Does generation 2 have any redeeming qualities? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does generation 2 have any redeeming qualities?

Yes, I am THAT gli. :P Gligar13's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Does generation 2 have any redeeming qualities?

At least gen II has decent graphics, great music, and was fun. I don't care about if it "sux" or not as long as I have fun playing it. I liked gen II better then I and V.
    dA::YT::furaffinity::Yes, I DID claim Gligar.

never finished Gen. 2 ZeekSlider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

For me, it maintained their art design in that the non-legendary Pokemon remained somewhat cute, and there weren't that many inanimate objects that came to life like there were in later generations that looked odd and confusing. You know just by looking at a Pokemon if it was a legendary or not because of their design.

When I saw the list for the Gen. 3 Pokemon, several of them that I thought were common turned out to be legendaries, and the ones I thought were legendaries turned out to be common. (I'm looking at you, Absol!)

It was also pretty clear which one was also going to be the event Pokemon for that generation by the design as well when you compare Celebi to Mew. The same can be said for Jirachi, though I was surprised to learn that Deoxys was also an event Pokemon given that its design didn't imply that.

Post Thanks / Like

Gold and Silver were Nintendo's second attempt at a Pokemon game, after the success of the first generation, and so they are full of fresh ideas that weren't used in the first generation. The Johto region and its Pokemon are somehow really appealing, and the games have a real charm that began to wane ever slightly from the third generation onwards, only to be restored in Black and White. Johto is special; while being completely new, it retained the same classic Pokemon-ish atmosphere of Kanto, something which Hoenn and Sinnoh, as amazing as they were, somehow lacked.

Of course, I'm probably being a bit biased, as Silver was the first game I ever played, but I do honestly believe that Gold and Silver are two of the most well-rounded and generally enjoyable games.
    White Team

Post Thanks / Like

Haters gonna hate. Just because your too young to remember how exciting the storyline was doesnt mean you need to bash any generation. Yes most things that showed up in G/S are still around but guess what, THATS WHERE THEY WERE INTRODUCED! Therefore Gen II gets credit for them. Johto may not have been the largest region but it was a damn good one. Also guess what else Gen II introduced. COLOR!!! Johto's the best FTW!!!
    Poptarts and milk. :3 Yummm.
    Diamond FC is: 1033-9547-5106, use for all trades and battles in gen IV.
    White FC is: 1592-4476-9385, all trades for gen V.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PS3D View Post
    So, your main problem is that Kanto has things missing from Generation I, and that's what ruins it? You're overlooking everything, including great music, the day/night system, backwards compatibility, the original Berry system, two entirely new types, and the like.
    No, that's far from the only issue. The other issues lie in the leveling (by the Ice Cave, the area right before the 8th gym, wild Pokemon are STILL only a low level 20-22; Jasmine is the gym leader before Pryce yet she has higher levels than he does, the entirety of the Kanto region having a level imbalance of high level trainers and extremely low level Pokemon until Mt. Silver, with the trainers being weaker than the Champion until you get to Blaine, etc.), the lack of new Pokemon in the new region in general (look at the gym leader's teams if you don't believe me; I dare you to count how many Johto Pokemon they use), the overuse of the time features (trying to get Pokemon/items with it is a pain, which defeats the purpose of the game if time limitations make it impossible for people who are unable to play at certain times of the day like night; keep in mind that kids play these games and that America has a lot of dick parents who don't let their kids touch their games at night, not to mention it being a bitch to play if you do get it at night because of the lack of backlight in the GB screens), and so on.

New types and berries I acknowledge, but the fact that they still exist hardly make them notable for GSC in anything other than contribution to the franchise. If games were rated by their level of contribution, then nothing can top RGBY.

Music is subjective, personally I don't like most of GSC's music but I'm not gonna bring that up as a part of my argument.

I already stated why the day/night system was poorly executed/just a bad idea due to it's inconvenience to many players, specifically the ones that Pokemon targets. Backwards compatibility can be argued as a bad thing as well because, if anything, it promotes just being lazy and trading them all in rather than working to catch them, but I'll admit that's arguable as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Gligar13 View Post
    At least gen II has decent graphics, great music, and was fun. I don't care about if it "sux" or not as long as I have fun playing it. I liked gen II better then I and V.
    First, lolgraphics. It's not as though gen 2 made any good use of whatever graphical abilities the GB had. Look at some of the older GB games, like Donkey Kong Land. Those are damn impressive visuals, given the system. GSC lack that much.

As for the rest, why do you enjoy it more? What significant aspects does gen 2 have to put it over the other generations to you? You were perfectly okay with the bad pacing, lack of new Pokemon, time limitations, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by ZeekSlider View Post
    For me, it maintained their art design in that the non-legendary Pokemon remained somewhat cute, and there weren't that many inanimate objects that came to life like there were in later generations that looked odd and confusing. You know just by looking at a Pokemon if it was a legendary or not because of their design.
    Plenty of Pokemon from later generations are far from inanimate objects. Hell, the only thing that really pops into my head is the Klink line for gen 5. And I can still guess what's legendary and what's not. There's a certain style to every Pokemon that is easy to notice if you've payed enough attention to designs.

When I saw the list for the Gen. 3 Pokemon, several of them that I thought were common turned out to be legendaries, and the ones I thought were legendaries turned out to be common. (I'm looking at you, Absol!)
    I have no idea how you could get that for several of them, other than the ones that actually were legendary. Absol? Legendary? Might as well think Houndoom is legendary.

It was also pretty clear which one was also going to be the event Pokemon for that generation by the design as well when you compare Celebi to Mew. The same can be said for Jirachi, though I was surprised to learn that Deoxys was also an event Pokemon given that its design didn't imply that.
    I never noticed a trend between design and whether or not a Pokemon would be an event. If Deoxys had anything to indicate it being an event, it would be it's placement in the Pokedex. That's more consistent with every other Pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by Taromon777 View Post
    Gold and Silver were Nintendo's second attempt at a Pokemon game, after the success of the first generation, and so they are full of fresh ideas that weren't used in the first generation. The Johto region and its Pokemon are somehow really appealing, and the games have a real charm that began to wane ever slightly from the third generation onwards, only to be restored in Black and White. Johto is special; while being completely new, it retained the same classic Pokemon-ish atmosphere of Kanto, something which Hoenn and Sinnoh, as amazing as they were, somehow lacked.
    There's not much different between gen 5 Pokemon and gen 3/4 Pokemon. They all use a similar design pattern to them (mainly to add inspiration as much as they can without going overboard). Gen 2 designs are a mixed bag; a lot of them hold a style similar to new gen Pokemon, but some seem way too gen 1-ish. I can't understand where the rest is coming from. Honestly, if I may say so, it just seems like nostalgia goggles on maximum until they were finally pulled off sometime around gen 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Taromon777 View Post
    Of course, I'm probably being a bit biased, as Silver was the first game I ever played, but I do honestly believe that Gold and Silver are two of the most well-rounded and generally enjoyable games.
    Perfectly fine. I don't really care so long as you aren't one of those obnoxious "GEN 2 IS THE BEST OMGOMG SO GREAT NINTENDO TOTALLY REHASHED AFTER IT" buffoons that are my reason for making this thread. What I'm trying to figure out is what makes it so much more appealing. I fail to see any charm in it after replaying Crystal and getting HGSS. All I get from it is poor game development mixed with just cashing in on their success, from the ingame point of view. Mechanics seem to suggest they knew psychics were overpowered and just wanted to nerf them, but that's about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

the change of the inside of the mart and pokécenter

i mean, things could happen in there for the first time.

It was also true to the original game.

Many people, myself included, view johto as the last real pokémon region with the last real pokémon.

therfore its the only real gen with all the types and psychic mons not being overpowered (which I miss).

It's biggest drawback was it was the first step on the long road to killing alakazam with the special split
    URPG Snowbelle Leader
    Looking for: Rotom
    UFT: Depends what you're offering

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Free View Post
    Haters gonna hate. Just because your too young to remember how exciting the storyline was doesnt mean you need to bash any generation. Yes most things that showed up in G/S are still around but guess what, THATS WHERE THEY WERE INTRODUCED! Therefore Gen II gets credit for them. Johto may not have been the largest region but it was a damn good one. Also guess what else Gen II introduced. COLOR!!! Johto's the best FTW!!!
    Alright, I've been nice and kind up until now. The other posters were worth the time to respond to, but you and your kind are the main reason I made this thread. Prepare fucker, because I have a shitstorm ready for you.

Oh, please don't assume my age. Gold was my first main series game, I was certainly old enough to play and understand this "brilliant" storyline you speak of. It was pure shit, from Team Rocket becoming morons that wanted to dickride on Giovanni all night with their shitty new time feature to Silver being the most thick-headed retard in the franchise (only next to his good-for-nothing father as of the HeartGarbage and SoulShit). That's the storyline for you, now fuck off on that.

Oh, so GS are the best because they introduced those things? HEY GUYS, RBY ARE THE BEST POKEMON GAMES EVER BECAUSE THEY INTRODUCED MORE THAN ANY OTHER GAME IN THE FRANCHISE
    DONKEY KONG IS THE BEST OF THE MARIO GAMES BECAUSE IT INTRODUCED PLATFORMING
    ZELDA 1 IS THE BEST BECAUSE IT'S JUST THE FIRST, I AIN'T GOTTA EXPLAIN SHIT

Johto was hardly a good region. Level 27 Pokemon being your highest, good like in a Pokewar. You're gonna get your ass raped from the north (Sinnoh), South (Hoenn), east (Kanto) and west (Unova) because all have seen better leveling at some point than you have.

Alright, gen 2 introduced color. Gen 3 introduced environments, gen 4 introduced slight 3D to the world, and gen 5 has more full blown 3D. That looks better, and ultimately IS better.

Gen 2 introduced shit, but it hardly took advantage of it. New types? Oh yeah, two of the Pokemon with the new types are just Kanto Pokemon with the types slapped on lol. Enjoy your "new" Pokemon. Oh, and the others? Houndour, Murkrow, and until Crystal, Sneasel are unavailable in Johto. Have fun with your nodarktypes. Tyranitar? Yeah, so late into Johto you wouldn't even know the fucker existed. Skarmory? See Tyranitar. Scizor and Steelix are fucked due to trade evos, which not many would've seen coming for them. Your best bet is headbutting trees for a Pineco to get Forretress (have fun headbutting every tree in Johto, jackass) or getting Umbreon. Cool, two Pokemon that take advantage of the new types.

Yeah, I was there for that shitstain. The difference is I know it's shit but you don't.

Based Mod DCM's Avatar Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This is absolutely out of control. If you can't have a civil discussion, there won't be a discussion.
    “And as to you life, I reckon you are the leavings of many deaths, No doubt I have died myself ten thousand times before.”

W.W.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Throwing this out there in response to another post in the gen 2 thread.

Quote Originally Posted by pman View Post
    the change of the inside of the mart and pokécenter

i mean, things could happen in there for the first time.

It was also true to the original game.

Many people, myself included, view johto as the last real pokémon region with the last real pokémon.

therfore its the only real gen with all the types and psychic mons not being overpowered (which I miss).

It's biggest drawback was it was the first step on the long road to killing alakazam with the special split
    That's not much... at all to praise. So it could happen there for the first time. It could still happen, except now more stuff happens (not that I even know what you're talking about, but if my guess is correct then I'm right here).

And if you view Johto as the last real Pokemon region with the last real Pokemon world, then fuck you. Sugimori, Tajiri, Masuda, and the rest have been there from day 1 and still work on it to this day with more effort than ever.

And how anyone could possibly miss one type being so dominant is beyond me. It's just unfathomable. You'd think people would like variety, but then again, it's Johto, which hates variety.

I'd like to know what was wrong, since it was hardly trolling if you looked at one of my posts responding to a larger number of posts. Of course I'm guessing that's the case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Throwing this out there in response to another post in the gen 2 thread.

That thread was locked. Last I checked, a locked thread isn't an invitation to start it up again in a new thread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12