Gen III Purists?

View Poll Results: Are there Gen III purists?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 53.33%
  • No

1 3.33%
  • Haven't Noticed

13 43.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gen III Purists?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Gen III Purists?

I believe this is the proper place if not then please move it but....

There is a lot of talk about Gen I purists and I'm curious if my other forum mates believe (as i am beginning to) that we are getting to a point where we have Gen III purists as well as Gen I purists.

My reasoning behind this is we now have a lot of fans who stared with RSE, and it is my believe that they are beginning to get the same complex, so to speak,about Hoenn as the gen I purists have about Kanto, and of course the monsters who live within these regions.

What are your thoughts?

*A Tiny Bit of Un-Needed Background on my Pokemon history*

Stated playing w/ Red (Though the first game I owned was Yellow)
    I've played every gen since and don't have a special fondness for any (I liked them all)
    Last edited by ShinyBreeder; 16th March 2012 at 07:36 PM.

Please Help Hatch My Team :) I do my best to repay the favor but im sorry if i miss you

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Gen III Purists?

Wow, I never thought of it like that. But yeah, it makes sense.

Although I believe they are a little different from Gen I purists. I don't think that Gen III purists think that Gen III is superior to the other generations. They just feel entitled to RSE remakes because Gen I and II got remakes. So I'm not sure if "purist" is the right word for them.

Claims: , , Turboblaze, Fusion Flare ➝ icon/banner ★ pixiv

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smalllady View Post
    Wow, I never thought of it like that. But yeah, it makes sense.

Although I believe they are a little different from Gen I purists. I don't think that Gen III purists think that Gen III is superior to the other generations. They just feel entitled to RSE remakes because Gen I and II got remakes. So I'm not sure if "purist" is the right word for them.
    This. Especially the questioning if they should be called purists.

What really separates them from the Gen I purists is that Gen III people aren't obnoxious and opinionated.

追放されたバカ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Of course there are Gen III, and in the next following years, there will be Gen V purists. It's a curse to broken fanbases.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow Oswin on Tumblr

There are purists for every generation.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I've seen plenty of Gen III purists and they're just as annoying as the Gen I purists and Gen III haters.

Starters of choice.
    Claimed Volcarona on 03/04/12.

Your Darkest Nightmare Locked In My Asylum's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow Locked In My Asylum on Tumblr Visit Locked In My Asylum's Youtube Channel

I have a friend who's a Gen III purist. She believes all the Pokemon after Gen III are very uncreative, and I want to change her opinion. :<

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

I've been a Gen3 purist for a long time... until a friend told me about the awesomeness of Gen4 XDD

But anyways, Gen3 purists accept a lot of other pokemons - they just consider Gen3 to be the best, that's all.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't think I like the term purist, dedicated fans perhaps.

I consider Hoenn the best region and Gen III the best gen, even though I started in GSC's time with Silver. But I like Pokemon and characters from all gens and regions. Don't think that makes me any sort of purist.

Not a Power Ranger Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

Nah, the Gen III fans have recieved too much bashing from everyone on the internet to become like the bashers themselves. It's rare to see someone who loves only Gen III.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destiny Queen View Post
    I've been a Gen3 purist for a long time... until a friend told me about the awesomeness of Gen4 XDD

But anyways, Gen3 purists accept a lot of other pokemons - they just consider Gen3 to be the best, that's all.
    Those wouldn't be purists - just Gen 3 fans.

A purist would be one who either only accepts everything up to Gen III, or only accept Gen III, bashing what came before and after.

And I've unfortunately met a lot of both types of purists.

Starters of choice.
    Claimed Volcarona on 03/04/12.

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Destiny Queen View Post

Those wouldn't be purists - just Gen 3 fans.

A purist would be one who either only accepts everything up to Gen III, or only accept Gen III, bashing what came before and after.

And I've unfortunately met a lot of both types of purists.
    This

Yes, they do exist. I have seen gen 3 fans who become defensive at even a small criticism of it and don't stop before criticizing gen 4 or gen 5 for some weird reasons.

If people who like only Gen1 and refuse to see the good points of other gens are termed purists, then lovers of gen3 who refuse to see the negative points of gen3 and and refuse to acknowledge other gens' good points can be very appropriately termed "purists".
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Every generation has "purists". The first generation has them. The second generation has them. The third generation has them. The fourth generation has them. The fifth generation has them. And the sixth generation (in addition to all generations that follow) will have them.

There are some people who will knock anything that isn't their favorite generation, simply for not being of that generation (for any number of reasons, though the largest influx of purism occurs when the age group that was introduced to a particular generation reaches a certain age, which is usually about two generations ahead of when the generation debuted).

Each generation has their own good and bad qualities, and obviously not everyone is going to like every generation. Most people will even have a favorite generation, or an order of preference. To me, the purists are those that shun the rest of the franchise aside from their generation(s) of choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Follow H-con On Twitter Add H-con on Facebook Add H-con on Google+ Add H-con on MySpace
    Add H-con on Linkedin Follow H-con on Tumblr Follow H-con on Flickr Visit H-con's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Dread Advocate View Post
    What really separates them from the Gen I purists is that Gen III people aren't obnoxious and opinionated.
    What? I've seen enough obnoxious opinionated things from gen III people as well, especially when gen III is criticized. For some years ago, I could understand, because the fandom has changed since then, being more hostile to gen III, but seeing how gen III is generally the most popular these days, it's not a general notion in the fandom that people hate gen III, except in the gen III "purists" minds, and they're really not better than the genwunners. There's generally far more genwunners irl than gen III "purists" (at least in my experience), but who cares about about those. They're not playing the games anyways, so their opinion doesn't matter.
    I think it's just that genwunners have been around longer. That said, gen I purists annoy the hell out of me, mostly because of the unprecedented arrogance they spout (mostly because I think people, certainly '90s kids generally have a tendency to think that their childhood is far superior to others, and just love nostalgia).

I'm not sure if purists are the best word though, I do think that fits better with gen I, wanting to keep everything as (buggy and broken) as things were in gen I, with just the 151 pokémon. I can't find a good word for the equivalent for gen III, with all the changes to the series at that point.

Whatever I said about gen I purists can be extended to gen II, though as with gen III, I don't think purists are the best word here either. Haters are just as annoying,.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay then. Maybe they are as bad as Gen I purists. Perhaps I just haven't noticed,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast