Catching with pokeballs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catching with pokeballs

The sun? Thats the hottest place on earth!

Default Catching with pokeballs

Have any others noticed this?

In D/P (I have Pearl), I noticed that using Ultra Balls on legends like Heatran and Regigigas don't exactly work, I used loads, but they don't even shake once, sometimes they do, the pokemon just break free. Somehow I caught Regigigas in a net ball, but only after 6 attempts of a ultra ball failing.

DOes this work? I read somewhere, if you hold down B while catching pokemon, it may have a better chance of being caught.

Also, in D/P, how do you catch skarmory? I have had a few failed attempts already, even with a few ultraballs

1. No, that cheat doesn't work. Even if it did work, it'd be for RBG.

2. You need to put damage on Skarmory, and all Pokémon for that matter.
    Steel types are harder to capture, apparently.

Actually, the typing of Pokemon has nothing to do with catching them. Skarmory is harder to catch because it has a catch rate tied for the lowest of any non-legendary.

For exactly how catching works, go here: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Catch_rate
    If 50 Cent had been STAB'd instead of shot, he would be 75 Cent.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinx3000 View Post

DOes this work? I read somewhere, if you hold down B while catching pokemon, it may have a better chance of being caught.

A
    OMGZZ it totly werkz! And in emrld if u fly on a Reyquiza to velstone 76 times in 1 our u ge tPIKABLU in a master ball that knows serf thunder blast nd a new specel atk cald obliterate which turns you into mewthirtyfive.one!!!one!111

Sorry.

Its an old trainers superstition from the RBY days, some still do it out of tradition, but generally, no. I've had unusual captures before, its all about luck/catch rates etc.
    "Shellos does not approve" - XD

3DS FC: 4468-0966-0032
    Version: Y
    Type: Water. Pokemon: Frogadier(PROTEAN,WOO!), Gyarados, Panpour.

POKÈMON WHITE FC: 4684-7670-8863

Add me if you like :)

- My D/P team.
    - My blue team .

the ultimate fire primate flaming infernape's Avatar
    Spear Pillar, taking over the Torn world and making Sinnoh colder by the minute

In D/P (I have Pearl), I noticed that using Ultra Balls on legends like Heatran and Regigigas don't exactly work, I used loads, but they don't even shake once, sometimes they do, the pokemon just break free. Somehow I caught Regigigas in a net ball, but only after 6 attempts of a ultra ball failing.
    For me, that sounds about the same as catching Uxie or Azelf, but while recently capturing Azelf, it got caught in 2 ultra balls. For Heatran, Use a Manaphy if you have one, because they can take Heatran attacks pretty well (but you will still need potions) and stall while you throw balls at it. For Regigigas, no experience, because I just got the regis a while ago, and their still in training.

I don't know about B, but I read somewhere that holding A or saying 'gotcha' into the microphone when trowing the ball increases the chances of capture.

Ultra Balls are typically outclassed by something better. As a general rule, only use Ultra Balls in broad daylight, after your first 5 turns (Don't waste Quick Balls between turns 6-10). Since Heatran and Regigigas are both battled indoors, Dusk Balls are a safer bet.

My strategy is typically to try and get the HP down in three turns or less, which leaves room for two Quick Ball attempts. Then stall, heal, and use Dusk Balls as necessary.

According to my calculations, at full health you should have a 27% chance of catching a sleeping or frozen Heatran (or any similar catch rate Pokémon) in your first 10 attempts. (You only have an 18% of catching an unstatused Heatran within your first 25 attempts with Dusk Balls, by comparison). Ideally, a sleeping or frozen Heatran at 1HP should be close to 39% within the first 5 and 63% within the first 10 (an unstatused Heatran at 1HP is 35% within the first 10 and 62% within the first 20)

There's a 50% chance of catching Heatran unstatused at full health in 44 attempts or less (22 attempts if Heatran is sleeping or frozen, 30 if paralyzed, poisoned, or burned). At 1HP, this is down to 15 unstatused (8 if sleeping or frozen, 10 if paralyzed, poisoned, or burned)

It depends on the max hp and defense of the pokemon, compared to the grade of the ball theres an equation for it somewhere on this site. And Ultra balls are always better then poke balls
    My Dragonite is better then yours!

