The current generation of Pokémon which began with Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version has been said to a reboot of the franchise. The majority of people have claimed that this was quite successful. However, this is not the first time Game Freak tried to reboot Pokémon (and indeed, it isn't the most controversial). Pokémon Ruby Version and Pokémon Sapphire Version were the first games in a new era for Pokémon. When comparing the two reboots, was the Gen III restart successful?
Obviously, there are key differences about the two events, which include (but are not limited to):
Ruby and Sapphire:
- Inability to communicate with previous games.
- Previous Pokémon in the regional Pokédex.
- No National Pokédex without trading.
- No old characters reappear.
- On a completely new console.
- Complete overhaul of the data system.
Black and White:
- Ability to communicate with previous games.
- No previous Pokémon in the regional Pokédex.
- National Dex obtained after main story.
- Looker and Caitlin reappear.
- On the same console as the previous generation.
- No drastic data changes.
However, saying that, there were some similarities as well:
- Both started a new route ordering system (Hoenn had 101+ rather than continuing where Johto left off; Unova reset back to 1).
- Naming throwback to Generation I (RSE = same colour scheme as Red, Blue and Green. BW = Going back to use colour names [Yes, Black and White are technically shades, but ssh]).
- Both introduced new battle methods (RSE = Doubles. BW = Triples and Rotation).
- Both had main legendaries in conflict with each other (Groudon-Kyogre, Reshiram-Zekrom). (In fact, Reshiram is Fire-type, which is boosted by Sun, which Groudon creates. Zekrom is an electric-type, and Thunder, which it can learn, gets an accuracy boost in Rain, which Kyogre creates).
- Both gave a pair of Pokémon the Drought and Drizzle abilities (RS = Groudon, Kyogre. BW = Ninetales, Politoed).
- Both introduced new abilities for a lot of Pokémon (RS introduced them, BW brought the Dream World).
- Story had two friendly rivals (RS - Brendan/May and Wally, BW - Cheren and Bianca).
- Both had Dark and Ghost-type Elite 4 members.
However, despite all the similarities, the Generation III reboot was a highly controversial topic at the time, as some say it was more of a forced restart than Black/White, due to the inability to communicate with past games altogether. However, despite that, it was an incredibly vital era for the franchise.
To reiterate the question - do you think Gen III was a succesfull reboot?