the fact that obtaining past Pokemon from the older gens is basically a non issue. Unova seems to build upon things as a reboot (like introducing seasons) as opposed to completely overhaul them.

The main difference between the two reboots is that one (Hoenn) has very drastic changes while the other (Unova) has more subtle changes. Hoenn as said before was a complete mechanical overhaul, but Unova kept and built upon the same mechanics and its a reboot mainly in its feeling. (156 new Pokemon, separated far from other regions, etc.) Overall, GF have learned from the past and have handled the second reboot a bit better.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it was. :p

◓Gypsy Vanner Horse Kyuuketsuki's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think the reboot in Generation III was successful, but most fans perceived it as bad because they couldn't transfer their Pokémon and play the easy way. Being the first reboot also meant that a lot of people though previous Gen Pokémon were out of the games forever, even though some were available in the wild (I have met people that stopped playing Pokémon because "Ruby & Sapphire removed Charizard forever").

So yeah, I personally think that it helped rejuvenate the franchise, but people were too blinded by the past games to see it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Gen III was needed.badly Gen II was okay but I think it was a low point in Pokemon the fans and the franchise didn't want to change. III brought Pokemon to the Modern era. All new games are based off of Gen III's data format. It completly overhauled the data and graphics and while night and day was lost. Is not a big deal. the D/N thing drained the G/S/C batteries making the game unusable.R/S still ran on batteries which of course are dying now.

And did peple want Kanto 3.0? The reason for R/S's 'lower' sales was because they came out after the fad died. and still Gen II didn't sell much more then III. and R/S/E actually wound up outselling G/S/C
    Black: 4727-9836-9051
    White: 3396-7767-9032
    Platinum: 0003-5833-1618
    Soul Silver: 3138-3094-2458

Post Thanks / Like

Black and White had better REBOOT success, but personally, I thought Sapphire was better.

Post Thanks / Like

Gen III was a far better reboot, it actually cut all ties from the previous generations in terms of compatibility and rebuilt the game from the ground up. The only thing Gen V did better in terms of being a reboot was completely abandoning all the old Pokemon.
    JAK

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Articwolf10 View Post
    And did peple want Kanto 3.0? The reason for R/S's 'lower' sales was because they came out after the fad died. and still Gen II didn't sell much more then III. and R/S/E actually wound up outselling G/S/C
    You still think the Pokémon Company's claim that Gold and Silver have the series' second highest sales number (over 23 million copies) is a conspiracy? That's funny.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    You still think the Pokémon Company's claim that Gold and Silver have the series' second highest sales number (over 23 million copies) is a conspiracy? That's funny.
    I say they just beefed up the sales to look more impressive... and G/S almost killed the franchise anyway.... R/S pretty much saved the series... so no I still doubt G/S sold as much as they say they did... (I fthat was true I say someone f Wikipedia would've changed the sales...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I say they just beefed up the sales to look more impressive... and G/S almost killed the franchise anyway.... R/S pretty much saved the series... so no I still doubt G/S sold as much as they say they did... (I fthat was true I say someone f Wikipedia would've changed the sales...)
    You should file a lawsuit against the Pokémon Company for providing false data. How dare they suggest that Ruby and Sapphire didn't save the series? Thank god for Wikipedia being the beacon of light that it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    You should file a lawsuit against the Pokémon Company for providing false data. How dare they suggest that Ruby and Sapphire didn't save the series? Thank god for Wikipedia being the beacon of light that it is.
    -sigh- That was my opinion, oneed to become a complete smartass.And Wikipedia at least tries to be accurate. if the info is incorrect go edit it to make it right.

*sharp inhale* Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

Gen III was not a reboot. It was a continuation of the series, just in a different area of the Pokemon world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Gen III was not a reboot. It was a continuation of the series, just in a different area of the Pokemon world.
    Gen III was very much a reboot... IT completly changed the data structure added Abilites and Natures. Gave pokemon their own sprite made a seperate reagion... so it was a reboot.... as is Gen V to a smaller degree... Gen II and Iv were more of a continuation... III and V however made very big changes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Gen III was very much a reboot... IT completly changed the data structure added Abilites and Natures. Gave pokemon their own sprite made a seperate reagion... so it was a reboot.... as is Gen V to a smaller degree... Gen II and Iv were more of a continuation... III and V however made very big changes
    That in no way makes it a reboot. If it were a reboot, they would have started totally over with all-new Pokemon, and no way to obtain Gen I and II Pokemon at all.

一級空手家! Water Max's Avatar Bulbanews Writer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Follow Water Max On Twitter Add Water Max on Facebook
    Add Water Max on Linkedin Follow Water Max on Tumblr Visit Water Max's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    That in no way makes it a reboot. If it were a reboot, they would have started totally over with all-new Pokemon, and no way to obtain Gen I and II Pokemon at all.
    There was no way to obtain many generation I and II Pokémon in Ruby and Sapphire. The exact number I think is 184 Pokémon from generations I and II which were not available at the start of generation III and it is easier in generation V to obtain any Pokémon from generations I-IV than at the start of generation III because the Poké Transfer can be used.
    Staff member of Bulbanews (Writer).
    Original Poster of the Kingdom of Pokémon [v1.5]-[v4].
    I've claimed Cacturne, Suicune, Hustle, Hydro Cannon and Gary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Water Max View Post
    There was no way to obtain many generation I and II Pokémon in Ruby and Sapphire.
    But there was a way to obtain some of them. Hence, Gen III: not a reboot.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast