Do you Think Cheat Devices are OK to use? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you Think Cheat Devices are OK to use?

Blog Entries

I'm one that doesn't like to use cheat devices at all. It kind of makes the game not worth playing sometimes since you're just getting what was supposed to take a games-worth of time to find. Or something like that. And I especially don't like them when, as someone said in here, people use them to raise the stats of a Pokemon, or put other moves, etc. It just takes the fun out of the game sometimes.

I did use GS once back in Blue version to get Mew. I didn't like it then, and I was scared my game would get screwed up so I never did it again. I prefer to get things legally, and wait. (Meaning unobtainable Pokemon like Mew, Celebi, etc...Which I have...Just need Deoxys now to complete my PokeDex to its entirety. )
    Matt the Drat!

I've cheated before, and to be honest it took a lot of the fun out of the game for me. I have no problem with people cheating if it doesn't affect me.

Is there anyone here who thinks that doing things like:
    1. trading to get a pokémon you can catch/evolve on your own version because you are lazy or
    2. saving before a legendary Pokémon so you can restart if you fail at catching it, is cheating?
    I would do the second but not not the first but i'm not judgemental. Just want to see other peoples opinions.

IMO, they're fine to use as long as you're not ruining anything except your own fun. Go ahead, get those unobtainables/extra Master Balls/perfect stats/shinies if you want to. But if you're trading or battling with someone, the Pokemon that come into play should all be possible under normal game conditions(nobody will be able to tell if your Pokemon got perfect stats and a great nature via cheating or sheer luck anyway, and since it IS within the bounds of normal gameplay, there's no harm done).

I don't own a GS/AR/whatever myself, but that's mostly because I don't have enough money to buy gaming stuff as it is, and I can't see myself using one too much. Although being able to make ALL TMs obtainable multiple times might be worth it if I ever end up battling a lot(seriously, one-off TMs are the stupidest idea ever. Okay, nobody cares if you can only get Roar or some other crap only once, but it's really annoying with good moves like Calm Mind and Earthquake). And getting those unobtainables would be rather nice. I'd be too lazy to figure out how to change stats and crap, though. XP

I never got the "EVERY TIME YOU CHEAT, ARSEUS KILLS A MEOWTH" mentality, really. People act like you're a vile being if you cheat, even if it doesn't effect other people. Preferring to play the game the 100% legit way is all fine and dandy, but harping on people who want to make things easier for themselves and who don't harm other people by it(and no, getting a cheated Pokemon in a trade that has legal stats and moves doesn't count as harm) is not. I think soda is a horrid drink and prefer to keep all that sugar and caffeine out of my body, but I don't yell at anyone I see drinking soda since the fact is that SOMEONE ELSE drinking soda doesn't hurt ME. The keyword is respect, people. Get off your pedistals and let people "ruin their fun", "destroy the integrity of the game", and whatnot if they want to.

--- Last.fm---

I met two brothers once long ago who traded me a lvl 5 Mew for my level 41 Hyno, we later became friends and they showed me exactly how they got it; with a gameshark.

I later bought a GS for the gameboy color, but I didn't really use it until the metal games and even then it was mostly for simply making the handful of pokemon that were not available in my version appear in the wild with normal stats, at the local level. I caught them the legit way with balls I bought in the local shop and I raised them legit like all my other pokemon.

Generally speaking, I cheat to goof around and I only do so after I've beaten the game legit. Otherwise, yeah it can take the fun out of the game. I also never cheat or use cheat modified pokemon in PvP Play.

I think the old Missingno exploit was worse than any gameshark code in the first generation games. (and yeah, I was not above said exploit)
    Last edited by vahn roi; 2nd February 2007 at 09:00 PM.

the first time i got my gameshark for sp it said i was useing too many codes i press start and.... IT BROKE WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA( 287643897569847356935478534957893465487965438975783456938745 YEARS LATER) AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH I CRIED FOR 2 AND IN half hours i missed all nintendo events so i got it to obtain the ho oh deoxys celebi jirachi oh why did i act so dumb that as my chance for missingo WAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!! :( :( :(;( ;( :( :( :( :( plus i wanted to see the mod shop!!!!

Blog Entries
    Follow Turtle Tamer Kammy On Twitter Add Turtle Tamer Kammy on Google+
    Follow Turtle Tamer Kammy on Tumblr Follow Turtle Tamer Kammy on Flickr

Oh my god, worst post ever.
    *this space for rent*

sorry i wanted a week for that.. then i broke it :(

I don't see the point in cheating - what's the point in even playing the game if you can just get all Pokemon at max stats in an hour?

I don't think you should cheat to get special event, etc Pokemon either: that's kinda the point, isn't it? That they're SPECIAL and most players won't have them?

Any other cheats like 99 MB's, etc. ruin the game mechanics too because you don't have to TRY to finish your Pokedex, etc. I know that I'm proud of catching my Groudon with a Timer ball so that I saved my Master ball for Rayquaza: it also gave the Timer ball a real use.

If you don't ever play with other people then you may as well cheat to get the full benefit of the game once you've played through the entire story; but, Pokemon is definitely a multi-player game so where's the fun in that?

Cheaters that purposely max out their Pokemon just to destroy other trainers in battles are defintely the worst though. Of course, things usually balance out in this case because they probably don't know how to REALLY battle. ;)

As far as exploits: technically they're part of the game so I don't consider it cheating per se; but, you KNOW it's not supposed to be part of the game so...

Anyway: 100% fair PvP battles are the most fun and rewarding. If you want to just piss people off, then I recommend cheating (hey, it was fun in counter-strike haha)
    Last edited by PhaZeBurN; 19th February 2007 at 02:21 PM. Reason: forgot to mention exploits

Quote Originally Posted by inkysquid12 View Post
    I've cheated before, and to be honest it took a lot of the fun out of the game for me. I have no problem with people cheating if it doesn't affect me.

Is there anyone here who thinks that doing things like:
    1. trading to get a pokémon you can catch/evolve on your own version because you are lazy or
    2. saving before a legendary Pokémon so you can restart if you fail at catching it, is cheating?
    I would do the second but not not the first but i'm not judgemental. Just want to see other peoples opinions.
    #1 What's wrong with trading to get a pokemon? That sounds fine to me (assuming it's a legit one of course)

#2 As long as it's part of the game (not an exploit, etc) then that's fine with me too. Saving and powering off is a normal part of the game so go for it! =D

I admit that I've used an Action Replay to shark a Pokemon (Milotic) with an excellent stat setup - 31 HP/DEF, 30 SpA/SpD.

In my defense, the original cart that was home to that beauty is in the hands of someone who likely holds stolen property.

Still... I don't see anything wrong with it for unobtainables, items, and such, but if you're sharking just to get perfect Pokemon, then for crying out loud, play Netbattle or Competitor.
    Vagabond Aeon

THE INTERNET MAKES YOU STUPID

I don't think a video game is worth cheating for... whatever Pokemon or items or stuff I can't find, I can't find, it's not gonna ruin my life or anything, and winning tournaments isn't important for me. I'm too busy trying to do all my papers for school to worry about it anyway (aaargh!!!).
    "Mewtwo" is only the name that humans gave me.

Nah, It takes the fun away, I didn't play Ruby for a long time after I got an AR because it got soooooo boring...I love the feeling when I get a level 100 pokemon....as for the un-obtainables, I think they need a lot more events in more cities....(like Pensacola)

I don't like cheating, but nintendo made the games to hard to complete. I know how to get Mew in Green version, Jirachi and Deoxys (I think) in other games like pkmn Channel and pkmn Colloseum(rare, limited edition). Celebe, I don't know and I don't know how to get Mew in the new games. I would only use the game shark to get the legendary Pokémon, becasue they are almost impossible to get anyway. Nintendo should have made it a little easier and less complicated to complete the pokedex.
    Captain Lincoln Stern, you stand here accused of...
    12 counts of murder in the first degree
    14 counts of armed theft of Federation property
    22 counts of piracy in high space
    18 counts of fraud
    37 counts of rape
    and 1 moving violation....how do you plead?

NO, NO, NO, NO and NO! I don't think cheats should be used reguardless even if you beat the game! Hacks, I think are perfectly find, as long as you dont get a bunch of rare candy's, but I think using a hack like when you got mew in r/b/y, I think, that is completely fine, it took skill, and you had to get all the way to lavendar town.

When it comes to pokemon you cant get in the game, I say cheats are okay, but get them at level 5 so you can actually train them yourself, thats what I did when I bought the pokemon gameshark thing that pelican was selling.

^^^ New MMORPG I'M MAKING

^^^ trainer card made by me!

Pokémon Capture Expert paperfairy's Avatar

I believe that cheating in order to speed up a process is okay. Skill is not measured by countless hours spent hatching eggs until you get one with good EVs. I fully support hacking on stats, as long as they are stats that can be achieved via normal gameplay. Things like 999 in all stats and unobtainable moves are stupid.

I also believe in using cheating devies to get unobtainables, like Jirachi or Celebi.

And just as a note, I have not done any of the aforementioned methods.

don't like something? fix it. stop complaining about it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast