Dawn's hair
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dawn's hair

Unhappy Dawn's hair

I find it odd that Dawn from the games and Platinum from SPECIAL both have black hair but Dawn in the Anime has blue hair.

The only reason for that I can think of is to make her hair the same color as Johanna's hair which does not seem needed with Red's mom having blue to his brown hair, Ash's mom being red to his black, & the GSC mom's redesign hair in HGSS being brown to Ethan's black.

So it does seem odd to me at lest.

In glorious technicolor The Outrage's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Dawn's hair

It's because her game's sprite makes it look blue. They do the same thing with Ethan's hair for his sprite.

Blog Entries

It could be taken either way, IMO.

If you want to take a realistic approach, then yes, her hair could very well be black. Black is shown to be tinted blue in light.

If you want to be more creative you can say that her hair is blue. It's a Japanese game, there will be people with crazy hair colors.

IMO, her hair in the games is more of a blackish-blue than pure black or pure blue.

AdvanceShipper Dawn Fan HeatTagShipper

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just to throw a wrench in the works, Mitsumi from DPA has green hair.

Blog Entries

Black hair shines blue? I have black hair. I around a lot of black-haired people. The only colour I've seen it naturally reflect as is brown, and that's in natural sunlight. The only time a person had a blue tint to their hair was when they actually dyed their hair blue and thought it would show on their black hair (which it didn't).

Music is Fun! Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

It's really not that bad. At least it's not like Saturn's hair. There really are a lot of people with crazy hair colors in pokemon. Jessie, James, Jupiter, Mars, even Barry's is a little too yellow for real life.

Dawn's hair is bright blue in the games.

Look at her game sprites, VS sprite, her intro sprites, and her back sprite.

Or almost any of her artworks, Sugimori drawn or not.

Only two (excluding her main one) draw her with either dark blue or..Purple.

For some reason Sugi went through a Hair Color Dissonance stage, especially in her Platinum artwork. Actually, it even looks like he just drew her hair with a darker shade of blue, navy blue from the looks of it, then her actual color. It's still blue.

Heck, Sugimori has drawn Dawn with a lighter blue tone.

Also, on Platina, her hair looks dark blue to me.

Quote Originally Posted by lamarfll View Post
    the GSC mom's redesign hair in HGSS being brown to Ethan's black.
    Lyra has brown hair you know. Ethan hasn't been shown as the protagonist for HGSS.
    Last edited by Somari; 7th June 2010 at 10:21 PM.

Follow Rainbow On Twitter Add Rainbow on Facebook Add Rainbow on Google+ Add Rainbow on MySpace
    Add Rainbow on Linkedin Follow Rainbow on Tumblr Follow Rainbow on Flickr Visit Rainbow's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Enzap06 View Post
    It's really not that bad. At least it's not like Saturn's hair. There really are a lot of people with crazy hair colors in pokemon. Jessie, James, Jupiter, Mars, even Barry's is a little too yellow for real life.
    Well that's the point. It's a video game. People can have any colour of hair from blood red to bright pink. I'm pretty sure dawn's hair is blue-black too.

Blog Entries

Her hair being black in the games (for some of her sprites at least) was likely a palette limitation. That's all I can think of.

Her representation in the anime is most likely the character designer's original intent, since they're not limited in colors when it comes to TV.

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Somari View Post
    Dawn's hair is bright blue in the games.

Look at her game sprites, VS sprite, her intro sprites, and her back sprite.

Or almost any of her artworks, Sugimori drawn or not.

Only two (excluding her main one) draw her with either dark blue or..Purple.

For some reason Sugi went through a Hair Color Dissonance stage, especially in her Platinum artwork. Actually, it even looks like he just drew her hair with a darker shade of blue, navy blue from the looks of it, then her actual color. It's still blue.

Heck, Sugimori has drawn Dawn with a lighter blue tone.

Also, on Platina, her hair looks dark blue to me.

Lyra has brown hair you know. Ethan hasn't been shown as the protagonist for HGSS.
    Considering that Sugimori is the one who draws the official game artwork, her hair is black. The other people are taking artistic liberties due to her hair colour in the games. Ethan has blue hair in the games when he clearly has black hair, his beta sprite was originally a solid black but that was changed, probably because they found that a bluish tint looked better (and didn't clash with his black hat). That's probably the reason for Dawn's origional blue tint. Her shirt is black, if her hair was black, the contrast wouldn't be that good in the games considering that they probably don't have as much access to different colour shades as official artwork would.

There was no hair colour dissonance in Sugimori's artwork between games. Dawn's hair is clearly still the same shade it was in DP. Her Platinum hair is clearly a shade of black considering that the highlights are shades of gray.

Now really, if you are going to argue Dawn has blue hair, then Ethan does as well because he's in the same situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katelynn View Post
    Her hair being black in the games (for some of her sprites at least) was likely a palette limitation. That's all I can think of.

Her representation in the anime is most likely the character designer's original intent, since they're not limited in colors when it comes to TV.
    You realize her official game artwork is the one with black hair, and the official artwork for the games are usually drawn better than their anime models most of the time due to some of the show's animators. It's the games' sprites that have shown her hair to be blue

For a place that's "not limited" to colour, they sure made Volkne's hair so dull in the anime as compared to his game art when it came to shading. Of course, the games are limited in colour as they made Volkner's hair incredibly bright in his sprite and of course, that's where Dawn's hair had first turned up blue.

Even in the anime how blue Dawn's hair is in the black-blue spectrum seems to change up a bit.
    Last edited by The Outrage; 8th June 2010 at 09:55 AM.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

These threads are the threads that really annoy me. It's just a hair colour. There's many reasons why her anime hair is blue, but it's nothing to make a thread of.

Blog Entries

I thought it was blue since it would probably look better than black. Thats it.

Blog Entries
    Follow Takoto On Twitter
    Follow Takoto on Tumblr

Pretty sure her game-hair is meant to be blue.

~Giovanni Fan|★|Silver Fan~
    ★ An Illustration student from the UK; with a particular love of black tea, cats, deer, jellyfish, octopus, moths and the colour purple ★
    ♥ Umbreon, Gardevoir, Drifloon, Joltik, Gengar, Malamar ♥ Mewtwo, Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Darkrai, Xerneas ♥
    ~ DeviantArtTwitterTumblr ~

I control the future. YoshiSage's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dawn's hair always looks blue to me, not black.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mask Marauder
    Just to throw a wrench in the works, Mitsumi from DPA has green hair.
    <insert clever anecdote here>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast