berry glitch and patch question

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: berry glitch and patch question

Default berry glitch and patch question

i'm pretty sure my version of sapphire has the berry glitch.
    i looked up the patch and performed all the steps but as soon as the transfer begins my copy of sapphire says it is unable to perform the berry program update.
    does anyone know why it says this and is there anything I can do about it?

Do you know the history of your cartridge? The last person who had this problem actually had a cartridge that had data ripped from a rom and that's why it failed.

i bought it used through amazon about two months ago.

Oooh, sounds like there IS a possibility it's counterfeit, especially if you bought it REALLY cheap. Maybe you should contact them and ask whereabout it came from. I can't think of any other reason the berry update program wouldn't work. Anyone else?

ouch. that's pretty painful.
    i think i bought it used for ten bucks.
    it's been able to trade dozens of pokemon back and forth between my copy of firered without any problems, though.
    there any other way i might be able to check if this is a counterfeit?

Protecting Gotham City Geodude's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Geodude On Twitter
    Follow Geodude on Tumblr

Any way to look up the sales history and current items for sale of the person you bought it from? If anything seems suspicious, there you go.

XBL: Shiny Geodude -- PSN: ShinyGeodude

I just thought of something else. When you turn the game on, does the game notify you that the internal battery has run dry and time-based events will no longer occur? I've heard that the berry glitch fix won't work if the cartridge can't keep track of time anymore anyway.

no. when i turn on sapphire all it says is
    the save file will be loaded - the game can be played

Hmmm... it shouldn't say anything like that when you turn the game on. It sounds like you do have a dead battery. However, it ALSO might still be counterfeit because I don't think Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire has been out long enough for the internal battery to die yet. The roms have the same problem, but some emulators will use your computer clock to bypass the problem, whereas your Gameboy Advance can't. That's the reason the berry glitch update won't work on fake copies anyway.

Your best bet is to just invest in a brand new copy of Pokemon Sapphire to ensure authenticity and maximum internal battery life and trade all your Pokemon over from your current Sapphire if it will work.

It would also be a good idea to do what Geodude said and try to find online where and who you bought the cartridge from and look to see if his other sales look fishy. If so, you can then report him for selling counterfeit copyrighted goods to unsuspecting people.

i couldn't find any sales from him or his amazon storefront.
    so long as I can trade all these pokemon i've caught and leveled up to either firered or a ds game i'll be fine, and i know i can.
    this was mostly just to get berries for mt feebas to grow. i can eventually do that in pearl or diamond.
    thanks for your help.

Yes, I am THAT gli. :P Gligar13's Avatar
    Blog Entries

one way to tell if it is a fake to check the color of the cart. A real Pokemon sapphire game is clear blue. A fake is standard GBA Grey. The battery may be dead as well
    dA::YT::furaffinity::Yes, I DID claim Gligar.

You're welcome.

my cartridge is clear blue. i would've noticed right when i got the game if it wasn't the clear blue.
    i just beat the elite four today and it says my hall of fame data is corrupt when i check it. could that relate to the game being counterfeit?
    why is it that the hall of feature relates to games that malfunction?

Relax and have fun. The Power of Pika's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arejay0 View Post
    my cartridge is clear blue. i would've noticed right when i got the game if it wasn't the clear blue.
    i just beat the elite four today and it says my hall of fame data is corrupt when i check it. could that relate to the game being counterfeit?
    why is it that the hall of feature relates to games that malfunction?
    I've heard of that happening with counterfeits. Though here's a few things to check.

On label is there an imprint number on the label that you can only see when held to light. For example my fire red GBA game has the imprint 11 on it, my japanese green version GB game has the imprint 20A on it and my Sapphire has the number 08. If you look at a legit cartridge you have already that you know is legit there should be an imprint so you get an idea on what it looks like. Then look at the Sapphire you have and see if the imprint is there chances are if it's there it won't be the same number as my Sapphire. Sometimes they're the same and sometimes it's a different number. That's okay if it's different or the same. The main thing is the number/letter imprinted on the label usually has to be there with GBA games going by all the GBA/GB games I own. It's something to do with the production number.

On the back it should say the model number (my fire red is AGB-002 but chances are it may have a different number) and the pat. Pend. Made in japan.

Now look above the connectors and it should have above (the date, Nintendo and another number).
    Though the Nintendo stuff above the connectors sometimes end up hidden due to the way the cartridge was put together at times. Though the majority of the time you can see that written just above the connectors.

The reason I point this out because I once landed a fake Gold version years ago. It did not have the imprint number on it. It also did not have the pat pend and all the other stuff. It didn't even have made in japan on the back.

Hopefully that's some help in workinh out whether it's legit or not.

Practically I'm leaning towards a fake cartridge or a broken cartidge.

If you find that it has all the stuff then chances are it's broken/glitched. Whether it'd be a battery (but I'm pretty sure it'd say different if it's a battery but I'm not 100% sure.) or just completely broke. Then I'd be getting a new copy if I were you.

Just to note from one thing you said.
    "the save file will be loaded - the game can be played"

I have lost count how many times people have said on other forums that that message is a high chance of it being fake. Though I'm just going by what other people said on other forums. So I thought I might mention that.

Though if the cartridge is just broken in some shape or form then it'd probably come up with weird things anyway. I'd suggest just checking everything and since you said it's corrupting the hall of fame after the elite 4 it doesn't look like it's working 100% anyway. So replacing it maybe your best bet.=/
    Last edited by The Power of Pika; 21st May 2008 at 06:57 AM.

My name is Daffy Duck, I worked on a Merry-Go-Round, The job was swell,
    I did quite well,Till the Merry-go-round broke down.
    (Hoo-hoo! Hoo-hoo! Hoo! Hoo! Hoo-hoo!)

The sun? Thats the hottest place on earth!

Good advice, The Power of Pika. I have a few things as well to tell if game is fake or not:

Is the sticker on the cartridge on straight and is it good quality? ALl nintendo stickers are on straight (unless it was removed and stuck back on for some reason) and many fakes have poor uality stickers, which, is not the case for actual nintendo cartridges.

what box did it come in? Many of the boxes for copied games will be really shiny and have a plastic like feel about them genuine nintendo boxes are better than this and have a sort of matt like feel.

here is a list of hacks/fakes that have been around:

Pocket Monsters Go Go! (hack of Smurfs)
    Pokemon Adventure (hack of a Sonic game)
    Combo-system Pokemon games (hacks of old arcade/NES titles)
    Pokemon Jade and Pokemon Diamond (hacks ot Telefang Speed and Telefang Power - not to be confused with the real Diamond/Pearl for DS)
    Fake Pokemon Crystal (real Pokemon Crystal hack)
    Pokemon Sapphire for GBC
    Pokemon Cyber (hack of Metroid Prime Hunters)
    Pokemon Chaos Black (hack of Fire Red)
    Pokemon Quartz (hack of Ruby/Sapphire)
    Pokemon Naranja (hack of Fire Red/Leaf Green to include Orange Islands)
    Pokemon Perla (hack of Ruby/Sapphire)

pic of fake roms:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast