Do you like how remakes portray the originals?

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Abomasnow
  • 1 Post By Fossil Fusion
  • 1 Post By Otika

Thread: Do you like how remakes portray the originals?

Default Do you like how remakes portray the originals?

I like the way FireRed and LeafGreen portray the original Red and Blue. It is nearly the same until the 8th Gym where the Sevii Islands became part of the story. The Sevii Islands, however were a welcome addition to the games. The Sevii Islands give a bit more Post-game content instead of going straight to Mewtwo and allow entry for some Non-Kanto Pokemon.
    HeartGold and SoulSilver take remakes to the next level. The introduction of Lyra makes things a bit different. Also the opposite PC has a bigger role in the story. They added a Safari Zone which was not present in the originals. They even have Walking Pokemon, which makes Pokemon feel a bit more realistic. Then, there is a fan service in the form of the GB sounds. That makes the remakes superior to the originals in my opinion.
    Overall I think Game Freak does a good job with remakes.
    jokool likes this.

Follow Season On Twitter Add Season on Facebook

Default Re: Do you like how remakes portray the originals?

It rejuvenates the love for those said games which is more important for Ruby & Sapphire since they got the worst reception, remakes would be beneficial for those two.

Anyway I do like how they portray the originals because not only do you get to re-play an older/updated game but it brings back memories and they add nifty little features that really make the game better.

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

I do enjoy it. It lets you visit an old region with all the new features of the newer games, what's not to like? FireRed/LeafGreen and HG/SS were both well made and a lot of fun to play. It draws in a lot of older fans and brings them back to the series.I like the additions they add too. It also incorporates things like wi-fi trading and such. Yes, Hoenn would benefit from a remake a lot.

Follow scarlettpeony on Tumblr

It does more than just rejuvenate the games; it makes them playable again. When HGSS came out my Gold, Silver and Crystal saves had ALL gone dead so I had no means of revisiting Johto. While nothing will ever compare to that first moment I turned on my GBC and played Silver for the first time, there is no denying that HGSS are better games overall because they put a lot of the stuff GSC missed out due to time and space (Like the Safari Zone etc.) and that it gave a new lease of like to Gen II.

As for LeafGreen and FireRed, I think they are very good games and they definitely make the games better. Hell, they make them tolerable. Blue was my first Pokemon game and I liked it at the time, but they have aged TERRIBLY and I would never choose to go back to them when I could just play the remakes. The only fault I came lay on FFLG is the ANNOYING TUTORIALS! They seem never ending at the start.

+ Black 2: 2581 1942 8822
    Serperior - Magmortar - Lucario - Zororak - Espeon - Vaporeon

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

FRLG were nowhere near good enough for remakes. They just took the originals, gave them a new lick of paint, put in the things that had been added to the series since Gen II, and shoehorned the Sevii Islands in. That was it.

HGSS took things to the next level - it didn't just give them a new lick of paint and added in the things that had been introduced since Gen III - it improved the level curve post game, hugely improved the Kanto region, added in a few new ideas (eg. Pokemon following the player, menu on the touch screen, etc.), and added some new locations in.

Hopefully the RSE remakes will do what HGSS did, but instead of just adding in the new things from Gen IV and V, seeing as it won't be released until Gen VI, it'll be able to add in more new stuff, as well as 3D effects as well.

OSHAWHAT?

Quote Originally Posted by Pidgeot View Post
    FRLG were nowhere near good enough for remakes. They just took the originals, gave them a new lick of paint, put in the things that had been added to the series since Gen II, and shoehorned the Sevii Islands in. That was it.
    They also made it possible to catch certain older Pokemon into Gen III games.
    Seasons =/= Regions

Add Chiss on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Pidgeot View Post

HGSS took things to the next level - it didn't just give them a new lick of paint and added in the things that had been introduced since Gen III - it improved the level curve post game, hugely improved the Kanto region, added in a few new ideas (eg. Pokemon following the player, menu on the touch screen, etc.), and added some new locations in.

Hopefully the RSE remakes will do what HGSS did, but instead of just adding in the new things from Gen IV and V, seeing as it won't be released until Gen VI, it'll be able to add in more new stuff, as well as 3D effects as well.
    Hoenn in 3D sounds magnificent.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

You know, now that I've seen what Gen VI has to offer, I'm much more open to RS remakes.

I've always loved the remakes. They add little bits and pieces that weren't in the games the first time around. They give you the opportunity to play the old game with mechanics that may not have existed back then.

Hoenn was not my favorite region, but I would buy a remake just to see what they can do with the region now!
    An IceFox who prefers fire types? That's... interesting.
    I'm more partial to blues and greens as well~

Remakes are so much fun! It brings back so many memories of the past that could not have been remember by Photos!

Roll on RSE Remakes! Groudon vs. Kyogre cutscene in 3D yes please!
    sonic10158 likes this.
    WinterVines 3:53 pm
    im sorry women are difficult
    i understand why some should stay in the kitchen

I think Game Freak does an amazing job with remakes, and they make a huge improvement from the original versions. I really liked how they added the Sevii Islands to add more post-gameplay.

Perhaps it's just blind nostalgia speaking, but honestly, I think the remakes don't do the originals justice. I mean, in terms of gameplay, they do, but in terms of general atmosphere, it just doesn't capture the same mood.

I felt the music was incredibly weak in FireRed/Leafgreen and not fitting to the moods of the original score. A lot of the music sounded like orchestral covers of the songs as opposed to the songs themselves.

But like I said, it's probably because I have a strong bias for the original. They're not bad remakes, and I certainly don't mind them being made. They serve the ever-important role of bringing the past generations to newer players and allowing us catch otherwise unobtainable Pokémon. So yeah, I'm happy they're around, but I'm not too fond of some of the way they translate into the newer technology.
    Reila likes this.

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

Both sets of remakes are an improvement in every possible way you could think of.

Blog Entries

HGSS improved GSC a lot. I mean, I found GSC boring when I played it and HGSS was a bit entertaining.
    FRLG though... It may have been a big improvement over Red & Blue, but I still enjoy playing the original versions more.

Quote Originally Posted by Otika View Post
    Perhaps it's just blind nostalgia speaking, but honestly, I think the remakes don't do the originals justice. I mean, in terms of gameplay, they do, but in terms of general atmosphere, it just doesn't capture the same mood.
    This, especially regarding RB~FRLG. The remakes totally ruined the mood and atmosphere of the originals imo.