14 41.18%
  • I don't care

7 20.59%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cries of Gen I pokemon

Arms... like... nooodles! The Togekiss's Avatar

Follow The Togekiss on Tumblr

Default Re: Cries of Gen I pokemon

The older cries do sound odd compared to the newer cries, but i think they should be kept the way they are. except maybe having the same tone,but less robotic-sounding

My deviantArt account... http://thetogekiss.deviantart.com/
    Claimed: Togekiss (yay!) ,Oblivious, Pokeradar,and Razor Fang! July 8th, 2012, Air Slash July 20th, 2012

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jolty Febe View Post
    ...i think they shouldn't go....their probably is a difference between charizard and rhydon, at first glance persian and horsea have the same cry but they really don't.....and the ones that are different are one i thoroughly enjoy(eeveelution family)....
    Nope, Charizard's and Rhydon's cries are exactly the same. Same frequency, pitch, same length, same cry.

Anyway, maybe they could use the revamped cries from the Stadium games. They sound pretty up to date.

It's a bit surprised they didn't use the Stadium cries. They must have intentionally been using the GB cries for the sake of nostalgia. Neither really bothers me, and I'm glad they didn't mix-and-match between them.

I do love the old Gen I and II cries because of nostalgia, but I do think it's time to update them. Yes they have an old-school charm that hearkens back to the "old days" of Pokémon, but they just sound really out of place now. Let's face it, the designers did the best they could with the GameBoy's limited sound tools, but technology has improved a lot, and so should their cries. As it is now, the differences are way too jarring, they honestly sound like they came from a completely different game series. This is especially odd with Gen I/II Pokémon who've received new evolutions in later games (e.g. the new Eeveelutions, they don't sound like they "belong" together with the classic ones).

They've been updated everywhere else from Gen to Gen, with new sprites, movepools, added natures, new evolutions, and even new types (in the case of Magnemite/Magneton) that reflect the changes in the games, so it seems odd that the old cries wouldn't follow suit.

That said, they shouldn't necessarily have completely new cries, just "update" the old ones. That is, keep the same sort of feel, but with the newer sound tools (and please, differentiate between Charizard/Rhyhorn and Poliwag/Ditto). It'd make them sound more fresh and blend them in with later generations, making them all feel like they properly belong in the same game. Plus, it'd add a whole new layer of nostalgia to the older games when we look back and hear what they used to sound like.

Interestingly, there's even precedent for this. Magnemite had his cry changed in Gen II thanks to improved sound techniques, remaining the only Pokémon to have done so.

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd like if they got their cries remade. Keep them the same "form", but done with better... sounds, if that makes sense.

Like for instance, Articuno keeping its iconic singing-like cry, but instead of played by an square wave as if it were sung by a bird.

I don't remember the cries in Stadium... was it something like this?

[/overexposition]

追放されたバカ

I think they should be replaced with the Pokemon saying their names!

I think some should be updated, but some shouldn't.

Follow Treacle on Tumblr

I think they should be replaced with the Pokemon saying their names!
    God no, never... The anime can keep that to itself, I hope that never leaks into other media... But maybe update the cries and make them sound more realistic and modern? With a GB Sounds type thing to hear the old ones?

Blog Entries

I say change them. I'm sick of hurry just a bunch of HUNHEEREEHAAAH when I send out my pokemon.

Master of Ghosts......... Gengarzilla's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Gengarzilla on Tumblr Visit Gengarzilla's Youtube Channel

Changing them would send loyal Genwunners into a riot... Better safe than sorry, right?

Hypnodance FTW!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12