Don't make Twilight angry PokemonHero's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, ultra balls are good, but I've caught legendarys using Timer Balls, Quick Balls, and Dusk Balls. I caught an Eevee (not legendary I know) in Diamond with a Dive Ball. Approperiately, I had evolve into a Vaporeon.

I still press the A button when capturing from force of habit.

But, no it doesn't work, A or B. And Skarmory, I caught mine with like, one Ultra Ball, so I don't really get why it wouldn't work fro anyone else. Guess I'm just really lucky.:)

Smile

I have caught a Skarmory with a pokeball!

Dialga and Palkia is very easy to catch. I got Dialga with only one Hyper Ball when it's HP was yellow. But ordinary wild Pokemon is really hard to catch in DP, compared to the older games. Catching Pokemon in RSE was a lot easier than in DP. I'm surprised by this. Is it really harder to catch Pokemon in DP (except Dialga/Palkia)? I can seldom catch Pokemon (around Lv.2-16)in one try with their HP full any more.
    Captain Lincoln Stern, you stand here accused of...
    12 counts of murder in the first degree
    14 counts of armed theft of Federation property
    22 counts of piracy in high space
    18 counts of fraud
    37 counts of rape
    and 1 moving violation....how do you plead?

I Quick Ball nearly everything, and Dusk Ball anything that is still not captured after 5 turns (the only time I broke out the Ultra Balls is when it is during the day).

From what I can tell, the catch rate formula is unchanged from G3. From what I can tell, the catch rates of the newer Pokémon are not much different from G3. Some of the more notable Pokémon don't have (relatively) high rates, though.

If anything, for me, catching Pokémon is easier with G4 games, just because of the 4x balls (previously you had to stall to earn 4x). Having said that, though, I couldn't believe I caught Groudon on Ruby in three Ultra Balls without status (it's acutally a roughly 10% shot that you can grab a low-health Groudon in three Ultra Balls or less, but still...)

Dialga I caught in 5 turns:
    * Turn 1: lead off with Staraptor, who does Close Combat. Dialga now in the red. Dialga Roar of Time, critically injures Staraptor
    * Turn 2: Switch to Empoleon. Dialga recharges.
    * Turn 3: Quick Ball - failed. Dialga Roar of Time again. Empleon is KOed (it was at 50%). Garchomp is in.
    * Turn 4: Quick Ball again - failed.
    * Turn 5: Dialga is caught with Quick Ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Expherious View Post
    It depends on the max hp and defense of the pokemon, compared to the grade of the ball theres an equation for it somewhere on this site.
    You mean the one I posted a link to in this thread? Also, defense doesn't have anything to do with catch rate.

Quote Originally Posted by kelvSYC View Post
    Some of the more notable Pokémon don't have (relatively) high rates, though.

If anything, for me, catching Pokémon is easier with G4 games, just because of the 4x balls (previously you had to stall to earn 4x). Having said that, though, I couldn't believe I caught Groudon on Ruby in three Ultra Balls without status (it's acutally a roughly 10% shot that you can grab a low-health Groudon in three Ultra Balls or less, but still...)
    Dialga and Palkia have the highest catch rate of any legendary Pokemon to date (30). Can't believe I wasted my Master ball on one. No others are higher than 5.

I actually found catching easiest in Gen II, when there were level balls. I'd just send out my level 100 Wigglytuff, sing, and throw one. Worked almost every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesus Is Lord View Post
    Dialga and Palkia have the highest catch rate of any legendary Pokemon to date (30). Can't believe I wasted my Master ball on one. No others are higher than 5.
    Hmm. I'll bear that in mind for when I next encounter a legendary. I set myself the objective of catching Palkia without using the Masterball. It took me about three goes - and far too many balls of various kinds (I can get more money, after all) - but I managed it. Palkia in an Ultra Ball. And I don't really care to battle with the thing, but there you go...

Pocket Full of Sunshine Charmander009's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wish i tried some of these. I wasted 30 odd Ultra-balls trying to catch Regigigas...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast