Cascoon/Silcoon questions

Thread: Cascoon/Silcoon questions

Joshu/Jindai/Hyouta Fan Maverynthia's Avatar

Default Cascoon/Silcoon questions

I've been searcing far and wide for a definitive answer on Cascoon/Silcoon.
    I have a wurple/Kemusso already that is at level 6 and ALWAYS evolves into Cascoon. Just for grins I cought another bug and it evolved into Silcoon. I'm wondering if the time of day when the wurmple/kemusso was caught affect it's evolution. The one I first caught was most likely PM time while the one I just caught was AM time....

After it's at level 6 is there anyway to make it become a Silcoon, or is it pretty much doomed to evolve into cascoon no matter what I do? (Which seems to be the likely thing.)

φιλομαθής Zhen Lin's Avatar Vice-Webmaster

It is determined from the moment you encounter the Wurmple, and is completely random and not linked to gender or nature (directly).

Pokémon Capture Expert paperfairy's Avatar

Nor is it determined by the time of day, like PUSA has told us.

don't like something? fix it. stop complaining about it.

OK, though it sucks since I wasted time an some effort at the time to try and get it there.. :/
    I'll do more research into the Cascoon/Silcoon subject. Unless time of day affect the % of it turing into one or the other... hrmm..must research....

I think I heard somewhere that the male was more likely to evolve to a Cascoon and the female a Silcoon, although it still is completely random. Hahah. To save yourself the trouble, why not catch the Cascoon or Silcoon? ^^;

Although it would be nice to know what affects it. =X

Quote Originally Posted by Zhen Lin
    It is determined from the moment you encounter the Wurmple, and is completely random and not linked to gender or nature (directly).

After doing some research I did notice that the males tended to be cascoons and the females silcoons... I also started to notice a pattern Cascoon x 2 Silcoon Cascoon Silcoon Cascoon x2 etc... :x It may have just happened that way, but the second silcoon was male and the first silcoon was female and the other cascoons were also male...

Well for good research (statistically significant data) you need to do A LOT of repetitions (IMO 100+ trials) otherwise things can still just be coincidental

I found this in the Nintendo Power's Pokemon Emerald Guide. This is what it shows as extra info. in Wurmple's, Silcoon's, and Cascoon's Pokedex entries:
    Wurmple will evolve into either Silcoon or Cascoon when it reaches Level 7. Which evelution it makes is determined by the time of day, though the timing is so complex that it seems random.

φιλομαθής Zhen Lin's Avatar Vice-Webmaster

Nintendo Power has been known to give misinformation.

Though it is not entirely false, either. If the random number generator in the game uses the time as a seed value, then yes, it is time-linked, but it will be near-impossible to predict.