Blue And Yellow: Deciding which one was the true Third Version to GenI

View Poll Results: Which is the true Third Version of GenI?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blue

35 27.78%
  • Yellow

91 72.22%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Blue And Yellow: Deciding which one was the true Third Version to GenI

Blog Entries

Default Blue And Yellow: Deciding which one was the true Third Version to GenI

This is something that keeps coming up lately, so I think it's time we finely let the community just vote on it.

The argument is simple: What is the true Third Version to Generation I: Blue Version (JP) or Yellow.

Blue Version was the third Pokemon game released in Japan in October of 1996. It was a minor revision to the original Red and Green versions that were released earlier that same year, and was originally only available to subscribers of CoroCoro. Blue had the same story as it's predecessors, but offered a slight update to the graphics and sounds from the original two versions, and also fixed several known glitches. When it was time to start releasing Pokemon in other regions, the original Red and Green versions provided the version exclusive lists, but Blue provided the graphics, game engine, and script for translation.

Yellow Version was released in Japan in September of 1998. Yellow was originally intended to give GF time to do some re-tweaking on the at-then upcoming GenII games. It was the fourth game released in Japan, but was the third game released world wide. While Yellow followed the same basic storyline as the other Generation 1 games, there were a few key differences that set it apart. Instead of choosing between Bulbasaur, Charmander, or Squirtle at the beginning of the game, the player is given a Pikachu. The player's rival receives an Eevee as his starter Pokemon, and chooses it's evolution based on the outcome of several early game battles against him. The other three starter Pokemon can be received about a quarter way through the game after certain conditions have been met. Jessie and James from the anime have several appearances throughout the game and can be battled. Also of note, level-up and TM compatibility were changed slightly. (This was actually the first game in the series where Charizard could learn Fly.)

Something for nothing Cyber Jet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Blue And Yellow: Deciding which one was the true Third Version to GenI

I think it should be yellow as blue is what they used to make red/blue when pokemon was released outside of Japan and yellow added new content and had alot of updates from blue(jp) and red/blue such as glitch fix's and new sprites and much more.

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Blue And Yellow: Deciding which one was the true Third Version to GenI

Yellow was the one which changed the plot even if slightly. Blue was identical to RG.

Me!
    Blog Entries

Blue
    Even if it was realeased as joint 1st out of Japan it was still the third pokemon game ever made. It's that simple.
    I reserve the right to randomly sign my messages.
    My 3rd Medalist Pokemon was Magikarp, and it earned that position alone with no other species.
    I have too many Bouncekarp.

Blog Entries
    Follow That Guy On Twitter Add That Guy on Facebook Add That Guy on Google+
    Visit That Guy's Youtube Channel

Yellow. It has the differences to qualify it as a 'third version' even though it's not literally the third version, whereas Blue was more of a correction rather than an explicitly-redone slightly-different version.
    Yeah, I write weirdly dark stuff sometimes. Birdsong, I Can't See The Light and The Courteous Soldier, if you're interested.

I run the Yourovision Song Contest. Join us!
    Alternatively, partake of my vlogs, Eurovision reviews and LPs on my second YouTube channel.

OSHAWHAT?

Yellow.

Was the true fourth game.

Blue came out third. Yellow had more features than Blue but it came out fourth.
    Seasons =/= Regions

Blog Entries

Blue is the third version. Yellow was a special edition based off the anime, hence the Japanese name being Pocket Monsters Pikachu and the English version having the subtitle Special Pikachu Edition.
    I still can’t believe my dragons lost to you, Red! You’re now the Pokémon League champion! …Or, you would have been, but you have one more challenge ahead. You have to face another Trainer! His name is… Blue! He beat the Elite Four before you. He is the real Pokémon League champion! -Lance

Blog Entries

I think it would be Blue version; because with the other third versions theres always some adjustments but nothign too major.
    In the case of yellow, it follows the anime too closely and the other third versions do not
    I claimed Victreebel

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

Blue changed nothing but the graphics. In fact, its closer to a remake.

Calling any game a 'third version' is wrong. We are looking for 'updated deluxe version'.

And Yellow doesn't even follow the anime that closely. Brock and Misty don't travel with you, the league isn't a tournament but exactly like the one in previous games (A gauntlet of 4 follewed by the champion), you actually win the league, etc.

Also known as Kameinu. himanuts's Avatar
    Follow himanuts On Twitter Add himanuts on Facebook Add himanuts on Google+
    Follow himanuts on Tumblr Visit himanuts's Youtube Channel

There is also Red's team to consider in GSCHGSS.

I can understand how how Yellow could be the "true third game". But the reason for creating it wasn't exactly the same as with Crystal, Emerald, Platinum and the eventual Grey. Those games are revisions of the first two, and if they want, expand on the story.

Blue is that, a revision.

Yellow was just created to promote the anime, or something along those lines.

I can't really come to a conclusion, and nor do I care to much. But look forward to reading posts, this debate should be interesting.

DCM
    Blog Entries

I think you worded this poorly, or perhaps it's just the circumstance that put you in such an awkward position.

Although it is not literally the third game, Yellow set the precedent for other games such as Emerald, Platinum and Crystal. So in that sense, it is the first "third game".

we really should come up with another name for those...
    “And as to you life, I reckon you are the leavings of many deaths, No doubt I have died myself ten thousand times before.”

W.W.

Yes, I am THAT gli. :P Gligar13's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Blue.

Yellow was Pokemon: Anime Fan Edition. And just like the anime, it was filler until GSC came out.
    dA::YT::furaffinity::Yes, I DID claim Gligar.

Blue is the true 3rd version. It may not have brought as much to the table as other 3rd games, but it was the first gen so it doesn't really matter, it was an improvement of the first two, & that's the base idea.

Yellow was just released for the anime fans. It is not the true third version. The games and manga are canon, not the anime.
    claims: Surfing Pikachu, Color Change, Pidgeotto, Johanna (<3)

DCM
    Blog Entries

Pokemon Yellow was not solely released for anime fans, nor was it only bought by anime fans. Thus, Pokemon Yellow is canon.
    “And as to you life, I reckon you are the leavings of many deaths, No doubt I have died myself ten thousand times before.”

W.W.

Quote Originally Posted by DCM View Post
    Pokemon Yellow was not solely released for anime fans, nor was it only bought by anime fans. Thus, Pokemon Yellow is canon.
    True. But it was made with anime fans in mind, & also has blatant anime aspects/references. Yes, there is a Yellow section of the manga, but the game doesn't relate to the manga in the case of Yellow; it's more of a alternative version where you can play the anime, to an extent. I did word my post wrong. Yellow is canon, but Blue is the true 3rd game canon. Yellow is in it's own bracket, in my eyes.
    claims: Surfing Pikachu, Color Change, Pidgeotto, Johanna (<3)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast