FireRed for a first timer

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kingmate
  • 1 Post By Chiss

Thread: FireRed for a first timer

Default FireRed for a first timer

Hey, Mysticmon here. I'm new here, but not new to Pokemon.

A few days ago I convinced my sister to start her first Pokemon game. I decided her first game should be FireRed instead of a gen 1 game. I see it as a smart move for a first timer. She chose Squirtle, so I'm already proud of her. She's new to RPGs and I'm walking her through most of it. I got her a rattata and a pidgey to go with her turtle. She doesn't realize how handy they will become later.

My goal is to get her to beat the indigo league. If she does, I might get her a ds Pokemon game for her birthday or something. My question to all of you is... Do you have any tips for a first timer? I want her to enjoy the game. Thanks.
    Last edited by Mysticmon; 19th March 2013 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Rattata misspelled. Must be a common mistake.

Follow Vulli on Tumblr Visit Vulli's Youtube Channel

Default Re: FireRed for a first timer

Any tips? I'd say just let her play and discover various things on her own haha. Perhaps give advice if she gets stuck at some parts, I suppose. Suggest she talk to a lot of the random people in towns etc.

Maybe not walk her through it? But always be there to help!
    Chiss likes this.

Blog Entries

I would advise her dropping Ratatta; its stats are just too low to use in the later parts of the game.
    Smart enough to use forth in the wrong context
    Claims: Metagross and Travis Touchdown

Add Chiss on Facebook

Don't criticize her choices of team members, even if they aren't the best she could have. If she picks the ones she likes, she'll become more attached to them.
    You could try giving her a bit of help, for example if she likes Eevee show her the apartment building where she gets it if she passes it by.
    Other than that, just let her figure things out herself. It's a children's RPG, after all. :)
    Last edited by Chiss; 19th May 2013 at 01:57 AM.
    Reila likes this.

Has converted to Helixism Miles101's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I personally love Rattata and recommend her keeping it. Though it may just be my soft spot for the rodents, I have a fond memory of using Raticate in LeafGreen.
    Otherwise, let her explore the game herself. And make sure she catches Mewtwo!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky the forth. View Post
    I would advise her dropping Ratatta; its stats are just too low to use in the later parts of the game.
    Not true, my Ratatta (now a Raticate) Hurricane in LG is amazing. It effing beat Brock's onix!

My advise OP is to not smother her, let her play and discover it by herself, that's fun of it. I don't know how old she is but I was 13 when I played my first game (Yellow) and I had no one to help me but got through it fine on my own (well alright, my male friend ended up having to beat it for me because Gary kept kicking my ass in the Champion battle). If she has any questions or trouble I am sure she'd go to you.

"All of this sight, I can't believe I couldn't see. Kept in the dark, but you were there in front of me."

thanks for the tips, everyone. she's an adult btw. she's just never played an RPG before.

she got a little into it, but she hasn't played it in a while (and i just recently picked Pokemon back up again).